Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Recommendations?

DyNo!

Noveske makes great stuff and they'd be my first choice but unfortunately, I can't fit them into my budget.

What is the next best thing for open/tactical optics?

I'm running a 16" 1:9 right now that is opening up to 2 MOA at 100, 4 MOA at 200, and minute of paper at 300. The barrel is about 10 years old and has been put through a lot of abuse. It works fine for the close stuff but I'm planning on shooting further next year.

Edited by DyNo!

Given the A.C.C.S. budget, let's see....

If you want to stay with a 16-inch, that's easy. DPMS, Centurion, Beaver Creek all make barrels that will out-shoot what you getting now. They retail around 150 to 200.

In an 18-inch, there's the Flaming Pig option (expensive), Sabre Defense (pretty expensive), or a Centurion. I don't know if the Centurion is a mid-length gas system though.

In 20-inch, there are tons of offerings. Just most of them are HBARs and require lathe work to get them within an acceptable weight range.

Have you tried anyone else's ammo or factory ammo, just to confirm that it is indeed the bore that is shot out. Without gaging it, it's difficult to really say.

JP's barrels are unmatched with respect to accuracy and longevity. You can definitely pay more but you won't get any more.

If you are really on a budget the DPMS Stainless 20" barrel shoots lights out and it is under $200....pretty hard to beat.

Have you tried anyone else's ammo or factory ammo, just to confirm that it is indeed the bore that is shot out. Without gaging it, it's difficult to really say.

Thanks for the advice. My reloads shoot fine in the AR-15 you built for my teammate but in this old rifle, it shoots as tightly with irons at 200 & 300 yards as it does with a 4x scope. :roflol:

I'll give it a shot though.

I'll start pinching pennies for Christmas. :cheers:

Edited by DyNo!

DyNo,

I don't know your specific applications and preferences, but for an 18", this DPMS barrel is a good value: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=431749. For 16" and 20" the DPMS/Brownells barrels are a good value (if you have the Brownells discount). All should be able to give good (.8 to 1.2 moa) performance (with their preferred ammo, free-float, etc.) I like supporting DPMS because they really support the practical shooting sports.

Lots of other good (and very good) barrels out there, but most will cost more (or a lot more) money.

Any recommendations on a 3-gun comp for a 18" White Oak/rifle length gas system? I'm in California.

I have a White Oak Armament on one of my AR's....the comp is custom made though. Comps are a pretty personal thing, what works for one shooter, isn't optimum for another.