Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sharing Video Blunders

Skroggster

I believe this will be a comical, and yet educational thread if others are not to embarassed or egotistical to show their Blunders. We all make mistakes.

2010 being my rookie year in USPSA Pistol only after coming out of the Army I had my fair share of mistakes. One thing I have learned is (Proper Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.)

# 6 or 7? Your finger appeared to be on the trigger while you were trying to clear the failure to feed.

I hear that all the time. My finger is always forward of the trigger guard. The RO's I shoot with can see that better live. But thanks for being aware and attentive to safety!

Watch everything from :12-:15 in this video. I thought my magazine wasn't seated; it was. I hesitated rather than getting to the window and tearing up that steel!

I still won this stage that day, though, by going shot for shot on the steel. I guess sometimes you can shoot slow enough to win, if you don't miss. :roflol:

Watch everything from :12-:15 in this video. I thought my magazine wasn't seated; it was. I hesitated rather than getting to the window and tearing up that steel!

I still won this stage that day, though, by going shot for shot on the steel. I guess sometimes you can shoot slow enough to win, if you don't miss. :roflol:

I agree you can still go slow and win. Granted, I am still learning as I am a new shooter to USPSA Pistol only discipline. Thanks to Ron & Mary Ann Cooper for the introduction to the sport and Aaron (Coach) Bright and ACT for competition 101. Which I see you know Target Sports! :D

I ran a class with Coach and shot it in 21.84 with 2 Mikes. Aaron convinced me NOT to worry about my time and focus on hits. I ran the stage again. (Comp 101 class) and shot in 18.42 with no mikes. It does pay to slow down.

I blew one stage at a match in Belgium: Fort Lier, trying to shoot faster than my sights allow: leaving one MP in position 1

missing one partial in position 2 and I had to return to position 3 because I left one MP in the back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mod71juPATg

I does pay to slow down!

Regards,

Henny.

I think it is instinctual by human nature in competition. That is part of the learning curve that I am still trying to teach myself. I am not allowing my second shot to come back and find the sight. So most of my shots are Alpha - Charlie or Alpha - Delta.

I'm still a rookie and learn every time I shoot. I shoot with GM Max Bedwell and he instructs me a lot and having video helps too.

I could hear the frustration in your voice when you over transitioned and had to go back. That totally messed your cadence up and most likely interfered with the rest of your mental zen causing further mistakes. :angry2:

This video was not in an actual scoring match, but has the same mistake twice by the same guy. Once a month their is a shooting coach that has an instructional league on competition, target aquisition, snapping the eyes, etc.

It's an opportunity push yourself witout negative scoring reprecussions. ;) We will shoot the stage the first time on own, get critiqued and a chance to shoot it again. It is a prime example that we all make mistakes.

This video is of an A shooter making the same mistake twice. He is a good friend of mine so I compilated this video to poke fun. All the guys in Area 5 get a kick out of it.

I believe this will be a comical, and yet educational thread if others are not to embarassed or egotistical to show their Blunders. We all make mistakes.

2010 being my rookie year in USPSA Pistol only after coming out of the Army I had my fair share of mistakes. One thing I have learned is (Proper Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.)

You need to get your finger along side the frame of your gun so a RO can tell from any position if your finger is on the trigger or not.

RO,s cannot always be in the right place to see if your finger is actually on the trigger.

I would have stopped you and DQed you for sure!

You need to get your finger along side the frame of your gun so a RO can tell from any position if your finger is on the trigger or not.

RO,s cannot always be in the right place to see if your finger is actually on the trigger.

dmshozer1, (you will have to view photos at photbucke as i states I've added too ,an

I can fully respect your opinion and decision in the above stated comment that all RO's cannot be in the right place, therefore becomes a judgment call. I too am a Certified Military RO.

However, I do communicate with the stage RO of my grip due to the fact that I lost my strong hand ring finger this summer amd meed ,u trigger finger for the exta grip on the firearm.

IMG_1164.jpg[/img]

It is hard to tell, but from second :28 to :36 is the timeline in question.

In the following Picture (ACC 01) I have my trigger finger wrapped around the front of the trigger guard.

I can see your concern in the below picture as it does to appear that my finger is in the trigger yet again forwardof the trigger again.

ACC02.jpg

This image will clearly show that my trigger finger is on the frame during reload.

ACC03.jpg

Picture 4 as well shows trigger finger is clearly on the frame prior to re-engagement.

ACC04.jpg

Picture 5,

During re-engaging the targes my trigger finger is clearly inserted onto the trigger.

