Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to shoot like you dont care.

chefcs5

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say I shot like I didn't care, because I did care. I just cared a different and, in retrospect, more productive way.

Now that makes sense. We just need to tap into that mindset all the time!

It is nice picking up brass with the moon clips... so easy. rolleyes.gif

• 4 months later...

If you consider the 2 main definitions of "care" one means to "have an interest in", the other means " to burden or worry." Its OK to care. If we didn't have an interest in competing, then why are we shooting? Shooters that try to shoot like they don't care have a high chance of becoming truly careless with their shooting. Replace CARE with worry, then you're on to something.....Shoot free without worry of outcome. Have confidence in yourself and your abilities. How well or how poorly you do that one day doesn't have any impact on who you are.

If you consider the 2 main definitions of "care" one means to "have an interest in", the other means " to burden or worry." Its OK to care. If we didn't have an interest in competing, then why are we shooting? Shooters that try to shoot like they don't care have a high chance of becoming truly careless with their shooting. Replace CARE with worry, then you're on to something.....Shoot free without worry of outcome. Have confidence in yourself and your abilities. How well or how poorly you do that one day doesn't have any impact on who you are.

Nice. :cheers:

I like the movie The Legend of Bagger Vance because for me it really breaks down some of the mental game.

When Junuh is making his comeback, the voiceover says "he learned how to stop thinking without falling asleep".

It is a process to get there and lot's of other great stuff is there in the movie. Practice, fundamentals, running Etc..... All of that is important but getting to "see the field" is a key to performing well.

• 1 month later...

I shot to have fun.This is not a job, if you are out there just to enjoy your self and are relaxed your shooting will improve to your natural abbilty.

My advice is to my friends is to relax and have fun not worry about the results.He shoot better than before.

This is a game enjoy it.Just relax.Think of a Happy place.LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not an accomplished shooter yet, as many of you are. However in the two realms where I'm considered "good", I know I'm at my best when I neither care nor try try to not-care, I just do. My whole existence during my moments of doing the things is only for those things. In common language, it's "focus" or "concentration" but I'm un-self-conscious and not even thinking of ideas like "focusing" or "trying" or "caring".

I hope to transfer this state of mind to shooting, but I have fundamentals to build first.

I'm not an accomplished shooter yet, as many of you are. However in the two realms where I'm considered "good", I know I'm at my best when I neither care nor try try to not-care, I just do. My whole existence during my moments of doing the things is only for those things. In common language, it's "focus" or "concentration" but I'm un-self-conscious and not even thinking of ideas like "focusing" or "trying" or "caring".

I hope to transfer this state of mind to shooting, but I have fundamentals to build first.

It sounds like you have the attitude to be all over it.

Sailors have a saying, "Motorboats are for those in a hurry to get there. Sailboats are for those that are allready there."

When I shoot, I REALLY don't care. I go to matches to enjoy the awesome stages and see myself progress in accuracy, technique, and speed. My buddy who got me into the sport told me not to worry about coming in dead last, "there will always be an old lady or a young kid that will do worse than you.". And to date, he has been dead on.

I find it amusing how some of the guys I shoot with get upset, pissed and even change their division because they performed badly or got beat by some one else in the same division.

After a dismal stage I joke that USPSA will be calling me soon offering to reimburse me the membership fees I paid if I return my USPSA card.

For me, it is a game, a pastime, and a hobby. I am competitive, just not in my pastime; it is after all a "pass-time", why would you want to treat it as a job or be in a position to be frustrated over it.

I'm a D shooter and I know I will, at some point, make it to at least a B shooter. The sport has gotten me to a scary level of accuracy; it's the speed I lack. I know that with time and practise the speed will come.

I'm not in a hurry to get to B. Like the sailor enjoying the sensation of wind through the rigging and the hull slipping through the water, for me, getting there is the most memorable part of the experience.

If you never give up you will ultimately succeed, as such, if the outcome is a foregone conclusion, you might as well enjoy the ride!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have much to add, but that's not going to stop me from trying.

The best matches I have ever shot were the ones where my ONLY goal was to call every shot.

You see, that goal become my only responsibility. (in between stages, I can think about anything or nothing)

And what's cool is that there's nothing any other shooter can do to affect that goal.

I know going in that my place in the scores will be determined by my preparation.

It's very relaxing and calming.

It also helps to avoid hearing other shooters' times.

It's not easy to spend the whole day in that mind set, but it will reveal how good you really are.

I don't have much to add, but that's not going to stop me from trying.

The best matches I have ever shot were the ones where my ONLY goal was to call every shot.

You see, that goal become my only responsibility. (in between stages, I can think about anything or nothing)

And what's cool is that there's nothing any other shooter can do to affect that goal.

I know going in that my place in the scores will be determined by my preparation.

It's very relaxing and calming.

It also helps to avoid hearing other shooters' times.

It's not easy to spend the whole day in that mind set, but it will reveal how good you really are.

I just shot our regional champs, this year being the first year that I have properly prepared, with decent practises beforehand.

Having recently read your (Steve's) book, I tried to shoot the match with a focus of "Shoot A's" as I started every stage.

I knew that because I had prepared well I didn't have to "try" on every stage - instead I knew that my scores and times would be represented by my level of practise.

Ended up shooting the match clean (didn't have to rush when close to no-shoots etc.) and came third overall.

Thanks again Steve!

It sounds like you have the attitude to be all over it.

Brian, when you talk about shooting in your book Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals, it often sounds like you're describing my state of mind when I play improvised jazz solos. You talk about seeing; in music of course it's hearing. I always want to be able to hear more. The more I can hear, the better I can do.

• 1 year later...

I take up the attitude that if I mess up it is because I failed to practice sufficiently. As hard as it is it kind of allows me to release myself of accountability over my performance during the match. If or when I fail I blame my former self for not practicing enough and that also motivates me not not drag myself down While practicing for future matches.

I went into SMM3G with a well crafted book of excuses, and did not even use many of them. :) I am still thinking about it, but I went to the match with these four factors:

1. I knew I would not win

2. I have not practiced nor shot a 3Gun match in 6 months

3. I knew I would get to see friends I have not seen in 6 months

4. I had spent several months on pistol in 2013

While I fully expected to perform worse than in 2013 at the match, I actually did better. My weakest gun, pistol, did not scare me and I shot it well. The help I got from Manny Bragg and CHA-LEE in 2013, plus my 10 or so live fire practice sessions and a dry fire session for about 15 minutes a week over the winter is really what took out the fear (as opposed to caring) in the pistol work and boosted my overall performance. I was rusty on shotgun and rifle after 6 months off, but it was not a big deal. I think that "trying" not to care in order to "boost" performance will never do me any good if I have not put in some work to get the confidence. I can say I cared a bit less than before about the actual scoresheet, but it was the pistol practice in 2013 that let me replace some "care" with confidence.

Find that as soon as I have some success (get a win/place etc) then I start to shoot like crap through expectations, and its only after I've bombed out a few more times that I cease to care and start to shoot better again.

Which leads to a win/place...etc etc etc so the cycle continues :roflol: