Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redi-Mag for 3 Gun

J-Rob

I don't see the need for one.

I'm running a 40 round magazine and if the course is above that, it is not very difficult to find a place between round 1 through 40 to reload from the belt and not burn time. The only exception I can think of is a 40+ round course with no movement.

Edited by DyNo!

Don't use one here. I use a mag large enough to finish the stage without a reload and extra. The only reason I have an extra mag is for a failure. If I need to go prone and need the added stability of a second mag I have a clinched but usually just mobopod off the one

Don't use one here. I use a mag large enough to finish the stage without a reload and extra. The only reason I have an extra mag is for a failure. If I need to go prone and need the added stability of a second mag I have a clinched but usually just mobopod off the one

I run the pmag with nordic extension....cheaper than 2 pmags with the readymag clip....and like the others have said, I can 95% of the time finish the stage with no reloads....i carry 1 extra on my belt in case of failure just as the quoted poster mentioned.

I ran a Redi-Mag for a while, then switched to cinched magazines. Both offer faster reloads than going to the belt. Here are the advantages of both approaches IMHO:

PRO RediMag: Empty mag is jettisoned (why carry dead weight ?). Top round in spare mag will not walk forwards under recoil. Top round in spare mag is protected from the elements. More magazine flexibility (e.g. can run a 40 rounder and a 20 rounder if this is advantageous in a stage).

PRO Cinched Mags: Faster reloads from prone (positively pulling out expended mag, expended mag not in the way on the ground etc.). Partial mag is retained (keep ammo, better monopodding, mag stays cleaner). Less weight/bulk on the gun, which permits the use of Beta mags (when allowed). Can adjust magazines for matches that forbid multi-magazine monopodding (RM3G). Can use a mag funnel.

When I started running cinched mags, I initially used two Arredondo cinches, which I found was more rigid and sturdy feeling. Unfortunately, I found the top round in the spare mag would often walk forwards, causing problems during the reload. To stop the top round from walking, I now use only a single Arredondo mag cinch. This arrangement allows the spare mag to flex somewhat under recoil, and the top round seems to stay in place pretty well.

I think if I was going to war I would choose the Redi-Mag, but for 3-gun I prefer cinched mags :D.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Have not used them but did some research a while back and the most common complaints I saw from people who had were:

--Two Mags = extra weight on a gun most people are trying to reduce weight on

--If you hit the mag release just a moment too soon, you end up with a full mag on the ground

--It's one more thing to break when you least need it to

Edited by Graham Smith

When I started running cinched mags, I initially used two Arredondo cinches, which I found was more rigid and sturdy feeling. Unfortunately, I found the top round in the spare mag would often walk forwards, causing problems during the reload. To stop the top round from walking, I now use only a single Arredondo mag cinch. This arrangement allows the spare mag to flex somewhat under recoil, and the top round seems to stay in place pretty well.

Thanks.. That's a good tip.. I'll have to try that

I also prefer cinched magazines over the Redimag. I think cinched magazines, particularly magazines in something like a Safariland Magazine Doubler are slightly more stable when monopoding than when in the Redimag. Cinched mags also have less likelyhood of disaster when released as you grab both mags as opposed to trying to catch just one while letting the other go.

Redimags do avoid the problem of having rounds popping forward in the mag lips which can happen with cinched mags.

The weight of 2 magazines never bothered me.

While I will run higher cap mags to avoid mag changes, I will almost always run cinched mags if the stage requires monopoding.

Have not used them but did some research a while back and the most common complaints I saw from people who had were:

--Two Mags = extra weight on a gun most people are trying to reduce weight on

--If you hit the mag release just a moment too soon, you end up with a full mag on the ground

--It's one more thing to break when you least need it to

Not all redi mags release both mags when you hit the mag release. This is a common misconception.

I knew a guy that had a redimag on his rifle in the Corps. Long story short, it got banged around a little bit and the mag got stuck. Took two guys pulling on it to get the mag out. Now it was fun to watch, looked like two kids fighting over a toy. Now, I have never given my guns that much abuse in a 3 gun match, but you slam it into something the wrong way and it will fail. With a cinch your not adding anything to your rifle that will fail, other than the strap breaking at least, I firmly believe that simpler is better. Both options get the job done, why not the lighter, simpler option?

Redi Mags work well, though I feel that they are unnecessary if you have a 40 rd mag or 2 coupled magazines. I've run one on my practice gun for the past year w/ a BAD lever and the combination works well, though I do occasionally notice the extra weight of the spare mag when transitioning between targets. My redi mag is one of the newer models and does not release both magazines when the mag release is depressed, there is a separate lever that needs to be pressed to release the magazine in the redi mag. I feel that the area where the redi mag really excels is the HD role, for 3G I think using 40rd mags ora coupler are better options.

CAZ