Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon vs Hornady

Optimistix

After reading quite a bit on the topic during the past few days it seems as if the only real contenders for a no-nonsense, high volume and affordable progressive press are the Dillon XL650 and Hornady Lock-n-Load AP.

Can I please have your opinions and especially experiences with these two presses as they compare to one another and what would give the one the edge over the other.

These should get you a good start.. IMO, I have a Hornady and I like it. Customer service had been impeccable for what I need. I like the cheaper caliber conversions and quickness/ease of caliber conversions.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58616

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36930

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72503

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98381

BE is a good guy and sells Dillons at the best prices and service.....

Now as a user of a 650 I can tell you, buy a 650 and dont look back. With a case feeder I can load 600 match quality rounds easily, the machine is durable, the warranty and support is second to none............that is it. BE has a great book too :) .

I started with a Green press, it was slow. I then went Red and pulled all my hair out. I bought a Blue one, and then I started to build shooting skills vs worrying about my reloading. I learned my lesson, I wasted both time and $$ by not going Blue first.

If you love to shoot buy blue. If you like to tinker, maybe go Red.

I started with a Green press, it was slow. I then went Red and pulled all my hair out. I bought a Blue one, and then I started to build shooting skills vs worrying about my reloading. I learned my lesson, I wasted both time and $$ by not going Blue first.

If you love to shoot buy blue. If you like to tinker, maybe go Red.

which "red" did you buy ?

I have a Hornady Lock-n-load, and have had great results.

Changing out the dies is a snap (as long as you have the bushings used.)

The one thing that I have noticed is the ram seems to wear pretty fast.

I know it's not dirt, as I keep my equipment clean.

I have Hornady dies and some RCBS dies also.

In my experience you get what you pay for.

Dillon = High Quality.

I tried a friends Dillon square deal, and really liked it.

My next purchase will be a Dillon.

Not to mention they also make the M 134 Gatteling Gun, AKA The Mini Gun.

http://www.dillonaero.com/

Plus You just gotta support Arizona. B)

Edited by Metalchemist

My 550B is the shhhizzzznitz!! As was posted earlyer our host sell's Dillonand I guess that makes me a supporter! maybe in time I will upgrade it is pointless to pop red pills just cause they give you free bullets cause I will just load em and shootem in seconds! so ill stick with a more classier Dillon press anything less will be uncivilized! lol....

When I first got into USPSA style shooting I bought a Hornady LNL auto progressive press. It worked well. During one of my early matches, I had a round that didn't sound right. Ended up with a stove pipe jam. I cleared the jam and let the next one go and blew up the gun. This was a Limited class gun built around a SV frame and slide. I had to have the Barrel and Slide replaced to the tune of $600.

It took me a while to figure out what happened. The LNL powder measure had a very small burr on the bore. This caused an incomplete charge of powder to be dropped into the case. The power charge wasn't enough to get the bullet to leave the barrel.

Shortly after that experience, I bought a Dillon 650 with the power level check. I've been pleased with the 650. Haven't had a squib or short charge since.

When I first got into USPSA style shooting I bought a Hornady LNL auto progressive press. It worked well. During one of my early matches, I had a round that didn't sound right. Ended up with a stove pipe jam. I cleared the jam and let the next one go and blew up the gun. This was a Limited class gun built around a SV frame and slide. I had to have the Barrel and Slide replaced to the tune of $600.

It took me a while to figure out what happened. The LNL powder measure had a very small burr on the bore. This caused an incomplete charge of powder to be dropped into the case. The power charge wasn't enough to get the bullet to leave the barrel.

Shortly after that experience, I bought a Dillon 650 with the power level check. I've been pleased with the 650. Haven't had a squib or short charge since.

Just wondering, is your current run of squib free ammo a result of the powder check or the powder measure? Be honest.

Lots of people experience powder drop problems with Dillons too. You might have had the same string of squib free ammo if you had just added a powder cop to the LNL.

