Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Cz/Tanfo vs S_I

Just wanted to see what you guys have to say about the recoil (.40) in the CZ style gun vs a S_I type of limited division gun?

I'm interested in this as well. If only just grabbing a few and shooting them were an option... As it stands, we have to rely on others for their opinions.

I will say that, for me, it's usually not the gun I'm shooting that determines how the recoil feels. Sure, there are a few factors that will amplify or negate a little muzzle flip here and there (bore height, the nose-heaviness of the gun), but those things have less of an impact than they're commonly given credit for. I mean, what is going to have a bigger impact on performance - an extra ounce of steel at the crown of the gun, or the 180lb man behind the gun having an inconsistent grip?

Ultimately, for me, .40's feel like .40's, 9's feel like 9's, and so on. Case in point: I have a CZ Shadow and a G34. Honestly, they feel very similar to me when I'm shooting them at speed, even though common wisdom suggests that the CZ should "soak up" a lot more of the recoil. As long as I'm gripping, standing, balancing properly, both feel very similar, and more importantly, both perform similarly on the clock. But the thing is, because I'm so used to shooting Glocks, I'm more consistent with with the Glock, and that makes it faster for me. So, in my humble opinion, the shooter is the real deciding factor here. Go with whatever one you feel you can be the most consistent with. If you're already shooting a CZ, I think that would be the Tanfoglio.

Well currently I have Tanfoglio Limited Custom HC and STI Edge at home. Both are stock guns except Edge has 17lb mainspring and 13lb recoil spring in it. I am a lot faster with Edge I just can control it better. Well if Tanfoglio would be properly tuned maybe difference would be less significant but I still think that Edge is more consistent at returning front sight in back notch. Two weeks ago I did a practice with Edge .40 and Tanfoglio Stock II in 9mm and the splits were the same and overall I was faster with Edge because of SA first shot and higher capacity.

Good points. I went from a Glock 34 to a Shadow and could tell a big difference in felt recoil. But again it's personal preference, with me my scores went up using my Shadow but I also felt more comfortable with my CZ. It's going to be awhile before moving to limited so I will have a chance to decide.

Good points. I went from a Glock 34 to a Shadow and could tell a big difference in felt recoil. But again it's personal preference, with me my scores went up using my Shadow but I also felt more comfortable with my CZ. It's going to be awhile before moving to limited so I will have a chance to decide.

I've heard this, but I can't say I really agree based on my personal experience. But that's my experience, and your's clearly differs. Part of the reason I think it's different from person to person is the fact that certain guns allow you to grip them differently depending on their design, your particular preferred grip, and your individual body dimensions. But again, that comes down to the shooter being the main differentiator, not the gun. So while I echo the advice to try different things (duh, lol), I honestly think that if the CZ works so well for you, it stands to reason the Tanfoglio will as well given how similar they are. Just me brainstorming "out loud."

I have a Tanfo limited but it's for sale and sale pending. I don't have much experience with STI type guns only shot one and liked it but like the grip on the CZ much better. I think I would like the SVI with the CZ style grip

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Tanfoglio's better than the 1911/2011 style and the CZ's. I have big hands, and the large frame on the the Tanfo's fits my hands better. I feel like I'm always hitting the slide catch with my thumb on a 1911/2011 whereas the Tanfoglio slide catch is farther back so I get a proper grip on the gun without my thumb hitting the slide catch. Also all the weight of a 1911/2011 slide makes it feel like the whole pistol is moving around more when the slide goes back into battery. Maybe that's why everyone lightens the 1911/2011 slides...?

• 2 months later...

I have a Tanfo limited but it's for sale and sale pending. I don't have much experience with STI type guns only shot one and liked it but like the grip on the CZ much better. I think I would like the SVI with the CZ style grip

You should try out the tactical sport. You seem to like heavier guns and it is even heavier then the shadow.

I just bought a sti edge .40 and sold my tanfo. for me the sti recoil has a better feel vs my limited. Both guns were using the same ammo but the tanfo seemed to have more felt recoil, that really suprised me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never shot a Tactical Sport but I would love to. my shadow shoots very soft so I could imagine the TS is the same. My tanfo seemed to have more felt recoil than my STI which suprised me.

• 1 year later...

To be more specific these should be compared witht he same barrel lengths. a TS has a 5.4 inch barrel while S_Is are 5 or 6, some 5.4 from svi now. But shooting the same loads a 5inch Edge with have a lower PF than shooting a 5.4 TS, and likewise a 6inch S_I will have a higher PF than a 5.4 TS. How much this affects recoil I dont know but I would assume some.

To be more specific these should be compared witht he same barrel lengths. a TS has a 5.4 inch barrel while S_Is are 5 or 6, some 5.4 from svi now. But shooting the same loads a 5inch Edge with have a lower PF than shooting a 5.4 TS, and likewise a 6inch S_I will have a higher PF than a 5.4 TS. How much this affects recoil I dont know but I would assume some.

You can load with less powder TS but at same PF it has a more barrel flip. Don't ask me why but that's how it is. I have few friends switching from TS to STI and all are saying that STI has less felt recoil and has a faster second shot acquisition.

Edit: I imagine that 5,4" S_I is even softer to shoot.

Edited by Maks_H

I went from the Tanfo Limited to the SVI.

With smaller hands, the SVI is just faster for me. Furthermore, my SVI is pretty damn light. =P I just feel it returns to target quicker than all of the weight on the tanfo.

It's not a proper S*I to CZ comparison, however I, like some posters above, also do not see much of a difference in felt recoil between the (lighter) M&P Pro and SP-01 Shadow shooting same loads. My results when practicing are a bit better (tighter groupings in the A area) with the Shadow, but I've been shooting it for almost a year vs the M&P Pro which I've just got.

I can't wait to receive my STI GP6C which supposedly feels different in recoil due to the rotating barrel design.

It's not a proper S*I to CZ comparison, however I, like some posters above, also do not see much of a difference in felt recoil between the (lighter) M&P Pro and SP-01 Shadow shooting same loads. My results when practicing are a bit better (tighter groupings in the A area) with the Shadow, but I've been shooting it for almost a year vs the M&P Pro which I've just got.

I can't wait to receive my STI GP6C which supposedly feels different in recoil due to the rotating barrel design.

I shot the 4.25 inch GP6 back to back with the SPO1 Shadow using the same ammo, and the GP6(K100) was less snappy in my hands than the all steel gun.

That surprised me. I was expecting the opposite.

Congrats on the GP6C. Where did you find a C? I wish I had spent the extra $100 back then when they had the two models side by side.