Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 36 KABOOOOOOOM!

Mat Price

Had a fella kaboom a glock today at my indoor range.

now beware of weak case webs and glock 21/36 models

this one went KABOOM today

glock36kaboomcase.jpg

case web failure

glock did pretty well

glock36kaboom.jpg

only blew out the mag and killed the floor plate then killed the mag release.

The only case head seperation that I have had is a 40 in a Para LDA. Case head went down through the loaded mag and blew out the tab on the bottom. Good thing I was wearing glasses as I received a reverse racoon. This was the only 40 that I have ever fired. The cases were range pickup. I bought my buddy 1k Starline cases for Xmas that year.

Atleast he only suffered a small cut.

Sorry this was absolutely a reload and most likely had a cracked or weakened case web. It has nothing to do with the gun being a glock... it just happened to be in a glock when it boom... however I will say that glocks do tend have less case web support in that model... the 36 it seems. there is no real way to tell what the tru story is other. I could have been weak case + some set back + slightly out of battery firing + less case support.. I dont think ti was a double... that would have been more damage I would think...

I am not bashing glocks at all they are what I shoot EXCLUSIVELY... I shoot a limited 24 and production 34... I am a glock guy.

I have shot a bunch of used/weak brass,out of a G-21. This has not happened. I suspect a bullet set back, wayyyy back.

I have 36 and shoot mostly +P i agree totally with your theory. Actually the 36 faired pretty good. But the most imporant thing is the shooter was not hurt badly.

I am still leaning more toward a cracked case. just because how it blew out on side... ALTHOUGH there was some melting of the case which in its self isnt proof postive but is a telling clue of a double ... I just think there would have been more damage to the gun with a full double. I dont think it was set back this guy is not new to relaods by any means upwards of 100K rounds... and loaded on a dillon 1050

I have shot a bunch of used/weak brass,out of a G-21. This has not happened. I suspect a bullet set back, wayyyy back.

I have 36 and shoot mostly +P i agree totally with your theory. Actually the 36 faired pretty good. But the most imporant thing is the shooter was not hurt badly.

I am still leaning more toward a cracked case. just because how it blew out on side... ALTHOUGH there was some melting of the case which in its self isnt proof postive but is a telling clue of a double ... I just think there would have been more damage to the gun with a full double. I dont think it was set back this guy is not new to relaods by any means upwards of 100K rounds... and loaded on a dillon 1050

My post earlier was not directed at you it was another on this thread. I have seen some double charge .40 glocks look very similar to this. But really i don't think it will ever be known for sure just glad no one was hurt no matter the cause. I have G32 i carry alot and i think it has more support than any of my glocks. The reason i think is the .357sig is 5,000psi more than the .40 but thats just my .02. The glock .40's chamber support has increased a good bit over the years. I'll post a link on GT for you if you would like that. Is he sending his 36 to glock for once over? Not a bad idea to.

People are going to cringe when they read what I'm about to type. I have shot cracked brass in 45 Glocks. In 45 acp; you are operating at low pressures. The case in the photo was not cracked. It was either a bullet set back, or an overcharge(not a double). If it was a double charge I agree with the other poster, more damage would have occurred.

People are going to cringe when they read what I'm about to type. I have shot cracked brass in 45 Glocks. In 45 acp; you are operating at low pressures. The case in the photo was not cracked. It was either a bullet set back, or an overcharge(not a double). If it was a double charge I agree with the other poster, more damage would have occurred.

After i thought more i think possibly a combination of both as you guys state. Plus factory reloads i've seen more than ever recently "over charged" if not double. The only good thing the gun was replaced by the ammo manufacture and mainly no serious injury's. One was a G20 my friend had some factory reloads that were over charged. His glock was replaced and his hand swelled up badly but with a 10mm he's lucky to have his hand and finger's intact.

