Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

prescription shooting glasses...........

fastarget

Went to the eye doc, now I can see my front sight but need good durable prescription shooting glasses..........(offcourse will get a matching non RX for the wife:).

A fellow shooter is using ESS glasses, and said they offer prescription inserts, mostly see hy-wyd and Ranger at the trap club.

What is a good durable set, that is pistol shooting oriented, and what are your favorite lens colors.

Edited by fastarget

Do a search on the forum-And most

I shoot with are using Rudy's. I

have a RX from them in racing red,

however I also have the insert- so

I can use all the other colors that

my Raydon's came with. Best of luck!

Thank you for the info, I did a search, still looking at pages and pages on glasses but not necessarely Rx oriented. The last good discussion was may 09 on the subject, I am going through the Rudy site as we speak, thought it would be nice to bring it up to date and see who out-there has inserts, how well they are holding up since there is considerable cost in quality frames and lenses, the rx inserts are also costly.

Edited by fastarget

I use a pair of Rudys with prescription inserts. This gives me the ability to change the outer lenses for color and the Rudy's have a serious lockup between the frame and the insert. The only issue I have experienced is my eyelashes touching the insert on occasion.

Plus, Rudy supports the shooting sports with significant discounts through their e-Rudy website. Most of those discounts are regularly posted on this forum.

I use a pair of Rudys with prescription inserts. This gives me the ability to change the outer lenses for color and the Rudy's have a serious lockup between the frame and the insert. The only issue I have experienced is my eyelashes touching the insert on occasion.

Plus, Rudy supports the shooting sports with significant discounts through their e-Rudy website. Most of those discounts are regularly posted on this forum.

+1 to this. I like my Rudy Project glasses with the Rx insert.

I know all the cool kids are wearing the Rudys these days, but I primarily shoot in hot and humid conditions, and I could not get an insert to work for me without major fogging problems. I went to the Decot Hy/Wyd (single lens RX - no insert), and I've shot in conditions ranging from desert to swamp with no fogging problem The lenses are interchangeable, so you can get a couple of different colors if you want, I'm sold on them.

i use prescription glasses and i have rudy's and wiley x, the rudys are nice but expensive i have the insert so i can use multiple lenses they cost around 240 for just the insert plus the cost of the glasses, the wiley's cost 80 for the whole glasses since then i bought a clear and shaded set of glasses, i use the rudy's for shooting because of the cost i put into them

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it, I will check these out in order. Interesting, the eyelashes touching the insert is what I have experienced with my older Oakleys, they kind of get smudgged after a while and you have to stop before a stage take them apart and clean them.

I've been using the NYX for about 2 years. They work fine. The weak point is the lens design. The way they attach to the frame requires a notch at the top center of the lens and if you're not careful, the lens will break at that spot. I've broken one lens. I suppose that's the case with any "one piece" lens design.

I have the light vermillion, dark grey, polarized gray and clear. Most of the time I leave the vermillion in, it seems to help the red dot/fiber optic stand out a little better. I use the polarized when it's bright and the dark grey when I'm RO'ing (you can't see the timer with polarized lenses).

I use Decot for trap shooting. They get expensive when you have to change prescription, almost $1k for the different colors. That's why I tried the NYX.

got e-rudy.com, pick your glasses and put in the "2alpha" code for a 40%discount, they are doing this for a limited time,then it will go back to the 35% off. You will be happy with the Rudy glasses they are the best on the market.

Sean,

Thank you for the info, this will benefit many that are looking, I am on their site as we speak..........

I mainly use a Rydon with the Rx Direct Interchangeable lenses and a Genetyk with the Rx Insert. I very much prefer the Direct Rx as it eliminates the eyelash issue. For those having this issue, your frame has an adjustable nose piece, squeeze a little to raise the frame just enough to clear your eyelashes from brushing on the lenses.

I use Revisions.

I'm probably in the minority.

But I like them. Light, comfortable, and they just plain work for me.

Now, they don't have the color selection that Rudys or Randolph Engineering do, but that's not a big issue for me.

Most of the time I use the gray lens and I'll switch to the yellow for clays under lights at night.

Here is more info on prescription glasses than you will want to know...

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

Most excellent link, I did read that in one of my searches last month on the subject before going to my doc apt. I can for the first time see not only the front sight but the serrations on the front sight. No fuzz or blurr, it is a wonderful world.

I first tried the ESS and wasn't very happy with them. The prescription insert snaps onto the nose piece behind the frame, which puts the Rx insert too close to the face and subject to fogging and sweat.

My Rudy Exceptions on the other hand are great. The Rx inserts attach directly into the frame and the protective lenses snap onto the front. They pivot up and can be snapped off quickly and replaced by other colors when conditions change. Worth the extra money.

:cheers:

Curtis

May want to discuss the various options with your eye Dr. I have a very strong script and glasses that wrap won't work for me nor do those without a frame totally around the lense because they're so thick. It's for that reason I can't imagine an "insert" working well for me. Too, my regular glasses are small and when I've tried to shoot rifle or shotgun, I often look over the top. Very, very frustrating. Forget looking cool... How do you plan to wear them and what will your prescription allow?

Good luck in your search,

Sherry