Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Western States Single Stack Championship

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been shooting this since Steve started this and this was by far the best of the best. Everything went smooth thanks to the RO's who were great. Stages looked easy but boy could they bite you. Thanks Steve, Polle and the whole crew for a good match.

First time shooting this (thanks Steve and everyone else!) I agree with the above, the organization DID run pretty smooth and there was no controversies, it appears the officials did a great job of doping out the stages and debugging prior to the match. Thanks again!!

I thought the stages were a great mix of shooting, movement, and strategy. There were more than a couple of stages that looked simple until you thought "hey if I can shoot this from here...."

Hoping to make it back down next year!

Here are some of the reasons why this is the best single stack match in the country:

1. Rio Salado offers a wide variety of terrain; large bays, small bays, running field course in the mesa.

2. WSSSC uses a wide variety of props; drop turners, round steel, poppers, barrels, walls, ports

3. Stage design tests all the shooting skills; accuracy, hosing, running, movements, reloads and a real standards course of fire.

4. Polle!

5. ROs who know the rules, their stage, and treat everyone with courtesy.

6. Rich an his crew are on the spot anytime something arises.

7. Dan and Maggie's dogs!

8. Kyle for going above and beyond as a Match Director/RO/etc.

9. The idea of a shoot off for stage winners by classification.

10. 75 degree weather in January!

Man, what a great time Sam and I had this past weekend! Now we're back here in the cold snowy midwest...uggh....

Fantastic match!

Normally I have to divide stages out by six--it was really liberating to be able to just let myself go with an 8-round hi-cap gun for a change! ;)

I had never been to Rio Salado, it was really exciting for me just to pull in the front gate, it felt like I was making a pilgrimage to one of the true holy lands of practical shooting.

Thanks to Steve and everybody else who made it happen. I am already planning to attend next year's WSSSC.

Many thanks to Steve, Polle,all the RO's and Rangemasters for putting on the best WSSSC ever! (except for the standards-ugh)

The weather was Chamber of Commerce perfect, stages were challenging yet straightforward. See you next year!

75 degree weather in January...not always true. I shot this match around 4 years ago and it snowed on us.

Congrats to Nils. I knew that unknown "Flash in the pan" could do it. As soon as he learns how to load a shotgun, watch out 3 gunners.

I was at that match when it snowed. Mark T brought his SUV around and popped the hatch. Glenn H supplied the heater. The on deck shooter got to warm his hands. I shot the 'classifier' in the snow with plastic on the targets. Still it was a great match.

Not sure about the score counting as a classifier. Before there was an issue with USPSA because of the number of CROs. I believe they did not want to upgrade the match because there was not a CRO on every stage.

My conclusion was that Steve kept this match reasonably priced and to import 'USPSA CROs' just to upgrade the match level would be very expensive and increase the cost of the match. That might have changed by now. Call Dave Thomas, after all, his is the Executive Director and should respond to the inquiry of a member.