Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

comp for 9mm major

hal1955

I don't own a 9 major, but I pay a lot of attention to what my favorite gunsmiths use. Looks like quite a few run the bedell ti comp and cut the first pair of side bleaders off as it doesn't do much and just lengthened the gun. I believe that's 4 Top ports & 2 side ports. I see the same done to EGW 7 port comps. MC guns has a short Ti 3 port with 2 holes as well.

The Dawson Awesome (aka Todd Jarrett) Comp.

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=797

So Good I got a Pair of them:

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=794

Bedel TI - Ben there done that:

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=755

Nobody said Brazos yet:

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=743

I like my Dawson Comped guns the best, they are flat and soft with just about any load.

Edited by CocoBolo

Hello: I have a Bedell titanium, Brazos thundercomp II and a new STI barrel series II and comp setup. I want to try all of these to see which one works best. I am waiting on a Schuemann barrel that will be the test barrel for the Bedell and Brazos. I was going to try the Dawson comp but think it may be more weight on the end of the barrel and I won't like that. I have a slide setup that Benny Hill cut the last port off the Bedell titanium comp. He did that for me about a year ago but I still need to fit it to a frame. One thing that most people I think foget to do is play with different loads and powders. I know my Bedell shorty I had liked lots of gas and a higher power factor. It shot flatter and felt softer at 171-174PF than it did at 168PF. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have a Bedell titanium, Brazos thundercomp II and a new STI barrel series II and comp setup. I want to try all of these to see which one works best. I am waiting on a Schuemann barrel that will be the test barrel for the Bedell and Brazos. I was going to try the Dawson comp but think it may be more weight on the end of the barrel and I won't like that. I have a slide setup that Benny Hill cut the last port off the Bedell titanium comp. He did that for me about a year ago but I still need to fit it to a frame. One thing that most people I think foget to do is play with different loads and powders. I know my Bedell shorty I had liked lots of gas and a higher power factor. It shot flatter and felt softer at 171-174PF than it did at 168PF. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Eric - The weight isn't bad. I have a 4 port Brazos I'm going to be trying on my shorty soon as I get a chance, and the gun with the Bedel Comp is getting a Dawson!

I agree with you on the Bedel it didn't start to work till it hit 175 pf, then it felt good and it was nice a flat as it should be. I put it on the gun since the old comp was a boat anchor and made the gun very nose heavy the TI cured that but it didn't work any better just lighter, till I cranked up the PF.

Hello: If you are going to build a steel gun I would build a shorty with a titanium comp because of the transitions. The power factor is only 120 so you won't need a comp that needs alot of gas. Shooting steel quickly requires fast transitions with precise stopping on the plates. I still need to work on that :roflol: A light slide and a large dot would be the only other things I would do. Thanks, Eric

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=755

Nobody said Brazos yet:

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=743

I like my Dawson Comped guns the best, they are flat and soft with just about any load.

Coco I have tried a 115g open major clocking at 1520s with a full slide and autocomp.

compensator is brazos thundercomp with 3 holes. Not soft shooting, its flat with minimal

lift inside cmore(half glass lift)..Ilike alittle more lift so I can track dot better..if its too small, i cant tell where the dot lifted? hope this makes sense.

Can you describe the dot lift on your dawson comp with 2 side ports and 4 sideports(aka todd Jarred)? thanks.

I really miss my first major 9mm..it was so flat shooting. it had 4 taperred barrel, mild scallop behind 5.0 slide and 2 aggressive big ports comp on it.

http://staticthumbs3.freewebs.com/LARGETHUMBS/16/5d/165d1336e213094c49a482742ad66c57.jpg

Edited by shooterbenedetto

I like the Bedell 5 port comp. This picture is from the 2010 Monster Match, full size Bedell 9mm major gun using 7 grains of Autocomp with 124 grain Montana Gold bullet. I love this gun and load combo, and geez I have tried most combinations out there.

post-1541-056792100 1289228758_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulW

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=755

Nobody said Brazos yet:

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=743

Coco I have tried a 115g open major clocking at 1520s with a full slide and autocomp.

compensator is brazos thundercomp with 3 holes. Not soft shooting, its flat with minimal

lift inside cmore(half glass lift)..Ilike alittle more lift so I can track dot better..if its too small, i cant tell where the dot lifted? hope this makes sense.

