Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals cost?

Bigpops

In order to plan better for next year (yes we blew it this year) I was curious if anyone has a financial breakdown of the cost to attend the Nationals? Mama and I plan on going next year and a cost estimate would be nice.

Feel free to PM me if you wish to keep it private...or to avoid letting a spouse know the actual cost! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Steve

How nice of a hotel? Where do you like to eat?

Flying or driving? What kind of mileage do you get? (Rental car when you get there? Splitting it with others?)

Spending any money in the vendor tent?

You should be able to add this up based on your personal data.

+ Travel out and back.

+ Hotel nights

+ Travel from hotel to range and back, daily

+ Meals

+ Buying anything you forgot (Walmart?)

+ Match fee

+ Ammo

+ ? (whatever I forgot?)

When I went last year, I simply used Expedia. The cost for 12 days was about $1200 dollars for two people (including car rental, hotel, round trip plane ride). I'm sure the cost will be different depending on what airport you use and just how long you stay. We pretty much ate a buffet for the majority of the days excluding once or twice we stopped by a more expensive restaurant for dinner. You have to consider whether you are going to a lot of shows or the amount of gambling that you will participate in. Overall I used about $3200 dollars total trip to include traveling, shows, food, gambling, and entry fees for OPN and LIM-10. Of course we went to shows every night and usually gambled the night away so depending on what your interests are, it might be more or less. :cheers:

How nice of a hotel? Where do you like to eat?

Flying or driving? What kind of mileage do you get? (Rental car when you get there? Splitting it with others?)

Spending any money in the vendor tent?

You should be able to add this up based on your personal data.

+ Travel out and back.

+ Hotel nights

+ Travel from hotel to range and back, daily

+ Meals

+ Buying anything you forgot (Walmart?)

+ Match fee

+ Ammo

+ ? (whatever I forgot?)

That's why I asked what others paid in hopes of NOT making this too complicated. I did not want to make this a book of what we wanted and have someone compare to us. For instance, we will be flying from Maryland, not to many from here attended so I am trying to ballpark it.

I tried to find the match fee costs but no luck.

Thanks for the info though

Edited by Bigpops

When I went last year, I simply used Expedia. The cost for 12 days was about $1200 dollars for two people (including car rental, hotel, round trip plane ride). I'm sure the cost will be different depending on what airport you use and just how long you stay. We pretty much ate a buffet for the majority of the days excluding once or twice we stopped by a more expensive restaurant for dinner. You have to consider whether you are going to a lot of shows or the amount of gambling that you will participate in. Overall I used about $3200 dollars total trip to include traveling, shows, food, gambling, and entry fees for OPN and LIM-10. Of course we went to shows every night and usually gambled the night away so depending on what your interests are, it might be more or less. :cheers:

Thanks, thats about what we figured. We have family in SOCAL so that might play into the equation too.

One other quickie, did you ship ammo out? If so, how far in advance and to whom?

Sorry for the rookie questions...but this will be our first time attending the Nationals.

Simplest formula is match fee ($275) + ammo (400-600 rounds) + local transportation + travel expenses + entertainment expenses. Figure your travel and entertainment expenses according to how high on the hog you want to live while you're there and you have your number.

Thanks for the info, especially the match fee. I was having a hard time finding that.

FTR, That was the 09 match fee. I believe it was the same for 2010, but it certainly shouldn't vary by more than $50 either way from that. Close enough to budget.

Thanks. With two of us, possibly both shooting two divisions next year, it appears we will have to ship our ammo. Where do you ship to? Are there gun shops in the area that sort of cater to the USPSA shooters? Suggestions?

American Shooters has been accepting ammo, very easy to do. I shipped two different guns worth of ammo thru FedEx and UPS, both going ground. FedEx was cheaper.

I flew in on the Friday Oct 8 and left on Oct 13 and I think all total I spent $1400. I rented a car for a week rate and did not share the room. Long story short I waited too long for the car and the rate was 2x what I could have rented it for a month prior. I didn't go fancy on dinners and did not party / gamble much at all.

YMMV.

Edited by dkleskiw

Thanks, thats about what we figured. We have family in SOCAL so that might play into the equation too.

One other quickie, did you ship ammo out? If so, how far in advance and to whom?

Sorry for the rookie questions...but this will be our first time attending the Nationals.

I shipped the ammo to American Shooters around 2 weeks before I got there via UPS. I know it was over $100 bucks...not sure the exact cost though. That being said, this can be all irrelevant if the Nationals doesn't take place in Las Vegas next year.

Simplest formula is match fee ($275) + ammo (400-600 rounds) + local transportation + travel expenses + entertainment expenses. Figure your travel and entertainment expenses according to how high on the hog you want to live while you're there and you have your number.

Is that 275 per match?

I would also mention, if you are a degenerate gambler.... call the hotels and see what they can do about comps, often times you can get discounts. For instance, for this years ShotShow, I was able to get a few nights comped at the Wynn, and a discounted rate for the rest, and my buddy is paying $300 or so for a week at Harrah's.

Flight, book it early... you can get some good rates. If you are in Maryland, see about flying out from Phily. There are a bunch of PHL to LAS nonstop flights, and cheaper than any other surrounding airports.

I shipped the ammo to American Shooters around 2 weeks before I got there via UPS. I know it was over $100 bucks...not sure the exact cost though. That being said, this can be all irrelevant if the Nationals doesn't take place in Las Vegas next year.

$200???? I shipped my ammo via UPS, and it only cost me $21 to ship 600 rounds of .40 from Ohio to Vegas.

Rough estimate: 1 Nationals = $1100 2 Nationals = $2200

Thanks Chris. We were debating taking the Minnie Winnie but time is not on our side and I think it would end up costing more in the long run. Though we could pick people up on the way and make this a true road trip... :roflol:

$200???? I shipped my ammo via UPS, and it only cost me $21 to ship 600 rounds of .40 from Ohio to Vegas.

It looks like GamingGoddess is shipping all the way from Afghanistan.

Don't forget the $50 in cover charges and $15 martinis at the "ultra-lounge" that your wife will convince you will be fun to go to. :angry:

Really? <_< $50 to walk into your door. <sigh> Oh well, the wife was happy and you you know what they say. Happy wife, happy life.

Also, plan on spending some money at the many charitable organizations that help single moms and cash strapped college girls just trying to get through next semester. :devil:

Edited by sirveyr