Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the three movies are based on a trilogy of novels. The moviemakers spent a year and half in Sweden filming all three movies back-to-back. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was released here a few months ago, The Girl Who Played With Fire came out on DVD literally just a few days ago. According to Wikipedia the plan was to release the last two movies here "in 2010" - though I have to say if they're going to get The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest to us this year, they better hurry up! I get the sense it's probably being subtitled even as we speak.

One comment I have read about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is "Remember when Hollywood used to make movies like this?"

("Adult", possibly offensive, possible spoiler inserted below.)

At which point I thought, "Wow, I can't believe I missed all those classic old Hollywood movies with scenes of a multi-pierced punkette getting orally and anally raped by her parole officer." :rolleyes:

Has there ever been a Hollywood movie like TGWTDT? I can't remember ever having seen one - and I watch a LOT of movies. I am forced to the conclusion that in this country we are, overall, way too sexually repressed to produce a movie that deals with some of the topics, and has some of the scenes, in this film. As has already been mentioned by s_gorilla 45, this does not fill me with hope for the upcoming American remake either. Kind of like I loved the original French La Femme Nikita - which then got turned into (choke!) Point Of No Return with Bridget Fonda.

I've read all three of the books, listened to them again as audiobooks, then DL'd and watched all three movies. Movies are good but the level of detail and information in the books is so much better.

Too bad Stieg Larsson died. The Millennium books were originally designed as a 10 volume magnum opus. This trilogy is all that was published before his untimely death. There is a fourth novel that is virtually completed, and his long time (20+ years) girlfriend is being encouraged to finish it, although there is much legal wrangling going on over this by his family members.

If you can read/hear the books before the movie, do so, although reading after the movie will make much more sense as so much had to be removed to fit on the screen.

Edited by vluc

Add me to the +1 club. I listened to the unabridged audio books of all three (I "read" books in the truck rather than listen to the radio) and was very impressed. Some portions of the books are definitely on the dark side but Larson was a great story teller.

TGWTDT was a great movie. I have the sequal queued up on Netflix right now. I have been watching a lot of foreign films the last few years and it is mainly because I enjoy not knowing what will come next. Too often Hollywood follows some formula or other and you just KNOW what is going to happen. It is nice being surprised.

-ld

Finished book 1, currently reading #2. gonna put it in my Netflix que. I wonder how much will be missing from book to movie

semi- spoiler below

A good bit of the background information and some scenes changed for whatever reason.

Edited by vluc

Oooooh, what a spoiler. I feel so....cheated. :(

LOL! I just wanted to try that spoiler thing...

But some people get upset at the mere hint of anything, so better safe than sorry. Wait until you read book three and watch the movie.

Edited by vluc

Read the books months ago. Used Netflix to watch the movies-- 1 and 2. Can not wait until the third movie comes out.

Too bad they are going to make an American version of it.

Remakes seem to be all that Hollywood can put out now.

Read the books months ago. Used Netflix to watch the movies-- 1 and 2. Can not wait until the third movie comes out.

Any idea when the english version will be out?

Any idea when the english version will be out?

Probably just after the "reality show." Man, I hate our media. Read the books, and I'm enjoying the movies thus far. Just to be sure I got the good stuff, I bought all three books in the UK.

Mac

BTW, picked up The Girl Who Played With Fire at the video store last night, gonna watch it later on tonight. Then after that, how I can I resist going to see The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest on-screen at my local art house - at which it is, in fact, currently playing. :)