Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I enter a match yet?

BhmJeep

So I'm 45 years old, been shooting all of my life (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, and years of hunting) but never in competition. I know safe weapons practices; I know my limits and know when to keep my mouth shut and my ears open.

I have just started learning and practicing USPSA/IDPA style exercises, dry firing, shooting at different distances etc... I have never done any timing (no timer yet) or even practiced on an action course.

When should I considering entering into one of our local matches (there is one almost every weekend here in Birmingham)?

Mike

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show up to a local match early and introduce yourself. Let them know you have never shot a uspsa match but you have been shooting guns for a long time. They will pair you up with someone that will show you the ins and outs and walk you thru the process. I am sure you will pick it up very quickly and catch the bug. Its all about having fun. (As long as you win) only joking, you will have a blast. :)

As far as matches in your area I am sure someone else here will provide a few. I'm on my blackberry at the moment.

The only thing you really need to know for your first match is basic safety rules (shouldn't be a problem for you, but really focus on your finger and muzzle discipline). Other than that, just pretend you're playing a game of "Simon Says" with the RO. My guess is that you will be way ahead of most other new guys, but just be safe and help tape targets and you will be everyone's favorite new shooter.

No time like the present. :)

Every range I've been to welcomes new shooters to the sport. They will put you with someone to walk you through the basics step by step. Just go try it and have fun.

Steel City just had their monthly match this past Saturday. 1st Saturday usually every month.

FOP range isn't having their USPSA matches any more.

Those are the only 2 ranges I know of in this area. Which side of B'Ham you on?

Go ahead and get your feet wet. If you are hesitant, go watch a match first. Safety (and the range rules) are the number one priority.

Steel City, Moss Branch, Central Alabama, East Alabama and Heritage (all have web sites) have regular matches.

We practice at the FOP range in Pleasant Grove on a regular basis. If you'd like to join us, send me a PM.

Ken

I did go and watch the match at Steel City this past Saturday, (took my 15 year old son also). It was a lot of fun to watch but we froze out there!! It was 34 degrees when they started at 10am.

I am on the south side of B'ham down in Alabaster. I go out to the Helena Wildlife Management Area 2 or 3 times a week right now. Thinking of joining Steel City.

Mike

Mike,

I shot my first match 2 years ago when I was 45. Jump in the water's fine. If the people in your area are like they are here, shoot what you got, we will find a place for you. +1 to all the good comments from the posters before me.

The range officers love safe shooters. Keep that muzzle in a safe direction and follow the RO's directions.

Edited by GForceLizard

As long as you can follow the safety rules and and the range commands and bring a positive attitude, you're ready to shoot your first match. I've never heard anyone say, man, I wish I had waited to try this. I hear the opposite regularly.

NO!

If the matches in your area shut down for December and January, getting hooked in November will cause you to be all wound up waiting on February. (That's what happened to me.)

as long as you can safely handle a gun, you are ready! find a local one and have at it!

This.

All kidding aside. Get out there and shoot. When you start, you'll wish you started sooner, so don't put it off.

So.... Let me see if I understand you guys.....

I think all of you are hinting that I give it a try. ;)

Well I have a Springfield XDm .40 with no mods and five 16 round clips (Springfield had a special of 3 free clips)

I guess I will just see who has a match this weekend and jump in!! I will see if my son will go with me and video the spectical so we can all have a good laugh. :roflol:

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Mike

So.... Let me see if I understand you guys.....

I think all of you are hinting that I give it a try. ;)

Well I have a Springfield XDm .40 with no mods and five 16 round clips (Springfield had a special of 3 free clips)

I guess I will just see who has a match this weekend and jump in!! I will see if my son will go with me and video the spectical so we can all have a good laugh. :roflol:

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Mike

You're set up fine for either Production or Limited-10. L-10 will let you score Major, but sometimes clubs don't have many/any people shooting it. If that's the case, jump in with the Production shooters, and just sort of follow along.

Okay, I can't help myself on the whole "clip" thing (it is meant in jest)!

Magazine_vs_Clip.jpg

Edited by G-ManBart

Get that xd and go shoot the match. #1 be safe, #2 don't worry about anything but making your hits.

My old shooting buddie always says "The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss!"

This is technically correct but remain focused on hits and you will do fine.

This is not a simple game at the onset. The rules are not obvious all the time, the gun handling skills are far superior of any you've ever encountered and the scoring is damn near impossible to figure out the first few times out.

All of these things combined mean that the sooner you immerse yourself, the sooner you'll be able to comprehend the game and participate competitively.

My point is simply GO SHOOT. Go slow, tell the match director you're new and he'll find you a mentor. Familiarize yourself with the rulebook ahead of time, but don't expect it all to make sense... so get out there and learn!

well....crap! I had typed in a long response here, but my phone ate it. arrghhh....

anywhooo, long story short, you probably don't know as much as you think you know about gun safety.

you need to go into this match with a very open mind and ears and pay attention to every word the RO tells you.