Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Think I may be hooked - Which class

INGOglock34

I shoot my first USPSA match last fall and I think want to give USPSA a full try this year. The problem is I am still not sure what class make sense for me. I have been shooting steel for about two years with a G34. I have both a G34 and G35 and would want to shoot one of these in USPSA. I am all ready to order mag extentions and magwell for G35 to should Limited or L10 if that make sense. It seems like people prefer to shoot in the Limited or L10 class but not sure why. Is there an advantage of these over production. Is it because of the way production is scored? I am not expecting to go out and be the quickest as much as go out and have fun. I would think I would like to start in the class that I would be shooting should I still be shooting USPSA 3 years from now.

Before "Bart" jumps in, you need to determine which division you want to shoot. Class is earned by shooting classifiers. Small thing but it makes it easier for people to help. No disrespect intended, good luck with whatever division you choose.

You have everything to shoot production now. Give it a few months and see what you like or don't like. You can make decisions to purchase later. You may not need to purchase anything at all.

Production is shot with ten round mags. The scoring isn't really an issue because it's the same for everybody.

Many people, me included, like the capacity in Limited. It allows you to focus more on the shooting and less on reloading.

Shooting limited has definitely helped my Single Stack shooting a whole lot. The game just looks totally different when you attack it with a 20 round mag than it does from behind one with only ten rounds.

Both are fun, though. Just pick on and shoot for a while. You'll figure it out.

I suggest starting in Production with the G34, then Limited with the G35. With Production division's minor scoring, you have to be accurate and get mostly A hits to be competitive since a C hit is 3 points, and a D hit 1 point (essentially a no penalty miss). Being forced to use 10 rnd mags will also make you very proficient with doing reloads, though with Limited you won't have to reload as much since you can use 140mm length mags. Welcome to the addiction

I would recommend shooting limited.

IMO, newbies get all geeked out about when and where to reload when they are in the production division.

I swear you can see the tension in their faces or in their bodyu language..."OH MY GAWD! OH MY GAWD! WHEN DO I RELOAD?! WHEN DO I RELOAD?!"

shooting limited allows you to concentrate more on shooting, acquiring the next target, moving to the next array...rinse...repeat....

also, if you only have...say just 2 or 3 Glock mags, you"ll be golden for limited...whereas with production you might need 4 or 5 just on the belt so you can reload between arrays instead of doing a standing reload in the middle of an array when your 10 round production mag runs dry.

you should be able to get mag extensions for your glock mags pretty easily and cheaply, too, for limited.

If you reload your own ammo and you're willing to order the mag extensions, I'd use the Glock 35 in Limited. Lots of newbies (especially if they're not really accurate) have a hard time hitting small steel while worried about the clock and get frustrated with running out of mags during a stage.

If you don't reload your own ammo, I'd probably buy a bunch of mags and a few mag pouches and shoot the Glock 34 in Production.

Just to correct a possibly slightly misleading statement above, Production does not *require* 10-round magazines, rather, you can only load 10 rounds into a magazine, regardless of whether it holds 10 or 17 rounds.

If you reload your own ammo and you're willing to order the mag extensions, I'd use the Glock 35 in Limited. Lots of newbies (especially if they're not really accurate) have a hard time hitting small steel while worried about the clock and get frustrated with running out of mags during a stage.

If you don't reload your own ammo, I'd probably buy a bunch of mags and a few mag pouches and shoot the Glock 34 in Production.

Just to correct a possibly slightly misleading statement above, Production does not *require* 10-round magazines, rather, you can only load 10 rounds into a magazine, regardless of whether it holds 10 or 17 rounds.

You answered one of my questions. I have three mags for my FNX 9mm and three mags for my G23. How many more mags would be suggested to have?

You answered one of my questions. I have three mags for my FNX 9mm and three mags for my G23. How many more mags would be suggested to have?

You need to have a minimum of four mags, and preferably at least 6 mags, to shoot production.

Also, a compact gun, especially in .40, is not ideal for the sport, although you shouldn't be discouraged from trying.

Popularity seems to vary from club to club. Here, there are more Production shooters than anything else. When I lived in NM, there were more Limited shooters. Because of that, some folks will shoot the most popular division, so they have more competition. It's not as much fun when you show up and only you, or just a couple of people, are shooting a division. R,

You need to have a minimum of four mags, and preferably at least 6 mags, to shoot production.

Also, a compact gun, especially in .40, is not ideal for the sport, although you shouldn't be discouraged from trying.

I figured the compacts aren't the best, but for now two or three more extra mags will be the way to go.

I was leaning towards the FNX 9mm also.

I'd have a minimum of 4 mags (3 on belt, 1 in gun). If I couldn't consistently hit an 8" steel plate at 15-20 yards with one shot, I'd probably want another 1-2 mags either on my belt or in my back pocket. So, I guess 4-6 mags. Fortunately Glock mags are pretty darn cheap!

If you already have a G34 and a G35 then build the G35 for limited and L10 then shoot all three. Production teaches you to aim and to reload, limited allows you to unleash the wagon and go. If your shooting limited and find yourself missing your reloads and shooting mike's and delta's then switch to production, if your shooting production and find yourself dragging your feet switch to limited.

As Bart said look at how many and which shooters are in a division, why shoot a division that has less then 5 shooters in it, and if the highest ranked shooter is a B or a C then its hard to be better then that, if your shooting against the masters and grandmasters its easier to become one.

Try L10, production and limited. Which ever you most enjoy go for it. At least you have a gun selection that allows you to pick between three divisions. My bet is you'll have so much fun you'll be glad your out shooting. I shot my first match with a kimber .38 super with a 10 round mag. I was in open class & I didn't care because there is so much to learn I needed a half dozen match's to determine gun requirements and type of equipment needed. Have fun.

• 2 months later...

alright, here's my take. I have been shooting for years but shot my first uspsa match last Augest. Since then I have been through two limited guns and am getting ready to start a third. My wife has been through two production guns and is considering taking the rig I just bought to try SS and shoot it instead of production. added we have been playing with the idea that she wants a limited gun and I have been thinking about giving open a shot at some point this year. What is the moral of all this you may ask? give it a try with production since you are already set up for it. Ask other people if you can try their rigs as just hopping into a new rig/division can get pricey. I am a big limited fan because they seem to vary from everything from a factory gun with extended mags to race guns costing upward of $6k. the bottom line is if you start with production you can always upgrade the gun through almost any other division from what I have seen by adding magwell, slide lightning, or optics. it's a bit harder to go the other way. just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

i have to agree with shooting Production first and see if you like it. There is lots of competition in production and it is very minimal cost to start shooting so there is no big money vested in your hobby. Once you make sure that USPSA is what you definetly want to do then start building a Limited/L10.

I say dump the tupperware and get a 6 shooter.... (ok, tongue planted firmly in cheek on this one :rolleyes: )..

As everyone else is saying, you are currently set up for production, shoot that for a while and figure out if you want to change to something else.. Everything you learn in Production will have merit when switching to a different division save Revo.. though ammo management is one area that will be similar..

Edited by sargenv