Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skipping a Texas star penalty?

Fair enough, didn't look at the dates but my point is still the same. I've seen more than one post in the last 6 months asking the best way to take penalties and not shoot omething to maximize their score ... Just makes no sense ...

The only time i've ever seen people skip a target on purpose was at the Fl Open last year where there was a stage with 3 poppers and 2 disappearing swingers activated by stomp plates. Except for the GMs in the field everyone was just shooting the 3 poppers as fast as they could to max their HF and ignoring the other 2 since the pts were not worth the time to run to each activator ...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, didn't look at the dates but my point is still the same. I've seen more than one post in the last 6 months asking the best way to take penalties and not shoot omething to maximize their score ... Just makes no sense ...

The only time i've ever seen people skip a target on purpose was at the Fl Open last year where there was a stage with 3 poppers and 2 disappearing swingers activated by stomp plates. Except for the GMs in the field everyone was just shooting the 3 poppers as fast as they could to max their HF and ignoring the other 2 since the pts were not worth the time to run to each activator ...

Not clear what you mean by this, if you don't activate them you get the miss penalties.

Rule-

9.9.3 Moving scoring targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism which initiates

the target movement.

• 3 weeks later...

A long absent GM showed up for a club match. Our range is the only range in the area and he said he had not shot a match in years or since the last he attended at our range. Texas Star was part of the first COF and he asked what it was as he had never seen it before. We explained but I guess neglected to mention that most shoot from top down.

I don't recall if he was the first shooter and we all groaned when he started at the bottom. It did not matter as the GM cleaned it in 5 FAST shots before it had a chance to spin.

Not for nothing.... but there are very few instances where skipping a target and taking the penalty's associated are worth it, with that said...

I see a lot of disappearing targets that I don't shoot at. Especially ones with No Shoots. 5 hit factor, 10 points = 2 seconds, 10 HF 10 points = 1 second. For me to index to a target and take two shots is at least .7 of a second. So on a 10 HF stage it's not worth it. On a 5 HF it may be worth it.

Not clear what you mean by this, if you don't activate them you get the miss penalties.

Rule-

9.9.3 Moving scoring targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism which initiates

the target movement.

Everyone activated them, after they fired their last shot they nonchalantly walked ov to the stomp plate and activated it .. No penalty ...

I hate disappearing targets for that reason. We typically try to leave at least enough to technically make it non-disappearing, but that is not always easy for drop-turners

Really good stage setup with disappearing targets can be very cool. At the local match the guy gets it. He tends to give you a reason to shoot them. He uses them on low HF stages and gives you other stuff to shoot so you are not waiting on the target. I shoot at least 80% of his disappearing targets.

If you set them up so the upper A or half the lower A is open when they are finished that can be an issue as well. Lots of us will just shoot it before it is activated. The best ones of those I see have the target available from a different shooting position at rest than where you activate it. Especially a shooting position you only have the partial target available from.

I hate disappearing targets for that reason. We typically try to leave at least enough to technically make it non-disappearing, but that is not always easy for drop-turners

Really good stage setup with disappearing targets can be very cool. At the local match the guy gets it. He tends to give you a reason to shoot them. He uses them on low HF stages and gives you other stuff to shoot so you are not waiting on the target. I shoot at least 80% of his disappearing targets.

If you set them up so the upper A or half the lower A is open when they are finished that can be an issue as well. Lots of us will just shoot it before it is activated. The best ones of those I see have the target available from a different shooting position at rest than where you activate it. Especially a shooting position you only have the partial target available from.

I would probably give you a procedural at a level 1 match if you shot it before it was activated (assuming the wsb was specific). I like the idea of a different shooting position tho, perhaps one that is out ouf the way.

I would probably give you a procedural at a level 1 match if you shot it before it was activated (assuming the wsb was specific). I like the idea of a different shooting position tho, perhaps one that is out ouf the way.

A local club has a turner that holds the target facing one way before activation and facing the other way after activation. It has been used in several stages where the scoring face was available after it turned completely, but only from a point in the COF that was a non-trival distance from the point where the turner could be activated, and where the shooter had already been in the COF or had no reason to go other than to shoot the turner. Most people liked the stages, but a few complained about the turner not being disappearing.

At Area 6 last year there was a stage with 2 swingers where the activators for them were at opposite ends so that the left activator activated the right one and vice versa. Couldn't figure out how to effectively shoot them until I noticed one of the swingers had a ton of pasters on its head. Since even I knew no one was taking head shots on a 17 yd swinger I relooked and sure enough you could see the head of that swinger from another position prior to activation .... Of course you still had to make a 17 yd head shot but ....

• 2 months later...

the star was the final target in the stage and I ran out of ammo.....with one target on the wheel. I wish I had read this forum before last Saturday.....good idea to pick a point to shoot and wait for the target to enter your sight picture.....will do next time!!!

• 2 months later...