Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold vs Rainier

Mr Freeze

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are Zero so hard to come bye? Are they the Crem de la crem of bullets? where can I find MG in bulk for a reasonal price?

I was told that Zero won a large contract with Fiocchi, and that's about the time they became hard to get. They're good, but it depends on your gun whether they're any better than anything else. I only shot the 125gr JHPs in my Open guns, but switched to MG 121gr IFP and then 115gr JHPs and the accuracy is as good, or better. My M&P has shown a preference for the Zero 147gr JHP, but the MG 147gr CMJ isn't far behind....no enough to really matter for what we do.

MG direct has good prices, but if you contact Manny Bragg, you can get slightly better prices (biggest discount is 6 cases at a time). The website says 6 cases, but you can e-mail or call and order less.

http://www.mannyusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&Store_Code=MU&Search=bullets

Edited by G-ManBart

@ GMBart, thanks for the link, few questions in regards to Dannyusa web store how long does it take for delivery? What is the difference between compleate jacketed(cmj) and full metal jacketed(fmj) and what can you expect from the two shooting say competition wise or self deffence? (not sure if im asing this correctly!) and it says for a .40cal 180gr bullets 2,500 a case for $291.00 is that the 6 boxes or is that in cases? also in you exsperiance can a 200gr bullet be used in competition or will the weight give problems with accuacy? exscuse my ignorance just curious!!

@ GMBart, thanks for the link, few questions in regards to Dannyusa (It's mannyusa.com)web store how long does it take for delivery? Very fast service.What is the difference between compleate jacketed(cmj) and full metal jacketed(fmj) FMJ has an exposed lead base while the CMJ covers the lead base with a gas checkand what can you expect from the two shooting say competition wise or self deffence? Competition- excellent choice either way, the CMJ will smoke just a tiny bit other than that they are the same bullet. Self Defense- Terrible choice. They are just ball ammo. Even an MG hollow point is a poor performing bullet as far as self defense.(not sure if im asing this correctly!) and it says for a .40cal 180gr bullets 2,500 a case for $291.00 is that the 6 boxes or is that in cases? That is the case price. If I recall the price per case is the same with 6 cases or one case but you pay shipping on anything less than 6 cases?also in you exsperiance can a 200gr bullet be used in competition or will the weight give problems with accuacy? exscuse my ignorance just curious!!

I'm not Gman thank goodness!:sight:

@ GMBart, thanks for the link, few questions in regards to Dannyusa web store how long does it take for delivery? What is the difference between compleate jacketed(cmj) and full metal jacketed(fmj) and what can you expect from the two shooting say competition wise or self deffence? (not sure if im asing this correctly!) and it says for a .40cal 180gr bullets 2,500 a case for $291.00 is that the 6 boxes or is that in cases? also in you exsperiance can a 200gr bullet be used in competition or will the weight give problems with accuacy? exscuse my ignorance just curious!!

Marki, you really, really don't want to load ANY self defense rounds. You are asking for serious trouble if and when they get used for that purpose. For self defense, stick with commercial rounds. Look into CorBon's, Hornady, Speer, etc, for your self defense needs or wants.

You're more than welcome. I get MG's in three or four days. The last time I ordered first thing on Friday morning, they got here on Monday.

The CMJ's look like the FMJ, but they have a little disc of copper that covers the base of the bullet. For competition purposes, the one thing in favor of CMJs is that they give off less smoke, and for Open guns, they don't fill the comp with lead.

I would never use reloaded ammunition for self-defense, for a number of reasons. That really isn't the focus here, and self-defense topics aren't forbidden, but discouraged. If you'd like to chat about it, PM me and I'll give you my personal reasons, and I'm sure others would do the same with opposing positions.

There are a number of folks using 200gr bullets in .40 with no accuracy problems that I'm aware of. I guess if you loaded them to Minor it might be possible to run into a lack of stabilization, but short of that, I can't see a problem. Going off what people talk about here, 180gr is the overwhelming favorite for .40 Major in anything that doesn't have a compensator.