Can you describe the dot lift on your dawson comp with 2 side ports and 4 sideports(aka todd Jarred)? thanks.

I really miss my first major 9mm..it was so flat shooting. it had 4 taperred barrel, mild scallop behind 5.0 slide and 2 aggressive big ports comp on it.

http://staticthumbs3...2742ad66c57.jpg

Almost all of our unhappiness comes from comparing ourselves to others, same goes for open guns. Don't shoot someone elses gun you migh fall in love with it then you are unhappy with yours.

Dot movement with the Dawson DP 2 is from about the bottom of the A-Zone to the top of the A-Zone. It don't move a whole lot. Now this is with the optimum load, change the bullet or powder and you can get more movement and a bit more recoil. My smith shot the gun and just pulling the trigger like an idiot he would consistently get 2 A's. I don't do that I follow the dot.

My Brazos comped gun with no holes (its a shorty) it is fairly soft but has a bit of flip but not bad. Autocomp was too erratic in the shorty, silhouette works better. Now in the Dawson DP2 gun AutoComp works just as good as Silhouette, in fact you can't tell the difference.

I'd think you would be the expert you have owned and shot probably a 100 open gun in the last 6 months right?:goof:

You are right! Of all designs out there in 38 super I would think Brazo has the most efficient as bob has spent lot of time making it efficient.

I'm sticking and going back to the Old school long comp and full slide

Not lightened... It's by far more softer than any other. I look at Jojo, Kc, Todd and they have the long comp back on again. These lightening holes just makes them bit more erratic. Depends on your cup of tea. Thank for the input

Almost all of our unhappiness comes from comparing ourselves to others, same goes for open guns. Don't shoot someone elses gun you migh fall in love with it then you are unhappy with yours.

CocoBolo,

You said it! I just tried a couple of my buddies open pistols by JV Dynamics.

Dang it, I want it so bad.. just out of budget and have too many open Tanfoglio's.

Hopefully soon, I'll go that route.

CocoBolo,

You said it! I just tried a couple of my buddies open pistols by JV Dynamics.

Dang it, I want it so bad.. just out of budget and have too many open Tanfoglio's.

Hopefully soon, I'll go that route.

Just make sure you have the details of the gun in your head, because something else won't feel the same. I'm dropping off 2 of my open guns today for work, no they are not broke and they shoot real nice, but they can stand the slighest bit of improvement. One is getting a new Schueman Barrel and my favorite COMP - Dawson DP-2, goodby Bedel. The other is getting a 4 port Brazos ThunderComp 3, and goodby ThunderComp II.

I had one of those Gold Team V8's very accurate and heavy. I didn't know enough at the time to truely appreciate what a great gun it was. I had so many people blowing the STI/SVI smoke up my skirt I sold it, and bought an STI. After 2 years 6 STI's and lots of changes I'm finally happy with one of my guns, and I shot a 93% with it Sunday, not bad for a C class shooter. Its figuring out what works for you, in my case that is a very efficient comp and a light weight gun. The little details matter a lot like just the safety, and how the grip is cut beaver tail etc. It has to fit you and feel good in your hand. :P

Hey Ron! Looks like one of your Dawson comps has two sets of side ports. One in the first chamber and one in the last. The other only has side ports in the last chamber. What difference have you observed between the two, if any?

Thanks,

Thomas

Hey Ron! Looks like one of your Dawson comps has two sets of side ports. One in the first chamber and one in the last. The other only has side ports in the last chamber. What difference have you observed between the two, if any?

