Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

light strikes

hal1955

I have reduced my factory glock striker weight from 114 grains to 70 grains. I use the 4# wolff stiker sping and I still get light strikes with cci primers. I have a truckload of cci primers so I would like to make it work with cci if possible. Any suggestions?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many are you getting? How did you lighten your stricker?

I was getting 1-2/100 light strikes with the 4# wolff striker spring and factory ammo so I went back to the stock stricker spring. Any light strikes was too many for me. I need to load up some ammo with Federal Primers.

I now feel the difference between the stock and 4 lb striker spring is negligible during a match. You just don't have time to think about it. In fact, I just changed back to the stock striker spring this weekend and the gun ran 100% plus I was more conscious of my trigger prepping and squeezing because I thought the extra weight would throw my shots off. What it did was cause me to slow down and see my sights and break perfect shots and as a result I went 1 for 1 on steel for the first time ever at a 6 stage USPSA match. That included a stage with 2 texas stars side-by-side too.

A light trigger doesn't hurt though. :D

Sorry I didn't really answer your question but I am interested in the topic for sure.

Edited by jtischauser

CCI primers are notoriously hard. There is simply no way you're going to get 100 percent ignition reliability with a Wolff 4-pound firing pin spring.

Yep...CCI are harder to ignite.

With a reduced weight striker and 4# striker springs, I DO get 100% ignition with Winchester. The Federals are the ones that have had drop and ejector strike ignitions, so I go with Win.

If you need to use CCIs, go back to a standard weight striker spring. If all your other parts are polished and good quality, you will only get about 1/2# increase in trigger pull weight.

Edited by MarkCO

CCI primers are notoriously hard. There is simply no way you're going to get 100 percent ignition reliability with a Wolff 4-pound striker spring.

Yep.

With a reduced weight striker and 4# striker springs, I DO get 100% ignition with Winchester. The Federals are the ones that have had drop and ejector strike ignitions, so I go with Win.

If you need to use CCIs, go back to a standard weight striker spring. If all your other parts are polished and good quality, you will only get about 1/2# increase in trigger pull weight.

Thanks for your input. I don't understand what you mean by "drop and ejector strike ignitions". Could you explain?

I don't understand what you mean by "drop and ejector strike ignitions". Could you explain?

Federal primers are considered to be the most "sensitive". There are several documented cases of primers being impacted on ejectors when a live round ejects from an autoloader, and when dropped on the ground, causing ignition.

I'd be interested to see the documentation on that. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying: how could hitting the ejector cause the round to go off when it hits the ground? For that matter, assuming your primers are seated at all well, how could hitting the ground cause the primer to ignite?

I don't understand what you mean by "drop and ejector strike ignitions". Could you explain?

Federal primers are considered to be the most "sensitive". There are several documented cases of primers being impacted on ejectors when a live round ejects from an autoloader, and when dropped on the ground, causing ignition.

Really? They are that sensitive? I'm amazed that they can even be shipped using conventional means of transport. <_<

To the OP:

Just put the stock striker back in the gun. You woun't notice anything except every round will go off. :D

Edited by sirveyr

Duane, the ejector and ground have no connection. There are 2 separate issues:

1. Hitting the ejector and igniting.

2. Hitting an object on the ground that makes enough of an indentation to ignite.

Neither have anything to do with improper seating.

You do understand that anything that makes enough of an indentation can cause ignition, not just firing pins? That is the whole premise of zip-guns.

Edited by MarkCO

I now feel the difference between the stock and 4 lb striker spring is negligible during a match. You just don't have time to think about it. In fact, I just changed back to the stock striker spring this weekend and the gun ran 100% plus I was more conscious of my trigger prepping and squeezing because I thought the extra weight woudl throw my shots off. What it did was caseu me to slow down and see my sights and break perfect shots and as a result I went 1 for 1 on steel for the first time ever at a 6 stage USPSA match. That included a stage with 2 texas stars side-by-side too. A light trigger doesn't hurt though. though :D

Jesse!

You make daddy very proud!

