Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stocks: Magpul UBR vs ACE skeleton for 3 gun

kasen

I need to buy a stock for a lower I'm building to match an 18" Noveske upper that's primary purpose will be for 3 gun. This is a new upper for me and with the Burris XTR optic it's 12 ounces heavier than my familiar 16" upper (with it's rails, weapon light and Eotech).

Here's my dilemma, I was originally attracted to the ACE skeleton stock for it's weight savings and being a fixed stock the ACE seems perfect for a competition gun. However, the 18" Noveske upper feels front heavy to me (it has the Troy BattleRail XTR fore end). I do like the function and feel of the Magpul UBR, though it is heavy. Is it worth getting the UBR to give better counterbalance or is that just going to weigh down the rifle even more??

Edited by kasen

Have you considered the vltor rifle stock? This is a rifle stock I see no one really comment on and it comes in a1 and a2 lengths.

I love mine. You can always put weights in the storage compartments if you feel the need to balance the rifle out.

Cheap as well. I sold my magpul acs carbine set up for it. The cheek weld is AWESOME.

5358056407_26d68dcb42_b.jpg

Edited by JaeOne3345

I run a UBR with a 20" Lothar Walther barrel and iron sights. Ugliest thing I've seen at the range, I love it, pure function!!! To me it really helps balance out a front heavy rifle. I really don't notice the extra weight because it balances better. I know it sounds weird running a collapsible stock with a long barrel but it gives me a solid cheek weld without pulling my beard like the Vltor. It also allows me to shorten my length of pull and really get behind my sights in cramped areas on certain stages. For example: Shooting from the front seat of a vehicle or back against a wall. Fits in a smaller bag better as well.

SD15.jpg

edited for: Foliage green purely because of the cost savings at the GOING GREENsale

Edited by fleshoid

I run a UBR with a 20" Lothar Walther barrel and iron sights. Ugliest thing I've seen at the range, I love it, pure function!!! To me it really helps balance out a front heavy rifle. I really don't notice the extra weight because it balances better. I know it sounds weird running a collapsible stock with a long barrel but it gives me a solid cheek weld without pulling my beard like the Vltor. It also allows me to shorten my length of pull and really get behind my sights in cramped areas on certain stages. For example: Shooting from the front seat of a vehicle or back against a wall. Fits in a smaller bag better as well.

SD15.jpg

edited for: Foliage green purely because of the cost savings at the GOING GREENsale

Good point on the collapsible advantage for some stages. From what I'm hearing having more weight near the stock is an advantage with the heavy front end.

I like the Ace. I have it on all my rifles. Having said that I examined a ubr at a gun show today. I have to admit it is solid the stock does lock up very tight.

No movement. Your right it is ugly but if I was going to get an adjustable stock that is the one I would get.

The UBR is my favorite folding stock for all the reasons already mentioned, but it is heavy. The ACE is about as light as it gets...my new rifle has the same "nose heavy" feel as you describe (also with a 18" Noveske barrel), which is why the barrel will get fluted as soon as I get around to it :)

AR_Billet_1.JPG

Alex

I had an Ace until I shouldered a buddies rifle with a Vltor on it. Now all most all of my rifles have Vltors on them. Would never consider going back to the Ace. It is not a bad stock, it's just that once you lay your face on the Vltor, you will never look at your Ace (or any other stock for that matter) in the same way again.

Have you considered the vltor rifle stock? This is a rifle stock I see no one really comment on and it comes in a1 and a2 lengths.

I love mine. You can always put weights in the storage compartments if you feel the need to balance the rifle out.

Cheap as well. I sold my magpul acs carbine set up for it. The cheek weld is AWESOME.

5358056407_26d68dcb42_b.jpg

I know it isn't your fault but the laws that dictate that pistol grip make me wince.

:wacko:

SD15.jpg

You can rit dye it black. Mine was green too (I'll be putting irons on it as soon as my JP arrives):

167516_481215101740_661271740_6491958_2406340_n.jpg

I had an Ace until I shouldered a buddies rifle with a Vltor on it. Now all most all of my rifles have Vltors on them. Would never consider going back to the Ace. It is not a bad stock, it's just that once you lay your face on the Vltor, you will never look at your Ace (or any other stock for that matter) in the same way again.

exactly, the cheek weld on an vtltor is second to none. The acs cheek weld is good too.

I know it isn't your fault but the laws that dictate that pistol grip make me wince.

:wacko:

It's not too bad. Of course I would prefer it not there but the thumb really isn't an issue. It's better than having to the tip of a bullet to release the magazine.

This guy runs the same grip out in Cali and does pretty well with it: http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperSetCA

OK sorry for the thread jack. Back on topic.

I'd say give the vltor a try.

Edited by JaeOne3345

SD15.jpg

You can rit dye it black. Mine was green too (I'll be putting irons on it as soon as my JP arrives):

167516_481215101740_661271740_6491958_2406340_n.jpg

I've read the Rit Dye threads and decided I am just too lazy, plus I am noticing I can pick my rifle out of the rack a lot easier with the FGreen. I just got a Bushnell adjustable size red dot you may like. You can't dial range but you can adjust the dot from 1MOA to 10MOA. We put it on my friends AR-10 and with a 1MOA dot 300 yards is no problem. You can't adjust brightness but it senses surrounding light very well. 2 in the afternoon on a sunny day in AZ and it wasn't washing out.

I have a Magpul PRS as well but it was just a touch to heavy for this build. I think it will work well for you if you are putting the JP all the way out there to the end. :cheers:

To the OP, if you have facial hair get a UBR. If you don't care about adjustability, like your current ACE and just want more weight you could do the reverse hydraulic dampening thing. Or buy the Vltor and UBR and base another build off of the leftovers. See, that would give you an excuse right there for 3 rifles, Ace based, Vltor based and UBR. Then you can swap lowers all day long to see what balances best for each upper :devil:

If anyone has facial hair issues, it's easily fixed by putting some tape on thse parts where hair gets caught to "smooth" it out.

I just shave. Easier. lol.

If I'm too lazy to dye my stock, I'm too lazy to shave. Tape sounds like a good idea but in AZ the adhesive, as it oozes, would be even worse on my beard.....and then I'd have to shave :roflol: