Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight of 9mm Trojan

johes

Larry,

Nice looking gun. Where did you find those grips? I love the look of them.

Also mine (STI Trojan) weighs 42.5 ozs with Ed Brown mag well, EGW titanium FLGR, a STI ambi safety and an empty Wilson ETM mag.

Jim

Edited by Helimech

We had a 70 year old lady that they wouldn't let shoot her Trojan at this years state IDPA match because it was over weight. I don't know exactly what she was running for grips or, a magwell, but, I know the magwell was steel, and it wasn't big. <_<

She ended up shooting her daughter's Trojan that only has a single-sided safety, and some kind of plastic magwell.

If a stock 9mm with no "race" parts won't make weight in ESP, maybe HQ should look at adding an extra ounce to ESP like they did in CDP. Full length guide rods(steel), steel magwells, and G10 or aluminum grips are not "race" parts and shouldn't need to be removed to make weight. Not rule bashing, just a suggestion.

Joe

Edited by johes

I understand that. I just wish we had just a little bit more cushion so we didn't have to "make" a basically stock gun make weight. Not a big deal. Based on the weights you guys gave me, I should be okay. I may remove the FLGR if mine's close and put the VZ grips on a 45.

Joe A23563

I understand that. I just wish we had just a little bit more cushion so we didn't have to "make" a basically stock gun make weight. Not a big deal. Based on the weights you guys gave me, I should be okay. I may remove the FLGR if mine's close and put the VZ grips on a 45.

Joe A23563

You can still make weight with a FLGR and G-10 grips. Us a aluminum FLGR from Briley. Another big savings is to use the Techwell system with G10 grips and a plastic MSH. That save quite a bit right there.

Most stock guns that don't come with a magwell and wood grips I would think would make weight as they are. Its when we add heavy grips and magwells, mags with basepads, that pushes them over.

If a stock 9mm with no "race" parts won't make weight in ESP, maybe HQ should look at adding an extra ounce to ESP like they did in CDP. Full length guide rods(steel), steel magwells, and G10 or aluminum grips are not "race" parts and shouldn't need to be removed to make weight. Not rule bashing, just a suggestion.

Joe

+100. I'm not a fan of any of the rules that have us changing stock guns in order to make weight.

It sucks that asking for "rule improvement" always gets taken as "rule bashing".

Edited by ck1

• 2 months later...

Joe

I'd back you up on this 100%!

• 3 weeks later...

Big problem. I just weighed my 9mm Trojan. 43.3 ounces with empty Tripp Cobra mag and S&A magwell. Magwell has to go. Bummer. Now what?

I ordered the Wilson Combat Speed Chute slip on thingy. I'll see if I can fit it to my satisfaction. If It works I'll be golden, but if it doesn't, I'm going to have to find a lighter mainspring housing/magwell combination.

I'd also like to add, I have a check weight which measaured properly on two digital scales, so I'm pretty sure the scale isn't to blame.

Edited by whatsupglock

Big problem. I just weighed my 9mm Trojan. 43.3 ounces with empty Tripp Cobra mag and S&A magwell. Magwell has to go. Bummer. Now what?

I ordered the Wilson Combat Speed Chute slip on thingy. I'll see if I can fit it to my satisfaction. If It works I'll be golden, but if it doesn't, I'm going to have to find a lighter mainspring housing/magwell combination.

I'd also like to add, I have a check weight which measaured properly on two digital scales, so I'm pretty sure the scale isn't to blame.

Smith and Alexander also makes an aluminum magwell/MSH it weighs just 0.7 oz. That's anywhere from 1.3-2.0 oz less than a steel msh/magwell set up. The aluminum does not hold up near as well as a steel msh/magwell, but I've been using one every weekend for the past year, and had no problems. If it continues to hold up as it has it will easily last me through this year as well.

FWIW, mine makes it (just barely) at 42.9ozs with the slimline S&A magwell and thin smooth Alumagrips covered in skateboard tape, FLGR in. The opening on the slim S&A is the same as the standard one, so if that's your preference it is a little lighter and will still look ok with standard grips, also, S&A makes aluminum versions of their magwells which are a lot lighter that you can get if you order from them.

If none of those options work, Shooters Connection's deal with the Enos discount on a Techwell set-up is the best I've seen and you'll be a couple ounces under easy if you go that route.

I had to remove the FLGR from my factory stock Springfield TRP in order to make weight with Wilson ETM 8 round mags.

When I added Monkey Grips, a Wilson magwell, checkered front strap and 10 round Wilson ETM mags to my RIA 9mm Tactical I had to lose the FLGR because I was 1 oz over weight with the changes. The G10 grips and Wilson magwell and mags were worth the minimal expense of switching to a GI style recoil spring setup. I am not a big fan of full length rods anyway.

I agree the weight rule should be waived for fully stock production guns if they are on the approved list.

BTW - I checked the weight of each gun with a calibrated scale to insure accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine weighs 41.2 oz with Techwell and G10 grips, Metalform mag with bumper, full lenght guide rod and all the stock parts.

Is this with the SP, XT, Carry, or the TGO Techwell (and on a Trojan 9mm)?

And, do you mean the Techwell/Mil-Tac G10's they offer for them, or did you just mod some other one's?

Going to be changing out my slim grips and slim S&A for standard grip/magwell and this seems to be the best way to go, trying to decide which model to go with... TIA.