Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Win Powder Recommendations

WatchmanUSA

I'm about ready to get set-up to reload .308 Win with my Dillon 550B. I'm just looking for suggestions of powders that work well with my Dillon and provide good performance. I'll use this list to research the powders and make my selection. I will probably use 168gr BTHP match bullets from Widener's.

IMR 4895 is The 308 powder, since forever.

I'm about ready to get set-up to reload .308 Win with my Dillon 550B. I'm just looking for suggestions of powders that work well with my Dillon and provide good performance. I'll use this list to research the powders and make my selection. I will probably use 168gr BTHP match bullets from Widener's.

Reloader 15, IMR 4064, and the new IMR 8208 are all great choices. R15 is used in the M118 Sniper Rnd and the 4064 was recommended by Predator Customs and my local dealer. The 8208 is the new cat on the block and is supposed to be a great powder for accuracy.

I built some long range loads with Varget and RL-15 in both 168 Hornady BTHP Match and 155 Scenars. The Varget BARELY outshot the RL15. All were weighed charges. I have used ball powders (H335 or W748) and got some decent 100 yard groups with lighter bullets. I do not like how Varget meters thru my Redding BR powder measure..lots of kernels get cut. RL-15 is not so bad, but still would vary somewhat on your Dillon powder measure.

I just bought a can of BENCHMARK to work with next, as I want something to try on my RCBS 2000PRO progressive. I hope to build a load that is easy to produce without weighing charges (for my AR-10T) I heard Benchmark goes thru the measure pretty slick, and might be the ticket for progressives like your Dillon.

IMR 4895 is The 308 powder, since forever.

+1