Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Kind of Slugs for a Saiga?

DyNo!

I'm going to be getting some slugs for the LaRue Tactical match rolling around next year - what kind are best to order online?

I don't have any trouble shooting Federal 100-round packs from Wal-Mart. What I don't want to do though is get 50 slugs that won't cycle my gun.

What do you all see used? Full power or reduced? Brand? etc.

I was eyeballing these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=918352

Edited by DyNo!

Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 1oz slugs...I believe federal make some similar. For bird shot Remington Premier Handicap 1235 fps...a little more $$$ but it is the best I have found for the S-12.

In my experience with multiple saigas, anything with a European crimp will not feed reliably. As the shells are stacked in the mag the crimped plastic on the front will compress, preventing it from chambering reliably. American style crimps such as on Federal or Winchester slugs feed fine as the front of the shell is supported by the slug. Wolf and Nobel sport slugs never ran in my gun.

Midway used to carry the Ranger slugs....however I only saw the winlite on the website. I have no idea if they are the same..+1 SinistralRifleman...Wolf will not feed in any of my S-12's. I would avoid the full power stuff...not only would it be a rough ride...you would have to change gas settings for birdshot

Good to know, Google doesn't turn up any hits for the Ranger slugs.

So if I'm reading this right, I'm good to go as long as it is made in America, has a hard front, and is advertised as low recoil?

Winlite is the cheapest:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=919582

Edited by DyNo!

I've used hundreds of Fiocchi 7/8 oz (1300 FPS) Low recoil slugs, 12LESLUG, they shoot like rifle bullets, very accurate and they function well in my gun. Part of the puzzle is how your gun is set up. Good idea with any ammo in a Saiga to buy 50 rounds and check them out before you make a big purchase. My gun would not function 100% with the Fiocchi 1 oz (1100 FPS) low recoil slugs or the B&P 7/8 oz slugs and I used some Federal TruBall Low Recoil slugs but they were not very accurate. I hear that Centurion makes a slug the same design as the 12LESLUG, but running about 1400 FPS which will help in some guns.

Doug

Here is a link to a place that sells the Fioochi's: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/10rds-12-gauge-fiocchi-low-recoil-2-34-78oz-exacta-aero-slug/cName/12-gauge-slug

I shot B&P slugs at Benning this weekend. I had a jam on one stage that I think was mag induced. On the all-slug stage, they ran flawless, and the superlight recoil is unbelievable. The price is the best part, $120.95 for 200, shipping included straight from B&P.

It's probably like .22's, find the one your gun likes, and stock up.

I shot B&P slugs at Benning this weekend. I had a jam on one stage that I think was mag induced. On the all-slug stage, they ran flawless, and the superlight recoil is unbelievable. The price is the best part, $120.95 for 200, shipping included straight from B&P.

+1 on B&P...they run excellent in my Benelli M2...both before and after the Benny Hill bolt lightening mod.

+1 on B&P...they run excellent in my Benelli M2...both before and after the Benny Hill bolt lightening mod.

+1 They are the best.

Remington 1 oz. Slugger slugs. Never had any issues with feeding, recoil or accuracy. Took 85 yard slugs shots on one stage at the Pan Am and my Saiga shot like a rifle. I've also had excellent luck with S&B buck even though it is european roll crimped. With a full choke, it patterns better than some premium buffered buckshot brands despite being very cheap shotshells.