Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Performance Center Disappointment

KT57

Sorry to be a bummer for a first post but I am disappointed. I bought a 625JM some time ago and found that 3 charge holes were not fully reamed. I finally got around to sending it back a couple months back. They replaced the cylinder under warranty and I asked for a Master Revolver Action job while it was there. Got it back recently and fired it for the first time today. First thing I noticed was the lock up on the cylinder was not as tight as the original. I had many failures to fire. I wanted to blame it on the cheap gunshow reloads but all of these light primer strikes discharged in a 1911. When I got home I noticed for the first time that the cylinder would unlock and rotate during fast double action dry firing. Well it will go back and I am sure S&W will correct it. Still not happy and I have a 5" 625 that needs to be tuned but I hesitate to send it to them now. Any thoughts, advice or recommendations for an alternate tuner?

Look no further than our own members here on the BE Forums.... A little looking in the Revolver Forum section will get you the names of some outstanding pistolsmiths to tune that gun to the "T."

You are right Merlin, but should we not get a good gun out of the box from Smith? My son got me a 625 JM a few years back for Father's Day, and the cylinders had burrs that would not even allow rounds to be chambered. Yes Smith fixed it, but why should a gun leave the factory like that? Hope someone from S&W is reading this stuff.

I'd keep sending it back until the Action is timed correctly and the chambers are acceptable.

You're just out of luck on a competition action job from them.

Once you get it back to a good solid stock firearm, send it to Carmoney or some other good smith in the know.

It's hard enough getting S&W to do the basics, let alone finesse one.

Don't send an already tuned Smith back to them because they will replace the non standard parts and not return the custom parts.

FWIW

Richard

It wasn't a tuned gun. It was stock and they failed on a Master Revolver Action package.. Now they have to fix it.

Don't send an already tuned Smith back to them because they will replace the non standard parts and not return the custom parts.

FWIW

Richard

Thanks for that info, guess I have to have my good stuff removed before sending it back for a repair?

Thanks for that info, guess I have to have my good stuff removed before sending it back for a repair?

I sent one back to have them fix the barrel and they removed my perfectly polished sear and put back one of their crooked rough ground ones that lifted the hammer to the side. I would put as many stock parts in as you can to keep your good ones.

You can go to the aggravation of sending it back and forth.... or take your lumps and get it done right by someone who actually cares about doing it right.

Personally the aggravation factor would prevent my wasting time with S&W.

As to S&W actually producing a product with pride in workmanship...... I wish but.........wacko.gif

You can go to the aggravation of sending it back and forth.... or take your lumps and get it done right by someone who actually cares about doing it right.

Personally the aggravation factor would prevent my wasting time with S&W.

As to S&W actually producing a product with pride in workmanship...... I wish but.........wacko.gif

Anyone else with the same opinion? I have been known to eat money to avoid frustration.

With my first 625 I almost did the same exact scenario. Chrome started chipping off the hammer. Sent it in had that replaced, and had them do a master action job while they had it. I told them it was a competition only pistol. I guess they paid attention to that part because it was a "Federal primer only" gun after I got it back. They did a pretty good job but I didn't care for the cheap looking roll pin for a trigger stop, and they barely touched the chambers for chamfering. The trigger was actually pretty good.

But if I were you I'd just go to Carmoney and not worry about it from that point on.

Moderator Note:

Normally I would have shut this one down as soon as I saw it but you guys have all done such a great job in leading this conversation in the correct direction that I don't feel that is necessary at this time. Please keep in mind though that this is not the place to air dirty laundry regarding customer service issues. That isn't my mandate but it is in the forum rules and we will stick with those rules. I mention that so we don't see this thread as a precedent.

Nice work guys,

-Larry Drake

The Moderating Team

• 3 weeks later...

The PC new stuff is just not what it used to be when it comes to the revolvers. Not sure why. I just got a SW 627 v-comp from the PC. The hammer was rough, it looked like it needed more machining before a finish was applied. But since I am planning to replace it with a bobbed one from APEX, I don't mind. Even the trigger looks rough. the springs used for the hammer and trigger, well,,,, had to be replaced with the JM ones to be able to bring the trigger pull to 7lbs. I also got a competition firing ping/spring to ensure ignition using Federal primers.

My point is that PC means performance center. They look more and more like special production runs. I cannot believe that a gusmith who takes pride on his work will allow one his guns to go to a customer in such rough shape.... Makes no sense.

However I bought a 22lr model 41 from the PC center and it is simply amazing: Trigger is crisp, look and feel was just outstanding. All I needed to do was to mount a red dot and by the Barbas of Santo Poco, I love it.

Edited by bobtorre

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

Well I received the gun back from S&W. They replaced the cylinder again and made it reliable albeit with a heavier action than the original stock action. Oh well. I do have one problem though. It seems to shave lead bullets alot. Lead shavings left in one chamber is especially heavy. Would chamfering the forcing cone help? I have a friend with the tool. Or should I send it to a smith. And no it won't go back to the Performance Center.