Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What To Do When The Paper Clip Breaks?

Ken

I'm going through that initiation process of taking apart my new (and first for me) STI limited blaster with full length guide rod. Figure I would make use of the Slide Glide.

Now I know all about the need for a paper clip, and after two or three attempts, I insert the clip into the guide rod hole and take the thing apart. B)

While putting it back together, though, the clip seems to have broken (I saw less than all of it fall out). BUT, the plug is slightly into the slide and it will not move the rest of the way at all. You'd think it was welded in place. There must be a piece of the clip in there binding it all up. :angry:

I put the slide on the frame to see if that better grip would help. Nope. The bushing end of the rod pops out a little, and the slide of course will not move any more. Deciding that going to the tool box would only make matters worse, I took the slide off and stared at the parts for a good half hour, wondering where I went wrong and how the heck a piece of paper clip could be so resistent to my efforts. :wacko:

So, it's off to the 'smith tomorrow. He'll probably get it apart in two seconds and have a nice laugh at my expense. Or, this experience is going to cost me more than a bruised ego.

Oh, well. The life of a newbie, I guess.

As expected, my 'smith had the stuck guide rod and spring out in a matter of seconds. The clip was in several pieces, which were essentially held in place by some Slide Glide. He checked for and removed a bur, and I'm now good to go.

i have broken several paper clips in the last few years. on my trojan.

i used to put on a pair of leather gloves and push the guide plug over the plug hoping i could hold it with one hand while using the other to insert a new clip. what a pia! The plug only escaped my grasp a couple of times. luckily nothing broken--eyes, mirrors, windows, etc.

then last week i thought of something new. i was replacing the spring, adding a buffer and dreading the final assembly.

i realize that i could use the slide as a jig. i just put everything in and pushed up against the bushing and viola--the paper clip inserted easily. duh!

i realize that i could use the slide as a jig. i just put everything in and pushed up against the bushing and viola--the paper clip inserted easily. duh!

I drilled a hole in the middle of a 1911 bushing wrench slightly larger that the guide rod for this purpose. Works great (thanks for the tip J.L.).

The first time I took my Trojan apart I used the cut down allen wrench trick. After that I reverted to using my old GI bushing wrench. Dismount the top end, get a good grip on the spring and guide then turn the bushing out of the way. Keep your mitt over the rod cap and DON'T point the thing at your face!

Reassembly is easier if you mount the slide, keep the hammer down and press the cap into place with the bushing wrench. Keep the business end of the pistol AWAY from your face while doing this.

Use all the usual safety precautions, no mag, empty chamber, etc.

No offense intended mode on :

Skywalker :

Do you think the hex key would work for the sights too ?

;)

No offense intended mode off.

Julien,

buddy, I must be too narrow-minded or distracted at this time, but I am completely missing the meaning/humor of your post. :wacko:

Could you explain it please?

And, never worry, I won't get offended by humor about myself: I am usually the subject of my best humor! ;)

I have not seen any one mention this option so I thought I would muck in..... I am shooting a Dawson Mini-Stroker and have one of his Tungsten "Tooless" guide rods installed and it works a treat....really easy take down .....he does one is Stainless as well.... for 69 bucks.... it is working great for me... WES

i have  broken several paper clips in the last few years.  on my trojan........i realize that i could use the slide as a jig.  i just put everything in and pushed up against the bushing and viola--the paper clip inserted easily.  duh!

You have arrived at wisdom. Now, if you were an engineer, you would realize the slide can be used as the "spring compression tool" to insert the clip to take the gun apart before the slide is removed from the frame..... if you make the clip with a long enough "arm" that it can be inserted from the front while the slide is held back..... then allow the slide to come forward and capture the reverse plug against the clip. Then take off the slide with the spring/plug/rod held as a captive assembly. It stays that way while you clean the gun. Reassemble and reverse the procedure: push the slide back, remove the clip tool, slide snaps forward and the gun is done.

(No applause please, it's all done with mirrors).

The tool should look like this:

I_______

Make the long arm so the end is flush with the end of the guide rod when inserted into the tak down hole. The short side should be around 0.15", just long enough that you can sneak it in from under the guide rod (from the muzzle end) and insert it into the take down hole.

The secret is how to do it: to take down, push the slide all the way back and grab the gun with your right hand wrapped arounf the back with the first two fingers in the ejection port. That allows you to control the slide position (against spring tension) with just the right hand. Holding the slide, use the left hand to insert the clip tool from the front coming under the guide rod. Once it's in the take down hole, allow the slide to come forward and stop against the tool.

Then the slide stop and slide are removed with no spring tension.

To assemble: the slide assembly is put on the frame, and the slide stop inserted with the spring assy still being held captive by the clip tool. Then push the slide back and grab it with your right hand while you take out the tool (releasing the spring). Let the slide come forward and assembly is complete.

You will be kicking yourself when you see how easy it is to strip and assemble a 1911 using this trick.