Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any problems with factory loads at chrono?

lrf

I've been involved in USPSA for a few months, and I am planning on my first major match at Area 5 this year. I started out in Limited and just switched to production. I just bought my first gun a few months ago and I don't have a reloading setup yet so I usually use federal red box. Has anyone had issues not making 125 with factory ammo? I use the same brand of ammo when I shoot limited, but 40 cal instead of 9. Any chrono issues with name brand common factory ammo for anyone? Federal, UMC, Winchester?

I've been involved in USPSA for a few months, and I am planning on my first major match at Area 5 this year. I started out in Limited and just switched to production. I just bought my first gun a few months ago and I don't have a reloading setup yet so I usually use federal red box. Has anyone had issues not making 125 with factory ammo? I use the same brand of ammo when I shoot limited, but 40 cal instead of 9. Any chrono issues with name brand common factory ammo for anyone? Federal, UMC, Winchester?

I witnessed Winchester "White Box" 115gr 9mm rounds fail to make 125PF out of a 4.25" barrel once. I'm sure the high altitude and cold temperature played a significant role. Luckily for the shooter, this wasn't a Major match.

If you are shooting the 40 you will not have a problem making at least minor. But if you don't make Minor its like you are not even at the match = normally no scores posted.

most large matches have "USPSA" match amoe available = it is guarantied to make the promised power factor. its used / intended for places that many shooters will have to fly to reach and that way they can have the match take care of the ammo.

I went sub-minor at a major with UMC 115gr (M&P 9mm 4.25")

I was going to chime in with UMC as well. It chronoed barely 122 for me once. Thank goodness, not at a match.

I think Blazer Brass just made 125.

Both 9mm of course.

What gun are you using in Production?

You can always buy some Atlanta Arms & Ammo, check it a couple of times on a chronograph (it's supposed to make about 133PF or so out of a G34) and use that for major matches. It will also be softer shooting than any normal factory ammo you're going to find. R,

What gun are you using in Production?

You can always buy some Atlanta Arms & Ammo, check it a couple of times on a chronograph (it's supposed to make about 133PF or so out of a G34) and use that for major matches. It will also be softer shooting than any normal factory ammo you're going to find. R,

I'm planning on getting a g34 in the coming weeks, and I'm familiar with Atlanta Arms, I have a price list for them as well. Right now I'm shooting my bone stock G19 carry gun. I was shooting the G35 so the G34 is a natural platform for me in production. I shot the g19 at a match today and I missed the longer barrel and pulled some shots off with the extra 2 pounds of pull! It was cool to shoot a match with my ccw gun though. G34 on The near horizon and I will try that ammo out if I don't find myself with a Dillon soon.....

Open17, Ive had a different experience with 40cal WWB 165's. At the MS Classic in '08 my G22 spit that 165 at 1001 fps. Thats not enough margin for error? ha ha! yeah, I was reeeeallly lucky. I think I ordered a Dillon 650 from the hotel internet that night! Don't bet on WWB making major, thats for sure.

-N