Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

backup gun or ammo?

glocklover

I'm trying to decide if I shouldbuy a backup gun or should I dump my money into ammo? I'm afraid my gun will blowup and I won't have anything to shoot. However, I'm not going to get any better if I don't shoot a lot. Should I take the chance that my gun willbe fine or should I buy a new gun? What would you guys do?

why are you afraid your gun will blow up?

I shot the entire season last year with one gun and never had a single problem. I'll have a new gun in the next couple of weeks for single stack so last year's gun will be a backup, but it never worried me. I have faith in my gear

Factory pistols generally don't go boom. When they do the most likely cause is bad ammo (reloads/overpressure) Is there a reason to think your firearm will suffer a severe malfunction?

Normal Malfunctions can be caused by poor maintenance, but guns don't 'blow up' (that is pretty serious). If it malfunctions, clean it.

Normally I'd say get ammo, but the way you phrase it makes it seem like there is something else going on.

Edited by Crazy Scientist

I would say ammo. Glocks do not blow up all the time like you hear sometimes. If your shooting factory ammo, it is even more rare. If something does break on a glock, parts ar avaliable cheap and are easily installed. There really is nothing on a glock that can not be swapped out on the range in under 5 min with a 3/32 pinpunch and a tiny flat head. A backgup gun is nice but on a glock I would pass and go with ammo.

I'm trying to decide if I shouldbuy a backup gun or should I dump my money into ammo? I'm afraid my gun will blowup and I won't have anything to shoot. However, I'm not going to get any better if I don't shoot a lot. Should I take the chance that my gun willbe fine or should I buy a new gun? What would you guys do?

First thing...seriously, deep breaths and relax...ok? I am still figuring out your "afraid my gun will blowup" thing. Wow. Please, no disrespect intended here. I'm just trying to understand. mellow.gif

Jim

I shot the entire season last year with one gun and never had a single problem. I'll have a new gun in the next couple of weeks for single stack so last year's gun will be a backup, but it never worried me. I have faith in my gear

Faith won't get you very far.

And I remember a few problems last year. ;)

I would suggest you keep a few small parts in case you have a problem. I have started bringing a back up just in case, so there is no down time. I guess it depends on how your $ are. It is a reason to add another firearm to the collection.

Faith won't get you very far.

And I remember a few problems last year. ;)

haha touche :sight: but that wasnt a gun problem, that was an ammo problem. maybe i need some backup ammo? :blink:

I would suggest you keep a few small parts in case you have a problem. I have started bringing a back up just in case, so there is no down time. I guess it depends on how your $ are. It is a reason to add another firearm to the collection.

That's just it though. I have the money for a backup gun and just enough ammo to get me through the summer. But I could use the money for a lot more ammo.

Ammo. If you reload, make sure to do it properly and your gun won't go ka-boom. Regular maintenance on your gun and you'll be fine. Take care of your gun and it'll take care of you. In regards to the 2 other threads about glock going ka-boom, learn from their mistakes. Those were examples of not properly reloading and that's what happened. Slow and steady when reloading makes for safe ammo.

Edited by alpha-charlie

I have a G21 with over 90,000 rounds through it, still going strong. Buy AMMO or invest in reloading equipment and reload your own.

I reload my own that's what I'm worried about.

Just take your time while reloading, inspect every powder charge, and you'll be fine.

If you're new to reloading, just slow down a bit till you get more comfortable.

I have a backup to my G34. I have a back up to the backup, and multiple back ups to those as well.

I've never needed the backups, ever. Well, once, when I FORGOT TO BRING the primary, but, naturally, I forgot the backup too. :D

Buy components for ammo. Buy replacement spare parts for the Glock when you can afford to, but buy, make ammo and shoot first. Oh, and I roll my own. If you are conscientious, you shouldn't have an ammo related blow up, and, as pointed out above, Glocks are NOT prone to catastrophic failures with reasonable ammo.

Edited by kevin c

I have a backup to my G34. I have a back up to the backup, and multiple back ups to those as well.

I've never needed the backups, ever. Well, once, when I FORGOT TO BRING the primary, but, naturally, I forgot the backup too. :D

Buy components for ammo. Buy replacement spare parts for the Glock when you can afford to, but buy, make ammo and shoot first. Oh, and I roll my own. If you are conscientious, you shouldn't have an ammo related blow up, and, as pointed out above, Glocks are NOT prone to catastrophic failures with reasonable ammo.

How long have you been shooting?

Kevin, you are too funny! Come shoot with us on Feb 13 out at Solano...... :cheers: Kent