Alot of .45GAP reloader's like reloading the GAP round since it's about impossible to over charge a GAP. Me i have my glocks invested in 9mm to 10mm and no GAP's. Itsa great idea and concept since you can have compact sized .45. my hands are large so i don't need to go that route. The SC Highway Patrol use th Glock Gap not sure the model maybe a 38.

We had another fellow Squib an S&w 500 last week. He was double plugged ( muffs and plugs) and didn't hear the primer pop. I lucky caught him before he droped the next one down the tube. THAT would have been wicked bad... I kept the slug I removed from the barrel which was about 2 inches down a 6 inch pipe. It was a JHP and a bear to get out with a squib rod and dead blow.

I have not " knock on wood" had the pleasure yet... Hope I never do!

The Glock did NOT Kaboom, the case ruptured. A KB includes a ruptured chamber.

Also, the brass did not melt, it stretched and smeared.

Glad everyone is okay.

Exactly.

This is a "regular" occurance in .40 S&W reloads. Glocks are far more forgiving with these failiures compaired to their all steel counterparts.

Look at each piece of brass CLOSE before you reload it.

Edited by Jman

Reloads??? It must have been a one hell of a reload as .45 ACP rds are low presure rounds. I beleive that the shooter was also glad it was in a Glock and not another brand of handgun.

The Glock did NOT Kaboom, the case ruptured. A KB includes a ruptured chamber.

Also, the brass did not melt, it stretched and smeared.

Glad everyone is okay.

Exactly.

This is a "regular" occurance in .40 S&W reloads. Glocks are far more forgiving with these failiures compaired to their all steel counterparts.

Look at each piece of brass CLOSE before you reload it.

Just what do you consider a "regular" occurence? And how is a Glock more forgiving? With a fully supported chamber, the blowout would be more contained in the chamber (if it blew out at all). A case head separation, I can see. But a blowout? I've got 3 40's I load for, and after 20,000+ rounds, no blowouts (knock on wood!). The only time I can see a 40 rupturing like that in a fully supported chamber is a case of firing out of battery (which Glocks can do, but most steel frame guns cannot). My .02 and only my opinion.

Just what do you consider a "regular" occurence? And how is a Glock more forgiving? With a fully supported chamber, the blowout would be more contained in the chamber (if it blew out at all).

Not sure what Jman measn by regular. It is not "rare" though. I see a few a year shooting matches. The "more forgiving" has to do with the polymer stretching to releive pressure before failing. The plastic deformation takes up a lot of energy and spreads it out over a longer period of time. The polymer mag release also yeilds more easily than steel giving a larger openig to reduce the pressure. Unless you are shooting one of the very rare ones, there are no fully supported chambers in auto-pistols. The small crescent at the 6 o'clock position on Glocks, if the brass has been worked numerous times, can let the case blow out. But there is an inverse relationship here. If you have a more supported chamber and a case does rupture, the rupture will be smaller increasing the concentration of energy, which is not a good thing.

By "regular" I simply mean an occurrence far more common in .40 S&W than any caliber. Suppose this is mainly due to it's popularity in our community. A case separation in a OEM Glock chamber directs the force straight down the mag well. My first hand experience confirms this and that it stings like a b!tc#!! Replaced the slide stop and finished the match. Personally have witnessed two case head separations in a Springer SS and a 2011. Both parties were transported to area emergency rooms for several stitches.

Anecdotal? Unlikely. Our treasured favorite gun at fault here? Who cares what gun. The obvious issue here is s#itty ammo due to the break down of fundamental hand loading techniques. Inspect your brass.

Happy New Year everyone!

cheers.gif

Jim

what brand brass? AMERC have blown on the FIRST firing..

something caused a pressure spike. be it overcharging, bullet setback or some big chunks of corn cob media left in the case...or suppose the fella was loading 185 JHPs and a 230 FMJ got into the bullet feeder....any combo could cause this.

Lead bullets? Jacketed bullets? Plated?

not enough information is given to make an accurate assessment.

and to be fair to glock, people were blowing up 45 autos long before glock ever came into the picture.

Harmon