Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

no slide racker?

Aldrin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Open guns no Slide Racker. Un-necessary weight on the slide, a nuisance in the winter when it hangs on your clothing. A pain in the rear when it falls off and when you have to take it off to clean the gun. Useless as tits on a Boar Hog.

Wouldn't have one without it... all it takes is one bad round and you are screwed. I prefer not to get too anal about ammo unless it's a major. Also, it makes a very nice kickstand and for unloaded starts it's much faster. ;)

JT

Edited by JThompson

It seems to me that the people that dont like them, most have not tried them. I have a "sidemore" and I can hardly grab the slide without the racker, people have said "why do you have a racker?" then I rack the slide and the just say "O". It is the only thing with an open gun I can do fast :) but that is a different thread.

B

I can't imagine running an Open gun without one. It makes table starts WAY easier, can be done with a ball detent so they pop right off, but only when you want them to, and they really help for unloaded starts or if you have a malfunction. When you have an unloaded start where you're moving, they seem to help even more...a much bigger target to hit with nearly any finger. This year we had three unloaded starts at Nationals...this one is also adds a box for the gun...much easier to pick it up and get it loaded with a slide racker:

Edited by G-ManBart

I hate it, 15 grams more weight on the slide. You have to use some time with mill to take that much weight off from less than 10oz 5" slide... It also limits my grip. It is also the only part I need a tool to disassembly my Opengun (Dawson toolless guide rod).

I think however, it has more pros than cons. For me 0,2 seconds faster table start with slide racker is alot. And anyway it is nice when you have several chamber empty starts in the match, like Nationals 2010.

I hate it, 15 grams more weight on the slide. You have to use some time with mill to take that much weight off from less than 10oz 5" slide... It also limits my grip. It is also the only part I need a tool to disassembly my Opengun (Dawson toolless guide rod).

I think however, it has more pros than cons. For me 0,2 seconds faster table start with slide racker is alot. And anyway it is nice when you have several chamber empty starts in the match, like Nationals 2010.

Mine is about 8.25 g

JT

It seems to me that the people that dont like them, most have not tried them. I have a "sidemore" and I can hardly grab the slide without the racker, people have said "why do you have a racker?" then I rack the slide and the just say "O". It is the only thing with an open gun I can do fast :) but that is a different thread.

B

All of mine are sidemores but Quinn I not the Quinn II which puts the C-more too far back to allow you to grab the slide. The sidemore also is a natural kickstand so you don't need a stick for that. If you have those goofey safeties with the slide protectors well then again you have blocked yourself.

For those that can't imagine life without one, forget Limited, Production, and Single Stack, gosh I wonder do you have one on the carry gun.

I'm not anal about my ammo I'M ISO 9002, if its not perfect it goes in the practice bucket, even with a slide racker if you get a jam your stage is toast, maybe not blackened toast but none the less its cooked.

Heck it wasn't the unloaded starts that got me at nationals it was the unloading it on no-shoots.

If you must have one to seal the deal on being a Big Dawg Daddy get one with a detent ball, nothing more annonying than the thing coming off in the middle of the stage, or stripping the screw, puttin it on bassackwards so you don't have to take it off to get the slide off etc.

Have I tried them, yes, and I still own 4 or 5 or them, they are around here somewhere maybe I make a necklace.

Mine is about 8.25 g

JT

Just weighed mine and it comes in at 6.9 grams, but that's because it's made of Titanium. No really allot of added weight, because the dovetail cutout for the slide racker amounted to at least that much weight.

I don't know any in the Top 20 at Nationals that DONT use one. Unloaded starts are becoming more and more popular, and the time saved is enormous.

usedto run em back in the day, butthen again all we had was old school which was somehow utilizing a set screw of some sort, and a usually a royal pain to get off, then i got a case roller for the brass bulge and have never looked back, mine are racker-less, one does have a arredondo'pedal' attached to the c-more, and to be honest, ive gotten so used to tipping up the gun in my hand on a flat table start, the pedal doesnt really accomplish anything, like anything else in this sport its probably mental more than anything else, least for me

Edited by calishootr

For those that can't imagine life without one, forget Limited, Production, and Single Stack, gosh I wonder do you have one on the carry gun.

I'm not anal about my ammo I'M ISO 9002, if its not perfect it goes in the practice bucket, even with a slide racker if you get a jam your stage is toast, maybe not blackened toast but none the less its cooked.

Hmmm...I haven't seen a scope in the way on my Limited, Production or Single Stack guns, so I don't see how that applies.

It really depends on the stage. If it's a 20 second stage, the extra time to rack the slide is going to hurt some, but not like on a 6s stage....either way, it's still going to hurt, but it will hurt LESS with the racker saving you some time.

Edited by G-ManBart

I run one without a racker. I have an old Hiett Technology C-More mount that I have to rack the slide from the front underneath the dustcover. If I were to have a gun built today I would have a racker installed. The only thing that may be a plus with my mount is that I rack it back, let go and go right into my grip instantly.

One on every Open gun's.....much faster on the empty start.....and one never know, I had 150% running gun puke for no good reason of course that only happen at a major match, the slide racker save the day.