Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold bullets 147gr had Oil on them

Sparky

I ordered 3000 9mm 147gr Montana Gold cmj and the bullets appear to have oil on them?

They had to be tumbled to remove the oil? I'm not disrespecting Montana Gold bullets

I use a lot of them and none to this date have had oil on them. MG has been emailed.

I will continue to use them, just curious if anyone else experienced this problem.

Hello all. Sparky started this thread on my behalf.

When I ran my hands through the bullets, a greasy residue was left on my fingers. I suppose it could be polish, but it had a distinct oil smell. Sparky has always received excellent product from MG, and I'm sure this is probably not the norm. I very pleased with the bullets otherwise. Im pretty much done tumbling all off them at this point, and I will let you guys know what MG says.

Years ago when I was using Star bullets, I got one box that had lube left on them. Not enough to see, but you could feel it.

Loaded them up, and shot them as is. Nothing noteworthy about how they shot, but loading was a pain, as they would slip out of my fingers. <_<

I've noticed the same thing with all my MG bullets. Not dripping, but if you run your hands through the box, they pick up a bit of some kind of lubricant. I assume something that helps with the jacketing process. Additionally, they appear to tumble the bullets in corn cob...because there's some of that in the boxes as well. Neither seems to have been enough to be a problem.

At least I haven't run into any split jackets yet...and they seem to always have product in stock...or tell you via the web site if they don't.

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone called MG to ask?

I emailed them a while back, and honestly forgot all about it. :blush: I never heard back from them. It wasn't until I saw this thread again that I was reminded about the oil. I finished tumbling the bullets weeks ago, and have been loading them with great success so far. If I remember tomorrow, I will give them a call, but its not really an issue anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm geting ready to place an order with them.

I'll be sure to call and ask some questions regarding this before I order.

I'll make a note to post something here regarding their reply / reason. :cheers:

Here's the reply from Montana Gold.

Hi Michael, what they may feel is a preservative to keep the lead and jackets from galling in the bulk boxes. Norm

And no it isn't nessicary to remove the preservative prior to the reloading process.

At one time we had an fellow doing our polishing that could not understand how it was mixed. It seems every time we would turn our backs he would do it his way and the parts would come out feeling oily. He is no longer with us. norm

That answers that.

I'll place my order now.

Edited by Metalchemist

My order arrived a couple of days ago.

They were excelent NO oil or any residue.

I had them in my hands three days after ordering.

I reloaded @ 100 with differing powders and load charges ({I have 3 different 9mm) so I can test function as well as accuracy.)

I can't wait to go test fire them. :D

• 3 weeks later...