Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is your "Go to Food" while at the range

NJGlockGirl

Yes, but you have a nut allergy! I would HATE to be the one that sends you into Anaphylactic Shock at the range!!!!ohmy.gif

haha, i'm allergic but nothing lethal. on my way up to VAMD in may i ate some almonds while driving. it kept me awake to say the least!! :goof: i eat almonds and walnuts and a shot of tofu and shellfish frequently to make sure the allergy never becomes killer. i started doing that when i learned a 2nd cousin of mine who was allergic to chocolate ate an M&M piece every day as a kid until it was no longer a problem. soy stuff actually doesn't bother me bad anymore, i can eat things like clif bars without getting swollen, though a little itchy on the gums. it screws me up a little, but i love me some shrimp and grits!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best snack food I have found is PB and honey (a little goes a long way) on whole wheat (you can make them the night before). I like to cut them in half and put each half in a ziplock snack bag. When you have a break, just grab one and much it down. I actually think that you could live on these for several days - I used to in college.

The best snack food I have found is PB and honey (a little goes a long way) on whole wheat (you can make them the night before). I like to cut them in half and put each half in a ziplock snack bag. When you have a break, just grab one and much it down. I actually think that you could live on these for several days - I used to in college.

i do that every major match weekend!! :)

in CA i lived off 2 tina's 25 cent burritoes and 2 eggs 3 times a day with a banana as a treat for 5 months. ouch! :ph34r:

So, what y'all are telling me is that HuskySig is the only one on this thread that actually cares about their match day performance... :surprise:roflol.gif

In my bag, you will find jerky (preferably Bar-X from Albuquerque, when I can get it), nuts (macs or almonds, mostly), and a small amount of fruit - usually dried but sometimes fresh. You'll also find a crap load of water (preferring SmartWater, right now - tastes good... don't know if the mineral content actually helps or not). I eat a lot of that stuff during the day. At night, on match nights, it's a big hunk of protein and bunch of veggies. More water. Sometimes unsweetened iced tea.

Post match... I'm not above stopping into the Dairy Queen for a little treat devil.gif

Yes, but you have a nut allergy! I would HATE to be the one that sends you into Anaphylactic Shock at the range!!!!ohmy.gif

haha, i'm allergic but nothing lethal. on my way up to VAMD in may i ate some almonds while driving. it kept me awake to say the least!! :goof: i eat almonds and walnuts and a shot of tofu and shellfish frequently to make sure the allergy never becomes killer. i started doing that when i learned a 2nd cousin of mine who was allergic to chocolate ate an M&M piece every day as a kid until it was no longer a problem. soy stuff actually doesn't bother me bad anymore, i can eat things like clif bars without getting swollen, though a little itchy on the gums. it screws me up a little, but i love me some shrimp and grits!!

Good to know, as I usually only have Walnuts, macadamias, and Pecans in my cookies (when nuts are used).

I typically try to avoid eating anything during a match. If I think a match may run long (past 3:30 or so), I'll usually pack a bit of jerky to chew on.

Only problem is that several of the matches I shoot here in CENTEX have resident chefs who often grill up bratwurst, hot dogs, etc. Some days, it proves too hard to walk past these goodies and I cave. I usually feel a bit "sluggish" after eating something - not good in our sport.

ETA: Water is my drink of choice, sometimes supplemented by small amounts of G2 "lite" gatorade.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Okay, I'll be the boring safety dork :P

If you're eating while at the range (nuts, sandwhiches, anything you have to touch), you're very likely getting lead into your system, which is really BAD. Take it from someone with a high lead count, you need to be careful about this.

Your body puts lead into your body through your intestines...so eating with lead on your hands (which you will have after one round fired with any sort of handgun, unless you're buying lead-free primers) is about the quickest way to get it into your system.

You can buy pre-packaged (individual wrap) handy wipes that are specifically made to remove lead from your hands (works on surfaces as well). I keep these in my range bag and in my truck...ten take up almost no space at all. They also make a wet/dry sort of soap that you can wipe off, or rise off...very handy. I'm sure there are other companies, but I get those two products from ESCA Tech.

This is one of the reasons I like granola bars or Pop Tarts...you can eat them without touching them...just hold the wrapper. Obviously, those of us with higher lead counts need to be more careful, but I think many folks would be surprised at how high their count is if they're not already doing the sorts of things I mentioned. R,

If you're eating while at the range (nuts, sandwhiches, anything you have to touch), you're very likely getting lead into your system, which is really BAD. Take it from someone with a high lead count, you need to be careful about this.

Very good point. After 20 yrs of working around chemicals in labs, gods only know what I have in me, I probably don't need anything else in there.

Thanks for the D-lead wipes pointer.

I do bring loose nuts and dried fruits from time to time, so I'll be watching that in the future.

Most of the time, I have these reduced sugar mini granola bars (90cal / 5-7 g of sugar) which I eat after every other stage. That keeps me from getting tired or losing focus. And yes, eating ever hour or so makes a big difference.

Always have a chocolate chip granola bar, small pouch of dried fruit, pack or two of peanut butter crackers and a peanut butter sandwich with me on match days, in addition to two quarts of water and one (or two, depending upon the heat index) quarts of Gatorade.

Got to give the ol' machine a steady supply of fuel.

Edited to add: all of these foods never touch my hands, which is another benefit...hands only touch the cellophane wrapper, outside of the pouch or outside of the sandwich baggy.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

I started bringing BumbleBee Spicy Thai Chili tuna. They come in a handy cup, eat with a spoon or fork so no lead contamination, and delicious. Banana in hot weather to replace potassium, G2 Gatorade, summer sausage sticks or venison jerky, and G2 Gatorade.

Cooler with

PB sandwiches (Don't care for the J part) in plastic bags

Water

Protein Shakes

While eating the sandwiches, I try to be careful to hold them with the the plastic bag and not touch them directly.

Edited by Six

Usually some Powerade, water and some sort of protein bar. If it's going to be a long day, I add in a PB and banana sandwich on multigrain bread. I also clean my hands before eating and try hold the food by the wrapper.

Generally I go light - a big meal slows me down, mentally and physically. A nibble here and there between stages starting mid to late morning.

A couple Nature Valley Trail Mix bars, a nonfat yogurt, maybe a couple small fruit cups. All stuff that doesn't need touching after I've loaded mags, shot, picked up brass/steel, etc. Water/G2 or another noncaffeinated drink. LOTS of water at a long/hot match like A2 or the Nats.