Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Rackers?

TruStreet

I use blue if I do not see a need to disassemble again. I use Purple and Green for jobs where I might need to take it apart at some point. Neither require heat because they are designed to prevent screws from loosening due to vibration etc.

If you want it you need to go to Professional auto parts stores rather than the hardware store.

Two of my open guns have slide rackers. The first came with a set screw in the racker. Changed it out for a ball detent and have been shooting it for a bit over a year with no problems. It is much nicer than the set screw which was a pain to take out every time I wanted to remove the slide.

Most recently I had Doug Jones cut a dovetail in the slide of my backup and install a sidewinder. He put the ball detent in the slide as Matt Cheely recommended a couple of posts above. The result was a perfect fit and no unsightly parts of the ball detent sticking out of the racker. He blended the racker into the slide and the whole thing came out looking very professional.

I have a set screw in my Sidewinder XL racker; its a nuisance to have to unscrew the thing every time I want to take the slide off. Ditto on the blue locktite to hold it in. I'll be having a smith convert it to a ball detent before I get the ugly duckling chromed.

I use to be one of the ones that thought that rackers were not needed. After continually getting beat charging a gun from the start I changed my tune. Plus it props up the gun so well for table starts. You can heat the racker up with a torch and bend them pretty easily. I had one bent way up out of the way until I finally felt comfortable enough as my new open guns I did not bend. The Pro's outweigh the con's by a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...