Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the USPSA Season?

GuyC

Hey I am a young shooter who is getting into major matches. I hear people saying it is the end of the seaseon. Could somone please tell me more about the seaseon, as in when does it start, how long is it, and how many matches does it consist of?

Thanks, Guy

I don't believe there is a season per se.

It is mostly weather related.

Clubs don't usually shoot in the winter. You might be lucky enough to live where there isn't really a winter or have an indoor club or you have some really determined shooters who don't care that their snot freezes into their beards and their hands to their pieces.

Major matches are usually scheduled in the warmer months.

I think that is where the impression of a season comes into play.

GuyC - you are a lucky fellow. In Florida the shooting season starts in January & runs through December (that covers the many, many local matches). If you mean the "season" of major matches, it is true that it typically starts with the Florida Open in February, but in Florida it does not stop with the USPSA Nationals. Florida often has Level 2 or higher matches in late October, November or December. For example, in recent years, the Central Florida Section Factory Gun Classic (December 2010), the North American Nok Down Steel Championship (December 2010), and the South Florida Section Match (November 2009) were all held quite a bit after the USPSA Nationals.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

USPSA Area 6 Director

very weather related. My last match was back on October I believe and first one of this year ( albeit a small indoor match) is later this month. as posted above, its March-Nov up here in Indiana. Down in florida you, should be able to shoot about whenever you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Most clubs in Western Pennsylvania run matches from March through October, and get in 8 matches [uSPSA suggested minimum]. And at least 3 matches at each club must include a Classifier stage, although usually every match has a classifier.

Last year our club in Clairton PA ran April through November because there was still 3 feet of snow on the range during March. Yeah, we're wimps and didn't choose to chop ice and snow off the ranges to hold a March match. [see Front Sight for winter shooting with lots of snow and ice. It was essentially a 'lost brass' match... at least until the snow melts.

USPSA Headquarters considers all matches shot within the calendar year to be part of that year's season. Clubs then have until Jan 31 of the following year to get the results submitted.

I got sentenced to Minneapolis in Oct of 2008 and asked about matches--I was told they shut down for the winter. I think Spring starts around June up there. I froze my a@&s off. Coldest 2.5 months of my life. I am wearing a down coat and people are walking around in sweatshirts and shorts.

Luckily, I was paroled and back in the Southwest by the middle of December 2008 able to make Steve Horsman's Western States Single Stack Championship, which to me is the start of the major matches. Addtionally, A2 Desert Classic is usually the second week in November which is the end of the major matches.

If you are new to USPSA check in with Manny Bragg at Manny USA. He just moved down to FL. He is an awesome instructor.