Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 sometimes "forgets" the primer

Every now and then the primer is not loaded into the case, resulting in powder spill.

Happens intermittently. I cleaned the primer system and the tube doesn't have any obstructions - what could be causing this? Primers are CCI small. Would a small additional weight on the rod do the trick?

It is automotive vacuum tubing. Take your primer slide with you to the autoparts store, figure out what size fits on the "tit", and buy a long piece that will last the lifetime of your press... :roflol:

Take it home, cut it so it does not stick outside the body of the slide, and then put it in the raceway on the press ( make sure to clean out the raceway now, especially under the shellplate area with some brake cleaner, compressed air, but make sure not to get the brake cleaner on the plastic tip from the primer tube) and use your finger to slide it back and forth. If it is smooth with no resistance, then take it out, apply a drop of super glue to the "tit" and then put the rubber sleeve back on, let it dry, then you should be good to go. The Glue helps the sleeve stay on the "tit" longer, and keeps it from wearing out as fast as it is tight against the "tit" instead of getting smushed everytime it works.

Hope this helps!

DougC

Thank you, Brian, for the link!

I find it EXTREMELY disheartening, though, that today, in 2010, we are discussing the very same problems that people complained about in 2002.

Someone should REALLY get his act together. I know full well - if I treated customer complaints and problem in this way, my company would have been out of business long ago.

The problems with registration are trivial in mechanical engineering, someone simply has to do what should be done.

BTW, the idea of dropping primers into the tube one at a time, to see if they make it through is fine, but a bit tedious. I ordered precision ground rods from McMaster, in different sizes - they have them in very fine increments. The rod should make it much easier to align the slider hole with the tube. The rods are just a couple bucks ea.

Edited by Foxbat