Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 45 and 9 in Florida and need advice

Mx Central

Hi I am a newbie to reloading and will be shooting IDPA/USPSA/GSSF and bowling pins in Florida (High humidity and high temps). I am heading to the gun show this weekend and need some help.I was thinking W231 and Unique for powders. Is this a good starting point?Also can some one give me an idea about what these powders should cost for 2 - 4lbs each??I am also going to get 5k large and 5k small pistol primers. Whats a good price at a gun show?????I have read ALL the reloading posts and I think I am more confused than ever.Please help a noob out. Thanks!!I need to add I shoot Glocks with stock barrels.

Edited by Mx Central

Look into Alliants' Power Pistol powder. It will work great with both rounds. Cost about $54.00 for a 4 lb jug. Primers should run about $30 per thousand, so $150.00 per case of 5,000. For bullet heads, look into Space Coast Bullets over in Melbourne/Titusville. They have some pretty good deals on lead...

I use Clays for both my .45 ACP and 9mm reloads. It is relatively inexpensive, widely available, clean and works great in Florida. One powder also simplifies your inventory needs.

True, but I have found it smokes pretty good with bare lead.

PS. I use Clays in my 40 minor loads, and was just cleaning out some leading from my XDM tonight. I wouldn't have thought it would lead up, but it did. 3.0 grains with a 180 TCFN lead bullet. Leaded up right at the start of the lands...

I use Clays for both my .45 ACP and 9mm reloads. It is relatively inexpensive, widely available, clean and works great in Florida. One powder also simplifies your inventory needs.

PS. I use Clays in my 40 minor loads, and was just cleaning out some leading from my XDM tonight. I wouldn't have thought it would lead up, but it did. 3.0 grains with a 180 TCFN lead bullet. Leaded up right at the start of the lands...

Good point on the smoking. I only shoot JHP's now but did use FMJ's when I started. There was a bit more smoke with the FMJ's although I didn't find it objectionable. I suspect it would be even greater with non-jacketed bullets.

Especially smokey in the Florida humidity. No bueno for standing in one spot shooting pins. I'd go for a less smokey powder. Grumpy is giving petty sound advice.

You need to figure out what types and weights of bullets you'll be using and what level of power (do you care about power factors) and recoil you want and are willing to deal with...only then can you select appropriate powders.

i.e. from my own experience

Universal is great for 9mm 124gr jacketed bullets. A starting load makes minor PF easily, and is mild in recoil. Universal with 147gr, you're not likely going to make minor PF, but it's still a nice mild shooting load.

Universal in .45 with 230gr jacketed bullets is really dirty (incomplete combustion) and low powered at the low end, and really harsh recoil at the not so low end. Clays is much nicer, but barely makes major PF without exceeding max load. WST shoots about as mild as Clays with less smoke and has more room (can make major easily) before you run up against max load.

WST also works nicely for 9mm...but you'll be hard pressed to find any published load data for it in 9mm.

John, nothing wrong with ww231 for 9mm, but I've heard the N320,330 & 340

might be a little better. Also, try them with a 147 grain bullet.

Check prices at gun show, but you might get better prices from

Manny in Frostproof - he sells MG bullets and usually primers,

etc.

Jack

i use 3.3gr of hp-38 for 9mm 147gr's from BBI and 4.0gr of bullseye under a 200gr lswc. both of these loads are very accurate and shoot extremely well. the plus side is you can use either powder for both calibers.

John, nothing wrong with ww231 for 9mm, but I've heard the N320,330 & 340

might be a little better. Also, try them with a 147 grain bullet.

Check prices at gun show, but you might get better prices from

Manny in Frostproof - he sells MG bullets and usually primers,

etc.

Jack

Is this Manny you're talking about

Universal Shooting Academy

4300 C.R. 630 East

Frostproof, Florida 33843 USA

Do you know if bullets can be picked up there (perhaps at some savings)? I'm close enough that I could occasionally drive there.

What do I shoot? I don't currently do much competition shooting other than the yearly GSSF match at CFRPC and bowling pins at the Leesburg Gun Shop range when I can get up there. I do my regular target practice at EGC up in Tavares. I tried USPSA at CFRPC a few months ago, but the stage setups they did were just a little too elaborate for me. Lots of running around, lots of targets that could only be seen from certain points and were easily missed if you didn't map things out well during your walkthrough.

What/where do you normally shoot...and where are you shooting pins?

i can't disagree with your decision on 231. it's a pretty fast powder for both calibers and should you should be able to make loads without a ton of felt recoil. my most recent loads is 231 with 147 grain zeros. i've been shooting 115's and 124's for a while and just started with 147's. they are definately more pushy while the lighter two are more snappy. im using 4.2 grains of 231 for 9mm and havn't loaded any for 45 yet. i believe i purchased the pound for 17 dollars at cabelas (spoiled i know). havn't loaded any for 45 yet but i'm sure i wouldn't be disappointed. n320 is unquestionably excellent but nearly twice the price. if you don't have a ton of rounds under your belt with handloads just buy a couple pounds of whatever you can get your hands on. shoot a bunch and then try a switch. it takes practice to be able to appreciate how different powder/bullet weight combinations feel. primer prices are slowly dropping (around me at least) and if you're gonna be purchasing 10k+ you can more than make up for a hazmat fee by shopping online. happy shooting.