Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tec Loader Blues

Singlestack

Don't worry Erik, I'll bring ya that "crying towel" :D

As far as you taking a beating on "that other forum", you started it! :o

I got your back as long as you don't start it.

FWIW, I like things the way they are.

BTW, congrats on the success of your 3-Gun class at SRGC. I have heard nothing but good stuff about you and your presentation. Wish I could have made it. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Has any company made a better speedloader for auto shotguns? If no why not, we would all trade in these Tec Speedloaders for ones that really work. Why use a rod in the plunger when it's the plastic tube flexing that's the problem? The PCV pipe cut to reenforce the tube, does this work?

We shooters all have to demand that the companies we buy our equipment from make the best product they can and when it seems like everyone is having the same problem, fix that problem free of charge for all that have purchased said item. I don't know one person that is not having trouble with their Tec Speedloader, some clubs will not allow them if used with rods.

DVC,

Mell

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my tec loaders on my Benelli. What causes the plunger to pop out of the tube is that you don't have the correct angle while trying to load. So you eventually force the plunger and sometimes some shells out of the tube. I fixed my problem by getting one of those Arredondo Speedloader Assists. That thing is awesome. It doesn't let you get the angle wrong. So you're always straight in the correct angle resulting in quick loads. I am now loading while running and still can not miss one load. It's consistent load after load and very quick too!. This was the bes $149 I've spent on my shotgun. After all , loading is a big part in shotgun stages on 3 gun matches. Whatch the pros on your next big 3 gun match. You'll see that the guys winning shotgun stages are the ones with consistent and fast loads. That's why Voigt and Miculek wins most of the shotgun part, They load so damn fast!

http://hobbystage.net/corvette/media.cgi?s...63320494-000085

Good Luck

Ron Filho

• 5 months later...

for 5 long years i've tried to get tec loaders to work on an 1100. seen many successful folks, but i ain't one of them. finally broke down and got an arredondo funnel...guess what...no help whatsoever.

in looking at the EZ loader, it appears that it does not go far enough down to allow for a reasonable angle for the shells to get into the mag tube. other than rounding the sharp edges, anyone got any words of wisdom on this issue? have tried 2 different receivers, and result is the same. midly embarassing, even in one's garage!

Do you have a pistol-grip stock on your 1100? I use Tecloaders with my 1100, and they work just fine, but you have to get the right motion down, and a pistol-grip doesn't let you get the rear of the loader tube down far enough to "swipe" the shells into the mag. Another thing I've found that helps is the big carrier/"easyloader" release button; with that, you don't need to consciously try to hit the release button with the tab on the end of the loader tube while you're trying to position it in the bracket. HTH.

for 5 long years i've tried to get tec loaders to work on an 1100.  seen many successful folks, but i ain't one of them.  finally broke down and got an arredondo funnel...guess what...no help whatsoever.

in looking at the EZ loader, it appears that it does not go far enough down to allow for a reasonable angle for the shells to get into the mag tube.  other than rounding the sharp edges, anyone got any words of wisdom on this issue?  have tried 2 different receivers, and result is the same.  midly embarassing, even in one's garage!

The 3 major things I have done to make the TecLoader work reliably is to install a (1)EasyLoader gate. (2) is to change the ramp angle and polish the ramp face.

(3) PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE

EasyLoader Gate

260100000.jpg

105478.jpg

105479.jpg

A few thoughts:

Try 70mm cases with a good hard crimp/taper at the end it helps in feeding.

Notch the plastic bracket so that the techloader slots into it a little and gets lower down and closer to the receiver.

Use an easyloader.

Rich

outerlimits,

My guess is that you have an un-modified 1100 without an EZ-Loader loading gate and you need to get one installed as sahauptman & ringram have suggested. An EZ-Loader makes a big difference with the Armscor TEC-Loader sticks and if your gun isn't broken in some weird way I am willing to bet adding one will fix your dilemma (along with lots of practice of course). If you already have an EZ-Loader, then your gun must be broken because these loading sticks work just like magic :P

As I have mentioned earlier (in the first thread), it's mostly the initial engagement and in following through on the stroke. Pushing the plunger right through the gate without any pussyfooting and using a real sharp stroke works best once you get the feel of it.

