Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 38 SC for USPSA

user293

I will be reloading 38 SC for USPSA open division and was wondering what everyone is using for dies? I have a horndady LNL but dont really know the other eqipment i should get to get up performance in the rounds ill make. anyone have any ideas for eqipment or anything else like that? thanks

grumpy, im going to be shooting for the first time in open this coming spring, and have not yet got any equipment at all for shooting this division. ill do some searching of the forum.

I load 38 Super (not super comp), using a Dillon 550 and their dies. No issues....

I've loaded .38SC with a couple of different dies. If I were buying everything tomorrow, I'd get a Lee resizing die, a Redding Competition Seating Die and either a Hornady or Redding taper crimp die. In reality, .38SC isn't too picky about dies....in most cases any decent resizing and crimp die will work fine, but the Redding CSD is clearly superior (and you pay for it!). R,

Yeah, I'm in agreement with G-man...I do use the U-die for sizing but like he said, 38SC isn't too picky. I do use it a lot for 9 and .40 and it does make a difference there. The Redding CSD is awesome, you should look at that one closely. Have you decided on a bullet/powder combo yet? What pistol are you shooting? Good luck

Yeah, I'm in agreement with G-man...I do use the U-die for sizing but like he said, 38SC isn't too picky. I do use it a lot for 9 and .40 and it does make a difference there. The Redding CSD is awesome, you should look at that one closely. Have you decided on a bullet/powder combo yet? What pistol are you shooting? Good luck

bullets will be MG but i dont have my gun yet so I really dont know what it likes, and ill be using VV powder. from what I hear I cant really go wrong with those 2 choices. The gun will be STI slide/Frame I believe with Schuemann BBl./Comp combo with some Popple holes, Made by Grundhauser Gun Works in MN.

The standard Dillon die set is more than adequate for Supercomp. Until very recently, I've never run anything else. However, I've now added the vaunted Redding CSD, and it's pretty trick... ;)

I had nothing but bad experience with Redding crimp dies. Bought two, and both went back to the supplier - both quickly started producing scratches on cases.

I have been using Lee crimp dies instead for long time with no issues, so that's what I recommend.

The CSD is the Competition Seating Die with the micrometer on top....not the Crimp one.....I never had problems with mines, but I do used the Lee Factory Crimp Pistol Die because I can adjust the crimp like I want it's faster and very stable.

The CSD is the Competition Seating Die with the micrometer on top....not the Crimp one.....I never had problems with mines, but I do used the Lee Factory Crimp Pistol Die because I can adjust the crimp like I want it's faster and very stable.

I know what CSD is, I have several, I was answering specifically regarding Redding crimp die, as in from G-Man's post: "and either a Hornady or Redding taper crimp die"

Lee Crimp Dies are not without faults either. I have received some new ones where the crimp sleeve had horrible tool chatter marks on the working surface. As result they would stick to the case and leave horrendous marks. I ended up buying several sleeves so I could select good ones. They are inexpensive, which is good, but still, you don't expect tool marks like that.

All things considered, I would still recommend the Lee crimp dies overall - I use them on all my calibers.

Edited by Foxbat

Luke,

Focus more on the essentials. You are just starting in open on a limited budget. You can always upgrade later if you wish. a Dillon or Hornady press will work fine and each of their dies work fine also. You have a lot of gear to buy (everything) let alone the powder, bullets, brass and primers. Have you ordered your primers yet? If you want to shoot in the spring, I would start hunting right now.

Luke,

Focus more on the essentials. You are just starting in open on a limited budget. You can always upgrade later if you wish. a Dillon or Hornady press will work fine and each of their dies work fine also. You have a lot of gear to buy (everything) let alone the powder, bullets, brass and primers. Have you ordered your primers yet? If you want to shoot in the spring, I would start hunting right now.

well i have a bunch of large pistol primers left over from reloading .45 and a couple things of small rifle fom reloaidng 223. Ill bet theres someone out there who would trade up with me on those. if not, ill check with cabelas/the Gunstop soon. Just the reloading stuff has been on my mind cause its the thing that goes bang, and if i dont get it right, then thats not good. Pauls doin the gun, the ammunition falls on me. i just dont wanna miss anything. i have a pretty good idea Of holster, mag pouches, and Paul said hes got mags and will tune 'em to my gun so he said not to worry about mags. so thats where im at so far.

Oh, and how do you know my name?? :D

Small rifle primers seem to be easy to buy locally these days, without paying Hazmat fees and shipping. Regarding the reloading equipment - I usually advise to get very good, if not the best one, right away, otherwise you always end up paying twice. In addition to working well, good equipment is also easy to sell with virtually no loss, should you decide this is not for you.

Reloading is not rocket science, it simply requires some VERY basic knowledge and reasonable attention - don't do it with TV on and kids running around. A closed door and quiet music go long ways towards assuring quality and safety.

Luke,

well i have a bunch of large pistol primers left over from reloading .45 and a couple things of small rifle fom reloaidng 223. Ill bet theres someone out there who would trade up with me on those. if not, ill check with cabelas/the Gunstop soon. Just the reloading stuff has been on my mind cause its the thing that goes bang, and if i dont get it right, then thats not good. Pauls doin the gun, the ammunition falls on me. i just dont wanna miss anything. i have a pretty good idea Of holster, mag pouches, and Paul said hes got mags and will tune 'em to my gun so he said not to worry about mags. so thats where im at so far.

If you have small rifle primers, you might want to keep them. That's all I use for .38SC.

My original die set was Dillon, but, I would get occasionall lumpy ammo, like the bullet was offset in the case, even with new Starline brass. I switched to the Redding competition seating die, and no more lumpy ammo.

Oh, and how do you know my name?? :D

yea i know i need small rifle. but you never know with those MN gun talk guys! someone may wanna blast with .45 and they may have sold there .223 so they could have extra small rifle! but im sure gunstop will be in stock, down in Minnetonka.