Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Blaster's For 2004

Jon Merricks

lim.jpg

open.jpg

both.jpg

This is my very first open gun. Holy cow is this going to be fun. Both guns were built by Tommy Abernathy in Mt. Holly NC. The open is 38 supercomp with a STI trubor S2 barrel. It's got four 1/16" holes in the barrel close together. Weight's in at 44oz. I didnt think about the thumb sheild or swenson's until after he had it together so that maybe one thing I'll have to get him to add.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist! I must resist!

Damn, what fine guns!

That is pretty trick....

looks like it is nicely put together...How's it shooting/handling??

I am starting to get the itch for a new open gun...

It's just OK right now compared to my primary gun with the S2 comp. It runs great with no malf's. The S1 comp is much lighter and shorter but is not as effective. This 5" gun's OAL is about the same as some short gun's I've seen. I can make this gun run and track just as well as the S2 but I have to work much harder to make it perform. I'm running 124's and have tried 147 so now I'm going to give 115's a try and see what works out. My smith did a great job with what I gave him to work with. This once was a limited gun so after having to cut the crap out of the slide, fill in a dove tail, change the breach face and all the rest of the stuff it turned out pretty good.

Be interested in your comparision between the two guns..why do you think you are working harder to make it run and track the same..what inputs are you getting..

I have a short slided light open gun with long comp...which is pretty smooth running..I played a short while with a shorter light gun with two blowholes and a shorter comp..and felt too it was a littler harder..anyway..curious as to what your mileage and experience is..

thanks..

It's all pretty much in controlling the dot. I have heard some say it does not matter how much the dot moves, well it does to me. But I'm not saying super flat is great either. For me to keep this guns dot in the tractability/predictability range (for me) I really have to drive it harder from grip to stance. My grip is not that great. It tracks fast so my eyes and mental focus has to stay sharp. I feel as if I have to control the gun like I would a limited gun just not quite as much. I'm still trying different recoil springs systems but in this gun the light recoil master is running the best and in the S2 comp I like the sprinco with a 9lbs commander spring. If the 115's get this gun close to the S2 I think I'll see some improvements in transitions and draws. I guess time will tell.

Jon

Nice ride, is that the same one you shot the GA state match with? I'm the guy that was shootin' the STInger. I found that when I switched to a shorty, I had to make some adjustments also. Finally, after reading Brian's book again, I decided to hang on, pull the trigger, and enjoy the ride. I too tried to control the dot, but finally realized relaxation was the key. (for me anyway)

DaG

• 1 year later...

It was OK but you really need the holes. It is so easy to make major I really see no reason not to have them unless the noise bothers you. I wish I could remember the sizes but I would do 3 holes insted of 4 but they would be a little larger.

I'm thinking around xxx at 1.180". BUT DO NOT start at this. I have ran SC this whole season so I can't remember the correct amount. I'll probally load some this weekend and I'll let you know. One thing I have found out about HS-7 is that a little goes along ways. I could never get a 170 pf it was either 168 or 172. So I just stayed at 172 or higher. It is really flat but a real kick in the palm.

Good luck.