ACC05.jpg

This photo I will side with you this photo, as during the failure to feed issue it is clear that I failed to remove my finger from the trigger. Touche'

ACC06.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!!

I too am a Certified Military RO.

Exactly what is a Certified Military RO and how does it pertain to USPSA?

Just curious.

That is about 4 hours worth of sleep and 6 beers later, thinking two things at one time.

What was meant to be said is that I was a certified trainer when I was in the military. What it has to do with USPSA is that CQB drills are more in the lines of IDPA. But it is the same priciple if you're shooting a field course in USPSA that in transition remove finger from trigger as you would in CQB so you don't or in case you do sweep your partner.

dmshozer1, (you will have to view photos at photbucke as i states I've added too ,an

I can fully respect your opinion and decision in the above stated comment that all RO's cannot be in the right place, therefore becomes a judgment call. I too am a Certified Military RO.

However, I do communicate with the stage RO of my grip due to the fact that I lost my strong hand ring finger this summer amd meed ,u trigger finger for the exta grip on the firearm.

IMG_1164.jpg[/img]

It is hard to tell, but from second :28 to :36 is the timeline in question.

In the following Picture (ACC 01) I have my trigger finger wrapped around the front of the trigger guard.

I can see your concern in the below picture as it does to appear that my finger is in the trigger yet again forwardof the trigger again.

ACC02.jpg

This image will clearly show that my trigger finger is on the frame during reload.

ACC03.jpg

Picture 4 as well shows trigger finger is clearly on the frame prior to re-engagement.

ACC04.jpg

Picture 5,

During re-engaging the targes my trigger finger is clearly inserted onto the trigger.

ACC05.jpg

This photo I will side with you this photo, as during the failure to feed issue it is clear that I failed to remove my finger from the trigger. Touche'

ACC06.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!!

• 1 month later...

This is a really bonehead move at the 2009 Multi-gun Nationals. In the end it only cost me one place in the match but 8th is better than 9th.

I shot the stage realy well in about 30 seconds, 1 second slower than Daniel, but way the RO said "if your are finsihed unload and show clear" made me think he was trying to help me by letting me know I missed something (he wasn't its just the way he gives commands). I had already taken the mag out on my pistol and as I looked at the target closest to me I noticed only 1 "C" hit and I made it up. It was about 5 seconds to do that and even if it had been IMGA scoring it would been a wash. In doing the math later I would have been 2nd or 3rd on the stage insted of 15th, but I would have only given me about 30 more match points.

I've been shooting major 3-gun matches since 2003 and I don'tknow what the hell I was thinking when I did that and I knew it as soon as I did it. First stage jitters I guess.

Edited by TMC

There's almost too much here going wrong to describe it all. First I ran out of the first position without engaging all the targets I was supposed to. That's when I did the "Oh Sh!t" dance and went back to finish the second array.

Then for the life of me I couldn't clear the steel. At all. It was a mystery at the time, because I was calling hits, just not connecting.

Then at the final array I shot low right target, low right, high right, transition, oh crap - go back, high right, where now? Oh yeah, high left, high left, low left, low left.

It was my worst USPSA stage ever, by far. Later I went back to that range and worked on clearing those plate racks from different distances. The next time we shot them in a USPSA match it was two strings, the first strong hand and the second weak hand. I won the stage, beating an Open M in the process. It just goes to show what a little practice and confidence can do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beltjones1?feature=mhum#p/u/20/OCq4a7q5Ydo

• 2 weeks later...

No video, but my FUBAR would have probably been a scream to watch.

I was shooting a brand new gun, and being left-handed, I usually release the mag with the trigger finger of my left hand. Because the new gun had an enlarged mag release button, under recoil, the mag would spontaneously release if my grip wasn't perfect and the button hit the middle finger of my shooting hand; when breaking in the gun, this never happened because I would deliberately wrap my hands around the gun with a perfect textbook grip.

How this translated to the match was that every time I'd do a mag release (and change my hand position), the next round I fired would drop the magazine. I would fire, try to fire again (mag fell out), I'd rack the slide not realizing there was no mag, try to fire again, finally realize there was no mag, insert a fresh mag, try to fire again, rack the slide, and finally fire a shot. I did this entire comedy routine twice in a row.

It was like watching Jerry Lewis shooting a match.

Edited by Benl

1989 steel challenge-stage called "go for broke". two shooting boxes, 3 feet apart, one in front of the other. had to shoot two outside rectangles before going to the forward box to take the last 3 plates. trick gamble was to lean into the forward box...unless you miss the 2nd plate. did it twice in a row. still looks funny as heck. enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...