Thanks,

Thomas

TRod - You can see more day light thru the one with two. I can't tell any difference, they both feel the same to me shooting the same ammo. The two guns are very similiar, I call the blued one the ugly twin, the slide on it is about 1/2 oz heavier. Shooting the Brazos comp the first thing and the predominant thing is you feel more straight back and some flip. Moving along to the Bedel it has a good amount of flip and it is putting a good slap in the palm, it starts to tame down at 175pf.

Ron: What is a Thundercomp 3? What don't you like about the Bedell comp? I like the titanium ones. I still need to get the Dawson comp to try. Thanks, Eric

Eric - There isn't a lot to like about the Bedel comp, its light weight but the Brazos is close on weight, but the big thing is its shiney. Yep it shines. Ok other than that the Bedel needs holes to help it tame the gun and it needs lots of gas. I had to put the load up to about 175pf to get it to flatten out. It is Titanium. I had to have the smith Ream the Bedel 4 times to get it right, admittedly we were striving for only reaming it out the minimum amount to keep it good and tight.

The ThunderComp 3 has another port, it is a 4 port, versus the ThuderComp II being a 3 port. I'm not couning the end ports that are sideways if I did it would be a 6 port versus a 5 port. I just dropped that comp off with my Briley 38Super to get it swapped. I'll let you know how it does once I get it back. The Super gun with the Brazos ThunderComp II needed to soften up some and I didn't want to put holes in it so I'm trying the 3. I have not had to ream any of the Brazos comps once fitted you just shoot them.

The threads on the Dawson Comps both Cone and Bull have been a bit small and added a level of difficulty getting them mounted on the barrel. Dawson comps also need to be aligned reamed once mounted.

Pick any one of the comps mentioned. Experiment with various powder/bullet combinations. Pick whichever one seems like a good overall compromise. Load a huge pile of them and practice!

I have, have had, or tried most of the comps listed here. Yeah, they're all a little different, but not all that much.

After coming back to the sport I went with the load my gunsmith recommended, and ran that for a year. I then made a change to a lighter bullet and slower powder for a year. After a grand total of two loads, I made Master. I tested a lot of other powders, bullets, etc during that time, but never saw enough reason to change. In fact, some of the testing was in case I couldn't get the powder/bullets I prefered. Pick what seems to work, shoot it a whole bunch and you'll be way farther down the road than if you spend a bunch of time trying to find the perfect combo today. R,

Eric - There isn't a lot to like about the Bedel comp, its light weight but the Brazos is close on weight, but the big thing is its shiney. Yep it shines. Ok other than that the Bedel needs holes to help it tame the gun and it needs lots of gas. I had to put the load up to about 175pf to get it to flatten out. It is Titanium. I had to have the smith Ream the Bedel 4 times to get it right, admittedly we were striving for only reaming it out the minimum amount to keep it good and tight.

Yeah, I'm not buying that...as someone who has a Bedell with that exact comp (in Ti). I've shot no less than seven different guns, for certain, (maybe more) with that comp on it, and they've all shot nicely. No need for holes, but it does like slower powders.

The big thing is that it's shiny? :surprise:

You weren't still using heavy recoil springs with that setup were you Ron?

Edited by G-ManBart

Pick any one of the comps mentioned. Experiment with various powder/bullet combinations. Pick whichever one seems like a good overall compromise. Load a huge pile of them and practice!

I have, have had, or tried most of the comps listed here. Yeah, they're all a little different, but not all that much.

After coming back to the sport I went with the load my gunsmith recommended, and ran that for a year. I then made a change to a lighter bullet and slower powder for a year. After a grand total of two loads, I made Master. I tested a lot of other powders, bullets, etc during that time, but never saw enough reason to change. In fact, some of the testing was in case I couldn't get the powder/bullets I prefered. Pick what seems to work, shoot it a whole bunch and you'll be way farther down the road than if you spend a bunch of time trying to find the perfect combo today. R,

Makes a lot of sense.