The way the pricing works for MGs, the $291 is for one big box of 2,500 bullets. If you order through the website, it makes you order six of those. If you call or e-mail Manny directly, you can order just one case at a time if you want. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Exscuse my last post,the part that was asked a silly question(embarassing)! In no way do I intend to be or ask disrespectful or ignorant questions, so for that I apologize. I was just under the impression & misunderstanding to practice with what I shoot, and as I read on I still got a loooong way to go!!! Thanks again bart! and @ sarge oops ment mannyUSA, LOL... Dogh! @ Grump-olah, will look into the ammo u mention!

I've been shooting 124gr FMJ Zero's, but I recently bought 1K of the MG CMJ's from a friend to try them out. I've since heard that the coating that gives them their gold color is harder than a standard copper jacket, and that this leads to slightly slower velocities with the same charge weight and more wear on the barrel. Does anyone have any experience with this?

JAFO, it is well documented that it takes .1 or so more powder to get an MG bullet up to speed. Barrel wear issues are false. The jacket may be harder but from what I have measured I think some of the velocity issue is due to the bullets being a tad undersized. The MG .355 bullets I have measured come out to around .3545 typically.

Whatever right? They are slower and don't hurt the barrels.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Sarge. I had heard the "more powder required" statement from more than one person, but was unsure about the wear issue since so many people seem to use them.

I'm using 124gr JHP in my .38 super open gun and 9mm production. 1+ for production self defense loads.

Follow Up: I ordered a box from MG this week. Sure enough, NO RESIDENTIAL SURCHARGE.

My local toy store started stocking Berry's 147gr 9mm at $97/1000. I'm sticking with MG but it's good to have easily accessible options.

Are you saying they didn't actually charge the residential surcharge for shipping to your home? I've been having them ship to me at work to avoid it.

One thing not mentioned is plated bullets are messy-er to reload. They can get little shavings in your press if you don't put much flair on the case mouth. MGs being jacketed don't put little metal shavings all over my reloading bench. I don't think (at least I can't remember) the residential charge from Montana Gold.

I just received 1 case (3,000 bullets) of MG 147gr CMJ's from MANNYUSA. The price was $280 delivered. The poor mail man pulled a groin putting them on my front porch! :D

Where did you buy from?

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/category/Bullets.html

You'll have to call Manny for individual case orders (or anything less than 6 cases). R,

I have only used Rainer in the past but am thinking about switching to Black Bullets so I can get more for my doller and therefore get more practice in. Never really had too many problems with Rainer but then again I haven't used anything else to compare them to.

• 3 weeks later...

If you buy in bulk, check out Mannyusa.com he has the best prices I've seen on Montana Gold bullets.

If you can put together a 6 case order with some friends, Manny is the only way to go. About $25.00/case cheaper. The cases do not have to be the same bullets and the last time I ordered from him they were shipped directly to my house. Great deal and great guy to deal with.

Pat

Edited by Downrange58

I just received 1 case (3,000 bullets) of MG 147gr CMJ's from MANNYUSA. The price was $280 delivered. The poor mail man pulled a groin putting them on my front porch! :D

Where did you buy from?

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/category/Bullets.html

You'll have to call Manny for individual case orders (or anything less than 6 cases). R,

Are all of the bullets listed on the mannyusa.com page made by Montana Gold? Thanks!

Are all of the bullets listed on the mannyusa.com page made by Montana Gold? Thanks!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all of those are MG bullets. Certainly all the gold ones are. They've had a couple of varieties that were copper-colored, but have been slowly changing those over from what I can tell. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all of those are MG bullets. Certainly all the gold ones are. They've had a couple of varieties that were copper-colored, but have been slowly changing those over from what I can tell. R,

Thank you very much for the answer! Kent