Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to start reloading...... newb

G17fan

I am looking to start reloading my ammo for IPSC shooting. I know there are alot of different types out there. A few questions for a beginner on a budget:

Turret or single stage press....

Lee or RCBS or others....

Looking for the best "kit" to get me started.

Thanks.

Edited by G17fan

I have a Lee Classic turret press kit that I bought from Cabelas ($200.00 ish w/ out dies). I'm very happy with it and feel it's a good value. I load 9mm and 45acp so far and it makes great ammo with the carbide pistol 4 die sets.

I have a Lee Classic turret press kit that I bought from Cabelas ($200.00 ish w/ out dies). I'm very happy with it and feel it's a good value. I load 9mm and 45acp so far and it makes great ammo with the carbide pistol 4 die sets.

Does this kit have everything needed to load minus the dies?

Sorry for the questions, Im just new to this and want to get all the facts before I make a purchase.

Thanks.

Hard to beat a Dillon Square Deal for just a little more money. Progressive press really the way to go for making pistol ammo in moderate quantities.

Absolutely!

Watch the classifieds for a used unit. They can be had quite reasonably.

Does this kit have everything needed to load minus the dies?

Sorry for the questions, Im just new to this and want to get all the facts before I make a purchase.

Thanks.

Correct, it does. All you need to start less dies. Looks back-ordered on Cabelas site mad.gif. Best dollar value out there for a starter.

Here is a link to an excellent how to for reloading newbs. http://blog.sinclairintl.com/category/videos/reloading-videos/

Jim

post-11183-028305500 1295127983_thumb.jp

These are the things I PM'd you about. You could take this stuff, and some components, do a couple hours worth of reading, and start loading some stuff. It's a great hobby that has given me years of pleasure. :cheers:

These are the things I PM'd you about. You could take this stuff, and some components, do a couple hours worth of reading, and start loading some stuff. It's a great hobby that has given me years of pleasure. :cheers:

G17fan

This would work VERY well for a starter (and then some).

Jim

G17fan

This would work VERY well for a starter (and then some).

Jim

Thanks everyone for the help! I love this place!

Kyle O, I sent you a PM.

I was in your shoes and was talked into a Dillon Square Deal for a couple more bucks. Since I only load a couple handgun cartridges and have no desire to reload rifle cartridges, its perfect. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker that I use as for push through dies as well. Drink some Blue Kool-Aid!

Here is the best budget deal I know about.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=190&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

I would rather have the square deal myself but for the money this is the deal.

Nice deal.... Not sure of all the terms listed on the link but how does it seat the primers?

Hard to beat a Dillon Square Deal for just a little more money. Progressive press really the way to go for making pistol ammo in moderate quantities.

Absolutely!

A good example...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121086&pid=1369223&st=0entry1369223

Absolutely!

A good example...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121086&pid=1369223&st=0entry1369223

That was a screaming deal! It is already SPF... One more vote for the SDB. I have the 550 and never looked back. The other presses are ok, but the Dillons are really the way to go if you can swing it, and are willing to wait a little bit for another one to come up. BE sells them in his E-store. He may even have someone that wants to trade up from a SDB. I would send him a note.

WG

After some research I like the Dillion however the price is a tad high for my budget.

I am still trying to learn all the "terms" on the equipmemt so I can better understand. My only hurry now is California law changes regarding ammo and some vendors wont ship ANYTHING ammo related to Ca by the end of this month.

Edited by G17fan