Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My youngest son's first match

shooter_rob

This is the video of my 11 year old son shooting our local match with his .22 1911 conversion gun. Of course he had plenty of coaching from both dad and Mr. Paul. I am not sure who had more fun, him shooting, or me watching. I hope he gets as much enjoyment out of the sport as I have.

Wow! Todd, I was completely impressed with your safe and skilled handling of the gun at all times!

Equally impressive was the fact that you clearly had a plan for each stage and worked your plans.

I look forward to seeing more video of your progress, as I'm sure it will be fast and impressive.

Awesome, love it! I can remember taking my son to his first match at 11. Now he is a Grand Master in Open and finished 26th overall at the 2010 USPSA Nationals. Start them young and you never know what will happen.

Lee

Nice job Dad!! I'd venture to say that your son shot the match more smoothly / safely than the majority first-time adult shooters I've seen over the years. This may have been his first match, but it's obvious that you've taught him all the basics exceptionally well. Well done!

well done dad! its awesome to see someont that young get involved ( and do a really good job!!!) he was very safe and as posted above, seemed to have a plan and knew where he wanted to and what to shoot when! :cheers:

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. He is a true competitor through and through. No matter what he is doing he gives 100%. He is only limited by the size of his hands right now. I plan on him shooting the .22 for a while then moving him up to a 9MM. The 1911 platform fits his small hands better than any other I can find right now. I have to admit I had a blast watching him. He listened very well to me and PV and took his time. He has watched this video a thousand times and is even good at picking out ways to improve and cut times. I believe I am looking forward to the next match more than he is. Can you tell I am a proud dad??

Rob is right! It was GREAT having Todd shoot with us. He is quite the competitor and had good questions about stage breakdown when Rob and I gave him advice. He didn't just take what we said as gold... He wanted to know the "whys", not just the how. He has been attending matches as our "Video man" for a few months when he was available. He was always quite attentive to what Rob, I, and others were doing in the stages. He will be a force to be reconed with, when he is able to shoot a standard caliber gun.

I'm just as proud of Todd as anyone. He is wearing a belt I wore, many pounds ago, and it still had to be cut down to fit his tiny waist. I will be glad to help him and his older brother in any fashion, I can, in their shooting.

I was fortunate enough to be adopted into the Jessee family by Sis (Todd's mom) recently.

Edited by pvhendrix

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of potential there. Might need to work on opening windows though. Freeze at around the :22 mark, not good. Not trying to be a kill joy, but it is what it is, and it's best to NOT develop bad habits. Best of luck and have fun.