Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12 gauge red dot sight mount question

Alaskapopo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph has also manufactured the Saiga Magazine Coupler. This is an excellent unit and highly recommended. We were using crude couplers and kydex shell retainers, but this is the cats ass!! (whatever that is)

Super fast mag changes. The shell retainer for the left side coupled mag is the piece attached to the mag well, to retain the shell in the magazine during recoil/inertia.

Jack

I was trying to figure out what the thing was on the magwell till I realized that I think its to keep a shell from walking out when using a cinch mag setup??

I got the mount and am still deciding what to do for an optic. Trijicon just released the new RMR with a 12.9 MOA triangle and I think that would be perfect but it will required drilling and tapping the mount. Plus the sight is so new its only on Trijcon's web store right now for 625. I am hoping Brownells will get it soon so I can use my LEO discount there.

Pat

Ralph has also manufactured the Saiga Magazine Coupler. This is an excellent unit and highly recommended. We were using crude couplers and kydex shell retainers, but this is the cats ass!! (whatever that is)

Super fast mag changes. The shell retainer for the left side coupled mag is the piece attached to the mag well, to retain the shell in the magazine during recoil/inertia.

Jack

OK,, where do I find the coupler and retainer for sale?????? CSS??

12.9 MOA seems massive to me. I like them smaller (that's not what she said)

The 7 MOA would be my choice, but that is the beauty of options... everybody can choose what they want.

I understand. My reasoning for wanting the Trijicon is durability for one. I already killed one Burris fast fire 2 on this gun. Second my gun shoots higher by 6 inches at 50 yards with the slugs I like if I have the shot pattern centered where it needs to be at 15 yards. The 12 moa triangle would allow me to use the tip of the traingle for slugs and just cover the target with the traingle for shot targets. That is my theory anyway.

Pat

Shot my home made one in a match today. Really was nice (Tyler Payne and Daniel Horner thought it was cool). Held solid, though I have not lock tighted (?) it. Going to make some lightening cuts on it sometime. I was worried about eye relief, but it was fine, and I do not run the stock all the way out.

Mark K.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am using a Russian mag well and found the clearance of the charge handle to be a issue with the Aerredondo S12 mag coupler. If I do not shoot one mag dry then the carrier handle is close enough to contact a remaining shell. Did you guys change the handle angle for clearance? I am using a stock carrier (right side) with a Tromix

bolt on charger extention.

I am using a Russian mag well and found the clearance of the charge handle to be a issue with the Aerredondo S12 mag coupler. If I do not shoot one mag dry then the carrier handle is close enough to contact a remaining shell. Did you guys change the handle angle for clearance? I am using a stock carrier (right side) with a Tromix

bolt on charger extention.

I had an issue with mine and the mags. I bought 2 more new Surefire 12 rounders already moded for magwell and have issues. I also experianced the same thing and have a hunk of meat missing on my RH finger from trying to clear a ftf in a match. Planning on putting 2 of my never miss a beat mags in the cinch and try again. Im also going to put a leftside charging handle on. Nothing fancy just a shoulder bolt threaded in and the dust cover relived. I like the mag cinch but as with many things Saiga it needs to be tested and maybe tweaked. I suspect it was the mags not the cinch.

Edited by tnek

I noticed when I tightened up the cinch a little too much I had issues with the last round in each mag not feeding...the rest feed fine (could not totally understand that). Loosened it and that problem went away. I am not sure the extra second it will take to reload from the belt is worth risking a otherwise very reliable Saiga. However the Firebird Saiga ran well with the coupler and do to the charger location did not pose any interference problem with the magazines (with some ammo still in them). Guess it just depends how involved I want to get with it. THX's for the input.

post-27223-087543600 1300640656_thumb.jppost-27223-039368600 1300640670_thumb.jppost-27223-043003700 1300640691_thumb.jp

Ralph Arrondondo's mount is a great product, but I found the eye relief to be too close for my preference. I used an adjustable AK mount which also doubles as a way to attach the top shell retainer for coupled mags. This way I didn't have to drill and tap my receiver. I offset the mags to solve the charging handle clearance problem.

post-27223-087543600 1300640656_thumb.jppost-27223-039368600 1300640670_thumb.jppost-27223-043003700 1300640691_thumb.jp

Ralph Arrondondo's mount is a great product, but I found the eye relief to be too close for my preference. I used an adjustable AK mount which also doubles as a way to attach the top shell retainer for coupled mags. This way I didn't have to drill and tap my receiver. I offset the mags to solve the charging handle clearance problem.

Nice side mount! Can you say where you got it or a brand name?

thanks,

Ron S.

Nice side mount! Can you say where you got it or a brand name?

thanks,

Ron S.

The mount is:

TufForce Adjustable AK Side Mount MT-2K15 Sold by: The Global Sportsman -- I think about only $38 or so.

The height is adjustable so you can get the correct height for your optic. I set the height just enough so I can still use the stock sights in the event of an optic failure, yet still use the red dot comfortably. The center line of the top rail is adjustable though I had to mill the slots a bit longer to get the correct center line on my gun. There is a hollow area under the side rail and this was used to attach the top round retainer for the coupled mags.

• 8 months later...

Jack of JT Engineering has a nifty sight mount that goes on the left/rear of the receiver. Highly recommended :)

Alex

Don't suppose you know where I can see a picture of the JT Engineering mount? I already have a upgraded receiver block and would rather not change it out to the Arredondo...

I don't have a pic handy but think open pistol and you got it. The only negative is the sight has to come off the take the gun apart unless you have a machinist friend build a spacer or new top plate (I am going with new top plate).

I don't have a pic handy but think open pistol and you got it. The only negative is the sight has to come off the take the gun apart unless you have a machinist friend build a spacer or new top plate (I am going with new top plate).

I have not had to take the sight off to take the gun apart. This sight mount with a Delta point and the coupler have made my Saiga almost unstoppable at local matches. I love Arredondo stuff.

Pat

Hmmm... I think there's confusion here (or I'm just confused). :blink: I believe the mount by Jt Engineering and Arredondo are NOT one and the same - two different mounts. Does the Travers need to be removed to get the dust cover off?