Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantsge of 38 super vs 45

muleymaniac81

Still in the market for a new 1911, and I'm still trying to figure out if I want to get .45 or .38 super. Other than the ability to load up or down for other PFs, what advantage is there to going with the .38 super? I have a Dillon press and dies for the .45, but if the .38 is that much better, it's just a 1-time investment for new dies. Is the recoil of the .38 comparable to the .45? Thanks for your help,

Mitch

What do you want to do with said new gun? Shoot USPSA matches, just plink, a carry piece, etc? For example, you have to be .40 or larger to make Major PF if you intend to shoot it in single stack in USPSA, no matter how fast you push them 38 Super is going to be scored minor....

Super has a few disadvantages in SS. First, you will be scored minor, no matter what. Second, you aren't gonna find alot of super brass just laying around, or even once fired for sale. If you wanted to shoot it in Limited 10, that would be different. In L10, you would be at an advantage (easier to load for mj than 9mm, less recoil than 45 or 40), except for the price of brass. 9x19 is more feasible even there. The only place the super variants really fit in is in Open. There, they shine!

99,999 times out of 100,000, .45 will be "better" than Super, all things considered, if you're talking regular, uncompensated 1911 with iron sights. If you choose to expand your search to other calibers—such as 9mm and .40 S&W—there are better arguments to be made for some of those other calibers that might make them make more sense than .45 for you.

Super has a few disadvantages in SS. First, you will be scored minor, no matter what. Second, you aren't gonna find alot of super brass just laying around, or even once fired for sale. If you wanted to shoot it in Limited 10, that would be different. In L10, you would be at an advantage (easier to load for mj than 9mm, less recoil than 45 or 40), except for the price of brass. 9x19 is more feasible even there. The only place the super variants really fit in is in Open. There, they shine!

You can not load .38 Super or 9mm to major in any Division other than Open.

.45 is not "better" than super. They are different. It comes down to application,

Exactly.

Everybody thinks the 1911 frame was designed around .45acp....untrue. The dimensions (magwell, distance to feed ramp, etc) all came from .38acp...which is why 1911s in Super tend to run extremely well. In fact, there are a couple of "problems" with .45 in 1911 that don't pop up in Super (bullets hitting the slide stop nose, etc). R,

You can not load .38 Super or 9mm to major in any Division other than Open.

I missed that...I stand corrected.

So you can shoot the 38super major PF in L-10? But not in Limited?

Edited by KWD

So you can shoot the 38super major PF in L-10? But not in Limited?

I was mistaken...The only place where 38S/SC is scored major is Open.

I have never shot a 1911 in .38 Super that didn't have a comp on it. I'm betting that .38 Super making major would kick like a mule in a regular 1911.

Of course, there would be no reason to load it to major unless you were going to shoot Open.

Not really...it's snappy, but actually less than full house .45 in overall recoil. R,

The only advantages I see to .45 is power factor and bigger holes. Those holes can turn D's into an A's. Shooting minor is fun, but it is not going to help your score too much. .38 super in minor seems like a very expensive way to go about it. 9x19 would be much more logical.

A 1911 in .45 is great for single stack division or limited 10. When people think 1911, most think .45. I personally love .45 but as it is really only used in single stack, and carrying a box of 45 on you through most stages is a lot of extra weight, more percieved recoiland is a bit pricier than .40S&W. If your not shooting production, or open, the .45 is not ideal. I shoot single stack, production, limited and limited 10 in .40, because it's 130pf .40 feels great to me and leaves bigger holes in production and the other divisions I mostly shoot are .40 major. While I'm getting into open, I'm going .38sc because of the unlimited choices of powders, and 10+ reloads out of the brass. For a single stack in USPSA it seems .40 is the way to go, particularly if you ever plan to shoot limited or even production.

I am planning to shoot USPSA Single Stack. Hopefully some 3-Gun stuff too. I shot a STI Trojan in 9mm, and was very impressed. The difference in scoring is what makes me lean toward the .45. I guess I could go with the 9 and work harder on hitting A's, but that's the goal no matter what you shoot. Decisions, decisions, decisions........

I am planning to shoot USPSA Single Stack. Hopefully some 3-Gun stuff too. I shot a STI Trojan in 9mm, and was very impressed. The difference in scoring is what makes me lean toward the .45. I guess I could go with the 9 and work harder on hitting A's, but that's the goal no matter what you shoot. Decisions, decisions, decisions........

One slight advantage to .40 for SS is that with 8 rounds in the mag, they're easier to seat than .45 mags with 8 in them. Another is that if you travel to a match and something whacky happens (forget ammo, lost luggage, etc), you can just go buy some .40 ammo and still make power factor, without dealing with the recoil you'd get with .45 factory ammo. R,

My single stack gun is a 38 super, I find at my level "C" I get more advantage with the 2 extra rounds, missing a popper or a plate doesn't screw a reload plan like it does with only 8 rounds. When I want to be locked into my reloads I shoot Revolver. for me shooting single stack is just like shooting production but with a better trigger.

Also it is easy to load with heavy bullets with fast powders that make it shoot so soft.

Mike

Hello: Get the 45. It will be scored major if you load it that way and you will have lots of choices for bullets. The 45 mags seat just as easily as 40 mags do. If you load 45 now and have all the stuff then just get a 45 and start shooting. The STI Spartan is a great pistol for the money and runs great. I want to shoot my single stacks now :cheers: Thanks, Eric

The 45 mags seat just as easily as 40 mags do.

I've got Wilson 47D mags for .45 and Wilson 47NX mags for .40 and with 8 in both, the 47NX is clearly easier to seat. I also have CMC and Tripp mags in .40 and they all seat easier than any 8rd .45 mag that I've got (when they're both at 8). One mag is full, the other is a round down. I have yet to see a mag that didn't seat easier a round down, than fully loaded. R,