Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SHOOTING BLIND

MARKAVELI

Been reloading for a few months now and how I gotten through with out cronographing my loads is a good question. I been curious about my loads and have been window shopping for a cronograph, my questions are what are you guys using to crono your load and why? and at most competition shooting matches what is being used at the matches? Thanks in advance...

Edited by MARKAVELI

AT most matches you will see the CED Chronos. Personally I prefer the ProChrono Digital from CE. It is alot cheaper (1/2 the cost) and it has performed flawlessly. I shot the 2 side by side and the deviation was less that 5 FPS on the trials.

I made a box and have (2) CED M2 chronographs in it. It is WAY overkill but when I go to a chrono stage at a major match I am 100% sure of what I will get. Through 12 Majors in 2010 I was always with 2 PF of what I had printed on my ammo boxes.

Lee

Thanks fellas, @ Sarge, wow! I see there where others shooting blind, surprised I missed this I typed in crono and crony and cronograph and got other posts only to be talkin about their loads..... what does DS mean? and what is this usb that plugs into your laptop? and I googled procrono and it mentioned a remote and printer and does it do the averaging for you? sorry for all the questions!

Edited by MARKAVELI

Thanks fellas, @ Sarge, wow! I see there where others shooting blind, surprised I missed this I typed in crono and crony and cronograph and got other posts only to be talkin about their loads..... what does DS mean? and what is this usb that plugs into your laptop? and I googled procrono and it mentioned a remote and printer and does it do the averaging for you? sorry for all the questions!

DS? Probably thinking of SD= Standard Deviation. When you shoot a string and then check your results the Pro Chrono will give you HI, LOW, AVERAGE velocities. It will give ES extreme spread and SD standard deviation. In very general terms the lower the SD the more consistant your loads are. This typically leads to better accuracy and tighter groups. Not always, but usually. With low ES and SD the chances of getting a predictable PF from match to match are much higher.

The Pro chrono is a great machine but as much as I like it there are two things about it that some may not like. ONE- unless you buy the remote kit you have to walk to the chrono to punch up results for a string. Granted it is only around 10 feet away but on a range with other shooters this would be a problem.

TWO- the machine will not figure PF like the CED does. I have a $5 calculator in my tool box that takes care of that.

Fortunately for me, I have a place to chrono that does not pose a problem for me going down range to get my results. I don't work with different calibers like some guys do so this chrono is more than enough machine for me. I have found that I use it every weekend for a month or so while I'm fine tuning a new load and then it just sits in the closet until I decide to experiment. If I were working on loads all the time for rifle, several pistols, etc at a crowded range then I would most likely opt for the much more expensive CED.

Sarge, I meant SD, whats PF? Does the remote kit come with the printer? and where is the best place to shop for a procrono?

PF is Power Factor. When shooting USPSA matches, ammo must meet certain criteria, such as bullet weight (in some divisions), certain caliber (in all divisions), and power factor. Power factor is determined by multiplying the velocity (FPS) of the round when fired through a chrono and the weight of the bullet divided by 1,000. For example, a 180 grain bullet going 1050 FPS has a power factor of 189. Minor power factor in USPSA is 125, anything below is not counted and you are just shooting for fun. Major power factor is 165, so in order to be scored for major, you have to have a PF above 165, or you will be scored minor.

Thanks Grumpyone, it looks like I got a looooong way to go..... :unsure:

Not really. It's not all that complicated, but it is impossible to figure out without a chrono. It will all come together easier than you think.

yrs ago i asked chronoman what he was using at the major matches(at the time was the first gen CED) went out and got one so i wouldnt get any surprizes showing up at major matches, and its served me well, does everything you would want, sd/es/pf at the touch of a button

i found the lil chrony's while greatfor compact size etc. were giving me 50 fps differences in side by side readings w/ the CED...

Edited by calishootr

My prochrono reading is almost right on the tee with this years Nationals chrono...but then again.. i live in Vegas...where we had the Nationals...

Edited by Yagi