Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crush washer for comp?

ranger

I want to install a used AR comp that I got without a crush or other washer. Any advice on what I can buy at a local Home Depot or Lowes to serve as a washer? Do I need a specific washer from a firearms parts supplier? Comp is a SJC Titan.

Thanks

Crush washers and peel washers are specific to shooting. The comp needs to tighten so it is clocked correctly so it either needs to be able to crush to a certain thickness or have layers you can peel away to reach a certain thickness. If you have a lathe or access to a well tooled lathe you could turn your own washer to a certain thickness (as well as the correct ID and OD) that will clock the comp for correct setting. This is the long and hard way around though. Best bet is to contact the comp manufacturer and see if they sell a washer shim assortment.

Pat

They realy should provide a crush washer with comps. But several comp sellers do not. Most of use average joe shooters do not have a drawer full of crush and peel washers and certainly do not have the equipment or skill to pare down a metal compensator.

They realy should provide a crush washer with comps. But several comp sellers do not. Most of use average joe shooters do not have a drawer full of crush and peel washers and certainly do not have the equipment or skill to pare down a metal compensator.

agreed, but the titan is advertised as not coming with one so......I mean they are 2 bucks at most and are usually sold on the same site that the comps are sold on.

If I were the OP, I'd suggest just ordering one (but to avoid spending a ton on shipping....you're just gonna have to put a bigger order together finding things to buy which you clearly don't need :ph34r: )

I looked all over at several hardware stores for one. No one had one and I ended up ordering one from Midway. I luckily was able to find a few other things that I needed to bump the order up so not to get hosed on shipping.

I indexed the Titan on my M1A w/ a piece of 220g sandpaper. Just sand a little material off the back of the comp, test fit, and sand some more if needed. I figure it took about 250 passes, which was quicker than waiting for the UPS man.