Oh, as a side note: Just Don't Sound Right + stovepipe = stop

Dillon. When they say they have a no B.S. warranty they mean it. Damndest thing, a company actually says and does what it advertises. Go figure :cheers:

Edited to add:

I've got a 650 and my friend has a 550. He can spit out ammo almost as fast with the same quality. How much are you going to shoot? If I had a do-over, I might be tempted to get the 550 and save a little up front $$. Plus, I think it might be a little easier/cheaper to switch calibers on the 550. With that said, I really love the 650.

I have a Grasshopper mower. I have a Grasshopper because I HATE to mow. I'm mowing about 2 acres, I'm not on it long.

Same with my 650, I can wait till the morning of the match and make a couple hundred rounds faster than you can drink a steaming cup of coffee or two. I just love that efficiency.

Edited by fourtrax

I have both, and my Hornady has been sitting in a box for 5 years. It would never stay adjusted. A major part of it broke, and I had to pay to replace it (I've heard they have updated their warranty to "keep up" with dillon.) When I did call to order the parts that broke, the rep was a total ass. I stuck that thing in a box, and to be honest, I haven't sold it because I am ashamed to pass those headaches along to a fellow shooter. My blue press (650) has cranked out 1000s of trouble free rounds. Any problem I've had (they have been very minor) Dillon has fixed very pronto. They sent me an alignment tool for free to make sure every thing was straight. You just can't get better service than Dillon. Sorry, but there will never be another reloader in my shop. One more thing--Hornady doesn't send me a catalog with beautiful girls on the cover every month either...Whoo Hooo!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had or used every Dillon press , 450, 550, 650 and used a 1050. BE has a page her that suggests which Dillon to buy depending on what you shoot.

If you are thinking about a 550 and don't shoot a wide range of rifle calibers, the 550 is a good press. The 650 offers a better growth path and still has the lifetime warranty.

One of my friends has the Hornady and really likes it but after he tried my 650 he said he wished he had tried my 650 first.

I have had excellent service from Hornady and GREAT service from Dillon...

I have a Hornady Lock-n-load, and have had great results.

Changing out the dies is a snap (as long as you have the bushings used.)

The one thing that I have noticed is the ram seems to wear pretty fast.

I know it's not dirt, as I keep my equipment clean.

How did you wear out the ram????

I like my LNL- it has some quirks but it's good machine and value for sure. I have nothing to say about Dillon other than the people I know that have them like them- they aren't perfect either they they have a solid reputation... and it would be good to support BE- they are awesome.

The only problem I have with my Hornady LNL is is that it is prone to surface rust. It's mounted up in the garage, and while my old Lee presses sat out there forever without any corrosion anywhere, the LNL shell plates and the bits & pieces of the powder measure are particularly tricky to keep up with. You can't really oil them up, because powder will stick all over them. On the other hand, you can't let them rust... So I'm devising a plan to store them in some old ammo boxes with silica gel, but it's a hassle either way. If my wife would let me keep it in the living room, I'd have zero issues with the press. It WORKS great. I am especially fond of the way you an swap out dies so quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never tried the Hornady so can't say about it. I do have an old Dillon 550 I bought years ago. I've had issues with it over those years. Every time something has come up and I've talked to Dillon about it they have suggested ways to cure the problem. If that doesn't work a replacement part is on the way shortly to fix the problem. Their no BS warrenty is just that. No BS. Their prodocts are good and they stand behind what they sell. If I ever upgrade to another loader it will be one of theirs. Gabe

The only problem I have with my Hornady LNL is is that it is prone to surface rust. It's mounted up in the garage, and while my old Lee presses sat out there forever without any corrosion anywhere, the LNL shell plates and the bits & pieces of the powder measure are particularly tricky to keep up with. You can't really oil them up, because powder will stick all over them. On the other hand, you can't let them rust... So I'm devising a plan to store them in some old ammo boxes with silica gel, but it's a hassle either way. If my wife would let me keep it in the living room, I'd have zero issues with the press. It WORKS great. I am especially fond of the way you an swap out dies so quickly.

I have mine in a spare bedroom, and it hasnt been spared any rust..