Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20" cylinder bore doable?

DarthMuffin

I normally shoot my SLP MK2 with a LM choke in multigun, and I love it. I'm signing up for a match that uses time plus scoring which doesn't reward major PF (which seems to be against the DVC motto, but that's another topic). Since my rifle is an AR10 I was considering shooting heavy metal tactical division, but the only shotgun I have to use is my 20" Mossberg 500 with a cylinder bore.

Do you think it'll work well enough to limp me through the match? Do you think I'll be causing myself more frustration than it's worth and I should just shoot my major PF rifle in Tactical and have fun?

I normally shoot my SLP MK2 with a LM choke in multigun, and I love it. I'm signing up for a match that uses time plus scoring which doesn't reward major PF (which seems to be against the DVC motto, but that's another topic). Since my rifle is an AR10 I was considering shooting heavy metal tactical division, but the only shotgun I have to use is my 20" Mossberg 500 with a cylinder bore.

Do you think it'll work well enough to limp me through the match? Do you think I'll be causing myself more frustration than it's worth and I should just shoot my major PF rifle in Tactical and have fun?

I saw a lot of frustrated shooters last summer trying to knock plates from a texas star with stock 18 inch cylinder bore 870's and mossbergs at 20 yards. So I would say no get a choke. Some of those guys were even using heavy pheasant loads. The Benelli I was using at the time had no problem with 3 dram 1 ounce shot using a full choke. (over kill but I saw those poor guys not making the steel go down I decided to choke up).

Pat

There are plenty of folks using cylinder bore shotguns that do just fine. Of course it depends on the match and what the target presentations are. I'd use your "mossy shotty" and have fun.

Edited to change "Mossberg" to the correct spelling of "mossy shotty".

Edited by MarkCO

Well the center of the pattern is going to have shot in it. And a good shooter can break 45+ yard trap shots with a cylinder bore.

I wouldn't do it , but it can be doable.

The Good-guys that host the High Plains event -Proof- each stage with cylinder bore

I If the only way I could play was with a 20" cylinder = I would buy some #6 shot and #4 for the longer shots

besides what is the cylinder Bore on a Mossy? on a Browning it is .740" a Remy used to be and average of .720-.725 Most Berretas were .730

Each manufacturer will make the cylinder a bit different is size.

besides what is the cylinder Bore on a Mossy? on a Browning it is .740" a Remy used to be and average of .720-.725 Most Berretas were .730

Each manufacturer will make the cylinder a bit different is size.

Actually this is important, and alot of people don't realize that the bore diameter is different on each shotgun.

Not only is the bore often different, but the choke size also. This is why it is so important to pattern and/or shoot your shotgun alot.

My old remington cylynder bore bbl with out removable chokes and my mossy 500 with cylynder bore non removable chokes patterned very much the same yet had different measurements at the muzzle. My M2 has a. 738 bore size with a cylynder bore choke measuring. 726 and shoots a tighter patterns than the rem or missy did.

A wad cup I measured was .715 so I would assume a true cylynder bore (no constriction) could actualy be made in a fairly broad range of sizes and pattern similarly.

Not only is the bore often different, but the choke size also. This is why it is so important to pattern and/or shoot your shotgun alot.

My old remington cylynder bore bbl with out removable chokes and my mossy 500 with cylynder bore non removable chokes patterned very much the same yet had different measurements at the muzzle. My M2 has a. 738 bore size with a cylynder bore choke measuring. 726 and shoots a tighter patterns than the rem or missy did.

A wad cup I measured was .715 so I would assume a true cylynder bore (no constriction) could actualy be made in a fairly broad range of sizes and pattern similarly.

Factory choke tube? Regardless of what that tube is marked (Cylinder Bore) your tube is adding .012" of constriction and is going to shoot tighter patterns than a true Cylinder Bore (no choke constriction), more like Improved Cylinder choke in your specific case.

Factory choke tube? Regardless of what that tube is marked (Cylinder Bore) your tube is adding .012" of constriction and is going to shoot tighter patterns than a true Cylinder Bore (no choke constriction), more like Improved Cylinder choke in your specific case.

Absolutely right. Thats what I was aluding to. And yes its a factory choke. All the chokes in the five choke set that came with the gun are subsequntly tighter by similar increments. Interestingly a couple of Carlson chokes fall reasonably well within the size they should, as marked, compard to the factory chokes. I have heard that some chokes can be quite a bit off in their constriction.

Darth,

I ran a Mossy 590A-1 20" Cyl Bore with ghost ring sights at 2010 FB3G. I was able to clean stage 8 except the moving slug target at 50 yds. I hit all the flying clays, even on stage 1. I used Win Universal #7.5 on light stuff and Fiochi high brass #6 on 4 of the poppers on stage 8. Fiochi Low Recoil 7/8 ounce slugs shot very well too.

Hope this helps. Now go have some fun.

• 4 years later...

I realize this is an old thread. How did the match go?

I usually would use my Mossberg 930 JM, but I am competing at the Blue Ridge Mt 3-gun match in Heavy Metal, to be able to do it with a friend in that division. My only suitable pump shotgun is an older Mossberg 590 with a fixed cylinder bore choke.

I've agonized over whether this will decimate me or not. I've patterned various loads and tried them against steel plates I have & a popper too. At 30 yards, no birdshot I have could drop my popper, including some HV #4 pheasant loads. Some Federal #4 2 3/4" turkey loads did drop it easily. So I could pay a fortune & run turkey loads - if my shoulder could withstand it.

So I've been reading a lot about using CB for 3-gun.

Nearest gun smith that can that I'm aware of is about 2 hours away. And I have a race gun I would normally use; don't want to spend much modifying this one just to be able to compete with my friend in HM.

There are dozens of gunsmiths that can install choke tubes in your barrel, and none of them are farther away than your post office.