I now feel the difference between the stock and 4 lb striker spring is negligible during a match. You just don't have time to think about it. In fact, I just changed back to the stock striker spring this weekend and the gun ran 100% plus I was more conscious of my trigger prepping and squeezing because I thought the extra weight woudl throw my shots off. What it did was caseu me to slow down and see my sights and break perfect shots and as a result I went 1 for 1 on steel for the first time ever at a 6 stage USPSA match. That included a stage with 2 texas stars side-by-side too. A light trigger doesn't hurt though. though :D

Jesse!

You make daddy very proud!

Jesse, have you thought of shooting "local" matches with a more stock type trigger and then majors with your "best race" trigger?

CCI primers are notoriously hard. There is simply no way you're going to get 100 percent ignition reliability with a Wolff 4-pound firing pin spring.

The firing pin spring will increase or decrease the trigger pull roughly the same amount regardless of other work done. I have fired 10,300 flawless rounds with a G4 G17 and I am using a reduced strength firing pin spring and shooting every kind of commercial ammunition I can find. I changed the firing pin spring at approximately 5,000 rounds. I have exceeded 5,000 rounds on the current one.

A small group of federal agents were using our range to tune-up for their qualifications. Two of us were back near the range house waiting to use the range when they were done and one of them yelled "who fired that shot". We replied we don't have a loaded weapon here so it wasn't us. They insisted someone had and we walked down. They had been firing a string and insisted that they heard a shot from their rear. They had boxes of factory 9mm (Remington if I recall correctly) open sitting on the rear of the paved 15yd. line. One end of one of the styrofoam(?) trays had been shattered and particles were scattered and there were brass fragments lodged in the tray.

They were positive that a round had come from behind and struck the loaded ammo tray. They were getting a little testy when someone spotted a bullet (same as those in the tray) in the grass just off the edge of the 15 yard line. This bullet was a JHP and matched those in the loaded rounds. There were fresh fired brass scattered around the tray of loaded ammo so it didn't take a PHD to determine that an ejected piece of brass had landed with the rim contacting the primer of a loaded round in the tray and "POW". The fresh bullet had no rifling marks.

They pushed the loaded trays back into the cardboard boxes and continued firing.

The blunt contours of a piece of light, empty brass hit a seated Remington primer - a type of primer renowned for its toughness - and set it off? I'm sorry but the evidence put forth is so circumstantial - even if the baseline scenario made any sense at all - I'm just not buying that.

Still waiting for that documentation. ;)

Duane, You'll have to take my word. No documentation. ;)

I was shooting a local IDPA match. At unload and show clear, I ejected the mag and pulled the slide to the rear and ejected the round in the chamber and let it fall clear. Then there was a loud bang. :surprise: The chambered round had struck a piece of gravel and ignited the primer. It was probably a Federal. We found the brass with the primer missing and the end of the brass was split and bent back. We never found the bullet or primer. The SO, wearing shorts had some red marks on his legs where he was struck by shrapnel. I was wearing jeans and wasn't injured. I think I might still have the brass. If I can find it I'll post a picture.

We had a guy set set one off on the ejector of a 1911 at a local match when jerking the slide back at unload and show clear. Thats one reason I don't cover the ejection port when yanking it back. Your more likely to do it if you do the jerk and catch rather than slowly pulling it back

The blunt contours of a piece of light, empty brass hit a seated Remington primer - a type of primer renowned for its toughness - and set it off? I'm sorry but the evidence put forth is so circumstantial - even if the baseline scenario made any sense at all - I'm just not buying that.

I'd also like to meet the man who can spot a fired bullet sitting in the grass. And for the bullet to be so close and still intact after going through the table, hitting the ground and then making it's way off the range and coming to a rest high enough in the grass to be spotted.?? Something ain't stiring the Kool-Aide right on this one!! :P

Duane, I still eject loaded rounds onto gravel. I'm sure not going to try and catch them. :unsure:

I dunno, man. After having had the firsthand experience of ejecting a live round onto gravel and having it explode on impact, I think the moral I would have taken away from the story would be, "Don't drop live rounds on gravel." ;)

CCI primers are notoriously hard.

Duane...I've heard that mentioned about CCI primers well in the past...however about a year ago in Guy Neill's reloading column in Front Sight, he said that CCI primers a long time ago, had a primer compound that was more difficult to ignite and that the primer cups were the same hardness as other popular brands.....so following your other line of questioning...can you show the documentation that says CCI primers are harder than Winchester/Federal?