Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding additional parts to production trigger group.

caspian guy

Is it legal to add additional parts to the trigger group of a production gun?

I read the section in the appendix on permitted internal modifications. It appears that based on the current verbiage of this section that replacing existing parts with aftermarket parts or modifying existing parts ok. I wasn't sure if that covered adding new parts.

Specifically I am asking about the apex tactical ram. Based on what little information I could find (also a nice youtube video) it appears that it add a new pin and spring to the trigger group to give it a more positive reset.

Since I don't want to hijack Apex's product announcement with a discussion I decided to start a new topic.

Ok, I can see that... I guess I was looking at the current wording in D4 21.5 Internal modification.

INTERNAL parts: This clause is NOW interpreted

to mean that a broad range of INTERNAL parts may

be modified or replaced – either with OEM or aftermarket

parts.

However since that section is titled Exchange of minor INTERNAL components... you can't exchange what wasn't there...

So unless I misunderstand what the RAM consists of I can't use it in production.

Thanks

Edited by caspian guy

Simple solution is to ask DNROI. Just send John an email with a link to the website and as much info on it as you can come up with. He'll get you an answer that will have more weight than anything we say here.

As long as it leads to an interpretation, it'll carry more weight. Absent that, it'll be up to individual RMs to make a decision.....

I'd prefer the interpretation for clarity's sake.....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
However since that section is titled Exchange of minor INTERNAL components... you can't exchange what wasn't there...

Technically it does replace an existing part. It replaces that silly plug that normally fills that hole in the frame when you have a M&P not equipped with a mag disconnect or internal lock.

Now the question is can you replace a minor internal part that serves no real purpose with one that does?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

I emailed Apex directly and ask them if the RAM was legal for USPSA Production.

Here is the response I received:

Hello Mark,

Yes, according to John Amidon; the RAM is USPSA Production legal.

Regards,

Lisa

Just wanted to pass this along for those of you waiting on an answer.

Mark

why would it be illegal? its an internal modification,not seen from the outside, and a trigger enhancement part. last I heard you were allowed to do things internally for accuraccy purposes. How can it be different than putting a new match grade barrel in your gun, that can be seen by everyone? My oppinion if it is safe, its ok! by I am not John Amidon.

You just might want to get a ruling on that. It is up to the shooter to prove legality.

Just sayin...

We've been trying, no answer from Amidon.

why would it be illegal? its an internal modification,not seen from the outside, and a trigger enhancement part. last I heard you were allowed to do things internally for accuraccy purposes. How can it be different than putting a new match grade barrel in your gun, that can be seen by everyone? My oppinion if it is safe, its ok! by I am not John Amidon.

The difference is that a new barrel is a replacement part. The RAM is not a replacement it is an addition, and therefor not covered explicitly.

Thanks for the links.

I find that similar to any number of internal mods that are common in guns in use in our sport. Including the mentioned over-travel stops in guns like the Glock....or, adding a spring to remove the mag disconnect from the M&P...

The difference is that a new barrel is a replacement part. The RAM is not a replacement it is an addition, and therefor not covered explicitly.

It does replace a part.

Edited by staudacher