Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12 gauge red dot sight mount question

Alaskapopo

Mark a shooter here was telling me about a red dot sight mount that just came out for the Saiga that mounts the red dot towards the rear of the reciever possible on the stock. Anyone know what he is talking about. I would love to move my red dot closer to my eye.

Pat

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harbor Freight Tap and Die set ....it is your friend.

The two options listed, the JT or the Arredondo are the best options right now. You will just have to drill and tap for the Aimpoint......

To be honest though the aimpoint dot is too small at 4moa. I much prefer a bigger dot in the 7-9 range. Cmore STS, Trijicon RMR dual Ill., JPoint etc.

The two options listed, the JT or the Arredondo are the best options right now. You will just have to drill and tap for the Aimpoint......

To be honest though the aimpoint dot is too small at 4moa. I much prefer a bigger dot in the 7-9 range. Cmore STS, Trijicon RMR dual Ill., JPoint etc.

I don't have the tools to do that. (drill and tap)I agree a bigger dot would be nice but I like the Aimpoints durability and battery life. I killed a Fast Fire II that was on this gun before in just one summer.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I used a ultimak rail on mine

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-MANUFACTURERS-cln-ULTIMAK/Categories

I had to cut off the rear sight, file down the front sight, attached the rail using the included rear dovetail mount to center up the where to drill the front mounting hole.

drilled and tapped the front hole, filed down the screw to fit.

also if you go this way, don't bother trying to find a metric tap, I went to my local Ace hardware and bought the largest button head screw that fit the mount and the tap to go with it.

I used a ultimak rail on mine

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-MANUFACTURERS-cln-ULTIMAK/Categories

I had to cut off the rear sight, file down the front sight, attached the rail using the included rear dovetail mount to center up the where to drill the front mounting hole.

drilled and tapped the front hole, filed down the screw to fit.

also if you go this way, don't bother trying to find a metric tap, I went to my local Ace hardware and bought the largest button head screw that fit the mount and the tap to go with it.

I have a good forward mount now made by R&R targets that came with the gun. What I want is the red dot closer to my eye for a larger field of view in the optic. I shoot two eyes open but I think I would still do better with the optic mounted further back.

Saiga.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Pat

You got me thinking about a Delta point 7.5 moa triangle or possibly a RMR with a 13 moa dot. What sight do you use on your shotgun?

I ran a Burris last year and it was fine but the dot was too small for me (4moa) I found that I like the bigger dot for going fast on static clays and steel and a dot in the 7-9 range is just right. 13 may be a little on the big side. For instance 50 yd larue targets would be completely obscured.

I have a Cmore STS on the JT mount right now and am very happy with it. I chose it primarily because I wouldn't have to drill and tap the mount for a trijicon plus I had a certificate for a free STS laying in the drawer.

I haven't done anything more than look at the leupy and it seems like it would work well and may even mount right up to the JT or Arredondo mounts.

I do have two of the Trijicon RMR dual Illumination sights (both 7moa) on my rifles and love them. If the C more proves to not be my preference it will get an RMR.

Also to throw it out there, I am using a JT mount because Jims stock extension gives me a flatter/higher stock mount than the R&R. But for design purposes and ease of maintenance I think the Arredondo mount is a better product.

Edited by smokshwn

OH....Arredondo's mag coupler is the heat...buy two

Thanks I owe you. One thing I am confused on you said that at 50 yards 13 moa would cover the target. But in theory 13 moa should only cover 7.5 inches at 50 yards. Is the blooming that bad on the RMR. The reason I wanted the 13 moa is I have an issue with the slugs I want to use. Breneke reduced recoil slugs are the most accurate I have found in my Saiga but they shoot 6 inches high at 50 yards if I sight in for the shot pattern at 15 yards. If I sight in for the slugs my shot pattern hits way low. I shot a match like that and did ok but it slowed me down on the slugs when they had hostage targets. I had a metal block about holding on white paper. My theory was to run a 13 moa dot and use the top edge of the dot for aiming with slugs and use the whole dot at close range with the shot. I really wanted a 12 moa triangle but I don't see any out there. If I am missing something let me know.

I did buy a coupler I did not get 2 because I am about maxed on my credit card again until next paycheck. I bought the mount, a coupler and a thrumb rest for my open pistol.

Thanks in advance for the help. I may sell my R1 Aimpoint and get a RMR or a Delta point.

Pat

Tom at AMS Machine makes a very Dr/Jpoint type mount that fits the rear sight dovetail. Email him and ask...they are not on the website: http://amsmachine.net/

Been running one of those with a Insight RDS lately. Works great, and has a brighter dot than the Pride/Fowler I was running before.

Alex

Tom at AMS Machine makes a very Dr/Jpoint type mount that fits the rear sight dovetail. Email him and ask...they are not on the website: http://amsmachine.net/

Been running one of those with a Insight RDS lately. Works great, and has a brighter dot than the Pride/Fowler I was running before.

Alex

No thanks I am running a dove tail mount now with the Aimpoint. Before that I had a FastFire II. I killed the fast Fire and the Aimpoint is ok but I want the scope closer to my eyes.

pat

Pat

I should have been a little more clear with the 13moa description. I doesn't cover the whole target but a significant enough portion that I didn't feel like I could call my shot on smaller slug targets or any partial papers or no shoot targets. Also on any distant (15-25) yard clays the would be completely obscured by the dot. I could probably make the hit but i am sure my mind would slow down because of the sight picture.

From your description of your loads and zeros the 13moa may work for you. My gut tells me the 7-9 would be a better solution, although it may just be personal preference.

Keep us posted, as I'm interested in how it works for you.

Pat

I should have been a little more clear with the 13moa description. I doesn't cover the whole target but a significant enough portion that I didn't feel like I could call my shot on smaller slug targets or any partial papers or no shoot targets. Also on any distant (15-25) yard clays the would be completely obscured by the dot. I could probably make the hit but i am sure my mind would slow down because of the sight picture.

From your description of your loads and zeros the 13moa may work for you. My gut tells me the 7-9 would be a better solution, although it may just be personal preference.

Keep us posted, as I'm interested in how it works for you.

I am leaning towards the Delta point right now because I won't have to modify the mount. The RMR is wider and I am not sure if it would fit even if I drilled and tapped it. I like the 7.5 moa triangle too. Thanks for your help. I had not thought about how big the reticle would be on a smaller slug target.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I love the idea of Arrendondo mount, back close to my eye. HOWEVER, I already have 1) an R and R stock adapter, and 2) an R and R Red Dot mount with an STS mounted. They work, but I really want to move the Dot back. If I bought the Arrendondo mount, I then have to try and get some $$ out of the stuff I already have. SO, I have been looking at an alternative and have been looking at taking something like this, and instead of using on a 30mm scope, as it was designed, using it on my 30mm stock tube. Any thoughts?

STS Mount

Mark

Edited by Mark K

I love the idea of Arrendondo mount, back close to my eye. HOWEVER, I already have 1) an R and R stock adapter, and 2) an R and R Red Dot mount with an STS mounted. They work, but I really want to move the Dot back. If I bought the Arrendondo mount, I then have to try and get some $$ out of the stuff I already have. SO, I have been looking at an alternative and have been looking at taking something like this, and instead of using on a 30mm scope, as it was designed, using it on my 30mm stock tube. Any thoughts?

STS Mount

Mark

Here is my protype in wood.

Saiga

Edited by Mark K

• 2 weeks later...