Again, as I mentioned in the earlier thread, try dry graphite (my favorite) sprinkled liberally in the tube and on the plunger, or use spray silicone as some others use (I think silicone attracts too much grunge when they hit the dirt as they do). Anything that helps you get the shells moving a little easier is worth doing, just be sure that you don't let the shells get space between them in the sticks by whipping them out of the holders big-time fast and loosening everything up.

--

Regards,

maybe is wasn't clear on my post...i do have an ezloader on that 1100...i took an old receiver i had that i ruined by taking too much metal off the surrounding areas of the mag tube. i put the arredondo on it and loaded over 20 straight tubes without problems...without the ezloader. only other difference was the old reciever is seriously throated around the entrance to the mag tube. guess that's the difference, as noted by sahauptman.

wish i hadn't ruined that receiver...

outerlimits,

When you load shells by hand, do they go in easily, and with enough clearance to allow for the tube tongue, if so the EasyLoader gate isn't in the way and it's probably all in opening up the mag tube mouth area enough to allow the rounds to actually get into the tube without hitting anything and getting stopped. Watch how rounds enter by hand stuffing them and then look at the way the speedloader is presenting shells when properly engaging the bracket and see if you have a mis-alignment or other obstruction that is blocking the shells progress.

Zen thought: If the path is clear, they will go :rolleyes:

--

Regards,

There is an inherent problem with Remington 1100 and 11-87 that most people that own them aren't aware of. This problem can keep you from being able to reload with your TechLoaders.

This is the scenario. Your blasting away at all them nasty poppers, not counting your rounds. You run your shotgun dry, the bolt doesn't lock open and you pull the trigger and click, nothing. ‘Shit’ I should have been counting my shots. You yank out your TecLoader and try to ram home four fresh shells. Then this is when your loader turns into a grenade and all your shells are all over the ground.

Has this happened to you? Want to know why.

First thing you need to know is that locking the bolt back after the last round fired is directly related to The velocity of the bolt, which can be related to a couple of thing. How clean your gas system is and the power of your load.

Now your wondering how this relates to reloading your gun. I'll tell you.

There is a device called the Intercepter Latch, it's connected to your trigger. It's what keeps the next round from feeding out of the mag tube before it's time.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

You pull the trigger on an empty chamber and now the Intercepter Latch is out of position and is now blocking the mag tube opening. You see, it thinks there is a round in the tube, It doesn't know, It's a gun. :lol:

Anyways

You try to speed load and the first shell hits the latch and blam-o, shells everywhere.

Moral of story boys and girls?

Can you say, don't run your guns DRY

• 4 weeks later...
Heres the scoop.

I just started shooting open and I thought I had to have a Tec loader so I bought one and mounted it to my 1187 today.

First opinion: What a piece of crap!  :angry:

What do I need to modify to make this flimsy thing work?

I can get 3 rounds out of it most of the time, never 4, and sometimes none! The pusher peels out of the tube WAY too easy.

Do I need to put some kind of dowl in the pusher thingy?

Do I need to take the DMW gate off? I really do not want to do that!

help..... :huh:

If your a USPSA member you should check out this months Front Sight magazine. It has a good article on the TecLoader.

Yep its a good article and I re read it tonight, I liked the comparisons against the limited shooters hand loading times as it gave me a bench mark to compare my hand loading skills against. I dont think the author explained that the reason the limited shooters dont take advantage of the tecloaders is that they aint allowed in limited ! It was right to compare times but I would have liked to see the times compared between open shooters using hand and tecloaders as well. If you didnt know about shotgun divisions then one would assume tecloaders are the only way forward. Still it was a well written and informative piece and I hope to see more in later issues. Bravo to the author.

I was interested in the Aquila (?) shells and I know at ESC some of the Italians were using very short bird and slug, but I was lead to believe in USPSA riles the minimum length for shotgun cartridges was 70mm - it this just USPSA and not the other 3 gun comps etc ?

Mike