Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel cased ammo in Glock 9mm?

ranger

AIM SURPLUS has a deal on steel cased Russian Novosibirsk Cartridge Plant 9mm ammunition. Has anyone shot steel cased 9mm ammo in a Glock in volume enough to confirm or deny that steel cased ammo does or does not damage a Glock?

Thanks

AIM SURPLUS has a deal on steel cased Russian Novosibirsk Cartridge Plant 9mm ammunition. Has anyone shot steel cased 9mm ammo in a Glock in volume enough to confirm or deny that steel cased ammo does or does not damage a Glock?

Thanks

I shot 300 rounds this weekend.... Tula from Walmart. Why would it damage a glock?

Don't have much experience with Glocks but one of my shooting buddies always shoots Tula, Brown Bear, whatever is cheapest for Steel Challenge in his Glock. Never seems to give him any trouble and he's been doing it for as long as I have known him.

Ranger,

I was nervous about shooting Russian steel ammo through my Glock as well. Two longtime Glock owners assuaged those fears with the following statements: "There ain't much that won't go bang in a Glock"; and "A Glock'll eat all that. No problem." (I have not experienced any gun damage after the numbers listed below.)

I have not used that particular brand, but have put the following 9mm ammo through my Glocks (a 17 and a 34):

Monarch steel: ~2,500

Brown Bear: ~450

TULA: ~50

Here are the results:

Monarch steel: smells to high heaven, but very reliable; I think I've had two or three rounds "fail to fire."

Brown Bear: also smells, also reliable; no failures yet, but I haven't shot that many.

TULA: **I will not be firing any more TULA ammunition through ANY of my guns.** I had a feed problem with them in my Glock 34. Fortunately, it was just target practice, not competition. I have had feed problems using TULA in my .40 Springfield XD in competition.

I would recommend testing a few boxes. If you don't have any problems after ~200 rounds, I would think its a safe bet you won't.

Hope this helps.

Over the course of several years, in different guns (G17, G22, G34/35 & M&P 9&.40), have had FTE's with mainly wolf steel cased ammo, quite a few times in the M&P's. Round fires and the case stays in the chamber, unable to eject with multiple tries, have to rod the case out.

See the same with the steel cased rifle ammo in ar's/sig556s/etc.

Edited by rc2125

I've found the "trick" for my Glocks when shooting steel cased ammo is to make sure the chamber gets cleaned well after every session. Seem the laquer on the steel cases will transfer to the chamber area when you get the gun good and HOT. It was only then that I experienced some feeding/extraction issues. Cleaning the chamber every 3-5 hundred rounds eliminated the problem and gun runs the steel ammo well.

I don't use anything BUT Brown Bear in my G17, lol :) Must be going on 20k rounds so far....I think you'll be ok! Only problems in all those rounds have been the odd dud primer (and by that I mean one in about every 2000).

Have shot a little bit of the Wolf/Tula stuff....it all went bang but is inconsistantly loaded - as well as chrono, you can even feel it. Stick with the Bear stuff, its much better and not really any more expensive.

Edited by DanielW

I've found the "trick" for my Glocks when shooting steel cased ammo is to make sure the chamber gets cleaned well after every session. Seem the laquer on the steel cases will transfer to the chamber area when you get the gun good and HOT. It was only then that I experienced some feeding/extraction issues. Cleaning the chamber every 3-5 hundred rounds eliminated the problem and gun runs the steel ammo well.

Its not the lacquer....it doesn't even melt if you hold a blow torch on it - that's just a persistent urban myth. The problem is carbon build up due to the steel case not expanding as well as brass to seal against the chamber wall, therefore you get a bit of carbon build up (and Russian ammo being dirty, it helps it build up). I've not had any such trouble, but then again I always clean every 2-300 rounds anyway.

I am always amazed at the people worried that steel cased ammo will damage their gun. But they'll put nickeled brass into their gun without a second thought. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not the nickel coating considerably harder than the mild steel used in Russian ammo casings?

• 2 weeks later...