Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38+P 5 shot snubnose

RevolverJockey

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, didn't Ayoob publish a piece a few years ago that featured photos of our buddy Scott ("Where's my backup bucket?") Hattrup walking the city streets wearing a 4" 629 openly in a hip holster? Where was those pics taken? KC? For some reason, I have it in my head it was in Phoenix......

Then again, maybe the whole thing was a crazy dream, like that commercial where the guy is sitting at the kitchen table with Abe Lincoln and a talking beaver.

So the beaver says to Abe, "Do you have any logs?" . :surprise::roflol:

• 2 months later...

Can anyone shed some light on a speed loader for a 5 shot snub that clears the grips? I have tried the HKS and have to release the rounds barely in the cylinder and Comp 1s and while I like the mechanism better that bind up just as bad if not worse than the HKS loaders. Are people modifying the loaders or grips? Is there a model of grips that makes loading a bit easier?

Lee

hogue bantams arent that bad for speedloader clearance. Trick with comp ones is to ensure that the star is free of molding marks and "seams" a pen knife will clear that up for positive release. Other than that be firm with the insertion of the loader...you haven't got much space to work with so don't expect life to be K or L frame easy. .38's are relatively easy compared to .357's...you might want to try a lighter bullet for a shorter OAL? This is all a product of shooting a 120 round IDPA match with my 360M&P with 130gr fmj. I run 100gr .357 powrball for carry and it reloads with ease. 165's do not reload as easily.

I got them out again and it is hard to describe, but it seems like they work better fast than slow. As in babying them and being gentle, they hang up. At speed with very deliberate motions, the Safariland Comp 1s seem to do quite well even with the stock grips.

Lee

• 5 months later...

I often carry either a Kahr MK9 or a S&W340PD, the main factor depends on clothing worn and/or activities involved that day. I have a pocket holster for the 340PD and a waistband clip on the MK9.

I am more accurate with the MK9 but it does have better sights and weighs more, the 340PD is loaded with WWB .38FMJ "target" fodder. (I also carry a Glock 34/35 or a .45 1911 in a IWB holster too but not much anymore as the waistbands on my pants are getting tighter, sometimes I even use a 4" 617 in a OWB 3-slot holster..)

Edited by Sc0

Simple enough question, not wanting to start a caliber war. I recently picked up a 442 and love how light and easy it is to carry. When I look at the caliber on paper, I wonder if it is something for everyday carry. Any opinions would be appreciated. I did a few searches on BE and couldn't really come up with anything. Thanks in advance as always.

Lee

I carry a S&W642 wth the short barrel Gold Dot load.

I've shifted from a Glock 23 to a S&W 640 as the most commonly carried gun over the years. The snubbie you have with you when you need it beats the Glock or 1911 you left at home because it was too big. Nothing beats the conceabilty of a nice pocket holster in a pair of jeans - an important consideration when carrying in a location where such activity is 100% legal, but being noticed with a gun is just asking for a hassle especially if you are visiting a town where surveillance cameras as as plentiful as touristas.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone who said the gun with you is better than the one at home, are spot on. I also carry a 642 in my front pocket for the same reasons everyone else already indicated. I retired from law enforcement and most bad guy shootings were within a few yards regardless of weapon. The winner was usually the one that got to their gun first, regardless of caliber, and the looser wasn't fast enough to recognize the treat or run away.

Additionally, I would ask, who here has been in a close quarter gunfight? Of those who have, what do they think of a snubbie from their expeience? Most video of these shootouts, last within 2 seconds. Again, do you have your gun with you and do you recognize the threat. I know we all probably thought this through but very few of us have actually been in a shootout. I have investigated fatal shootings with a .38's and they worked as well as a 9mm or .45, thats first hand observation, not data from a chronograph or gun magazine editor. So, your .38 snubbie is plenty for protection but not for sustained combat, which one did you say you were expecting?

Edited by lora

Can anyone shed some light on a speed loader for a 5 shot snub that clears the grips? I have tried the HKS and have to release the rounds barely in the cylinder and Comp 1s and while I like the mechanism better that bind up just as bad if not worse than the HKS loaders. Are people modifying the loaders or grips? Is there a model of grips that makes loading a bit easier?

Lee

Here is what I did to make speed loaders and moon clips work better. I don't have a better pic of the 60 but I cut out a good bit of material on its grip also. Not real pretty but very functional.

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

Lee

Here is what I did to make speed loaders and moon clips work better. I don't have a better pic of the 60 but I cut out a good bit of material on its grip also. Not real pretty but very functional.

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

What kind of sights are on that J frame? D&L, Bowen or something else?

What kind of sights are on that J frame? D&L, Bowen or something else?

Both guns have Bowen rear sights and Trijicon front sights. Gary McVety at Amerigun USA did the work. I opened up both of the rears a good bit with a file - both deeper and wider. Keeping all rounds in the A zone at 25 yrds is not that hard. With the stock sights, not so much.