Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering my Dillon 550 tomorrow, a little help please..

famous187

I'm taking the plunge and ordering a Dillon 550 from Eno's tomorrow. I think I have a fairly good list of everything I'll need off the bat for basic reloading. I don't shoot any competitions or anything like that as of right now so my immediate needs from the press is just to produce good quality ammo and lots of it. I will only be reloading 9mm starting off. The gun I will be reloading for is a Glock 19 3rd Gen. Here is a short list of the stuff I'm going to order:

Dillon 550 Press

Dillon 9mm Dies

Dillon Primer Tubes x 4

Dillon Case Gauge

Eno's Digital Scale

Eno's Digital Calipers

Lymans Reloading Manual

I have decided to start out with a 12oz bottle of Accurate Solo 1000 for my powder because of all the good things I've read. I've also decided on Montana Gold 124gr FMJ for my first batch. I will be using Tula Ammo small primers because that's all I could find in stock. I will be using once fired Winchester and Federal brass I've been saving.

So now that all of that is out of the way, I have a couple questions:

01. I couldn't find any info on Accurate's website about a load recipe for Solo 1000 with 9mm. They don't even list it under 9mm. How do I know how much powder to start with?

02. Does the 550 come with mounting hardware?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm taking the plunge and ordering a Dillon 550 from Eno's tomorrow. I think I have a fairly good list of everything I'll need off the bat for basic reloading. I don't shoot any competitions or anything like that as of right now so my immediate needs from the press is just to produce good quality ammo and lots of it. I will only be reloading 9mm starting off. The gun I will be reloading for is a Glock 19 3rd Gen. Here is a short list of the stuff I'm going to order:

Dillon 550 Press

Dillon 9mm Dies

Dillon Primer Tubes x 4

Dillon Case Gauge

Eno's Digital Scale

Eno's Digital Calipers

Lymans Reloading Manual

I have decided to start out with a 12oz bottle of Accurate Solo 1000 for my powder because of all the good things I've read. I've also decided on Montana Gold 124gr FMJ for my first batch. I will be using Tula Ammo small primers because that's all I could find in stock. I will be using once fired Winchester and Federal brass I've been saving.

01. I couldn't find any info on Accurate's website about a load recipe for Solo 1000 with 9mm. They don't even list it under 9mm. How do I know how much powder to start with?

Thanks,

Chris

Solo 1000 is a shotgun powder I beleive???? Anyways Id do a search in 9mm forum here and post a thread if you cant get the info from that. Does come with bolts ect

Solo is a shotgun powder. I'd do a little reserch and see if something better is out there. I would not substite a shotgun powder for a pistol powder. Burning rates are different. This is what their websight has to say on Solo 1000.

"A fast burning, single-base, flake shotgun powder. SOLO 1000 was the pioneer in the clean burning

revolution and is an excellent choice for trap, sporting clays and skeet shooting. It is an ultra clean

burning powder that is well suited for target handgun loads in 45 ACP and Cowboy Action cartridges."

Lots of shotgun powders are also fine pistol powders. i.e. Solo 1000, Universal Clays, Clays, WST, etc. I don't know if Solo 1000 is the best powder for a first time reloader.

Universal Clays is what I started with and still use for 9mm.

For your stuff list, what about:

primer flip tray

Dillon bench wrench

You don't really need the extra primer pickup tubes...but it doesn't hurt to have extras. I started out with a digital caliper and bought a dial after I went to reload one night and both the battery in my digital and the spare were dead...so I had no caliper.

Thanks for all the advice.

I guess I'm stuck on what powder to use. I've read alot of good things about the Solo 1000 on these forums. One of the things I liked was that people said the powder took up a lot of space in the casing due to the consistency of it, which would make it easier to spot a double charge. Can you guys recommend a good powder for someone just starting out. This will be for 9mm and I'm not looking for supreme accuracy off the bat, just want to get my feet wet.

thanks

chris

oh yeah...definitely an impact puller. You will at some point need to disassemble some rounds or at least lengthen one that you made too short.

As for powders, density was one of the reasons I chose to start with Universal. In 9mm, you can't double charge it without spilling powder all over the shell plate. On a similar note, here's a tip to save you a few minutes of clean-up. My 550's powder system came with the small bar installed but set to drop a whole lot of powder. Before you start loading crank the adjustment screw down (to reduce powder charge) a bunch. My first powder throw filled a 9mm case and dumped a bunch more on the shell plate when I lowered the ram.

My concern with Solo 1000 is that I've read it can vary quite a bit from lot to lot and it seems like it's only good for relatively weak loads. With Universal and 124gr 9mm, you can do about 1050fps at the start charge, and take it up to over 1100fps if you want.

Dillon 550 Press

Dillon 9mm Dies

Dillon Primer Tubes x 4

Dillon Case Gauge

Eno's Digital Scale

Eno's Digital Calipers

Lymans Reloading Manual

Thanks,

Chris

I would also recommend a strong mount & the aluminum roller handle - it just makes your whole platform much more rigid, and the handle I've found is much more comfortable, especially if someday you will be loading in high volumes. I would also strongly recommend ordering a spare parts kit, which will save you time if & when something breaks (decapping punch). I would suggest, but it is not a must-have, is a bullet tray, again if someday you will be reloading large volumes. When I ordered my 550 some 7 months ago, I am thrilled that I ordered most if not all of the upgrades that Brian Enos suggests. I've loaded 10,000 rounds in that time and the upgrades I feel are well worth the investment.

My suggestion for powders is to stock up on N320 - the cleanest and best recoil powder I feel that's available. Your selection of using Montana Gold's is wise - their service is second to none - I order bullets by the case (2,500 for 40's), and within a week it's in my hands. I personally like using JHP's, a few dollars more, but very accurate & clean.

Tumbler, media, brass polish, media separator, case gage, work bench,manuals and a bunch of them as many as you can find! Good luck and you will not be disappointed!

How'd we miss those? Brass polish I'll veto...you don't absolutely need it. I've got the RCBS rotary media separator and love it. I put brass through it before tumbling to remove dirt, .22lr brass, and any other small debris, dump out the crud, then use it again after tumbling to get the crushed walnut out of the brass. Case gage was already on his list.

Nothing wrong with Solo 1000 if you're shooting minor. Also agree that N320 is one of the best powders out there, but very pricey. For an all-around utility powder that offers good value, consider trying W231 - it meters well and I've used it successfully in everything from .380 to .45.

I agree about the strong mount and roller handle - well worth the money. Also, make sure your bench is either anchored to the floor/wall or is heavy enough so that it doesn't move around. An unstable bench can lead to lots of issues. I keep a case of bullets and a couple battlepacks of .308 on my benchtop to help keep it stable.

Thanks for all the info!

I just put my order in for the following:

Dillon 550 Press

Dillon 9mm Dies

Dillon Case Gauge

Eno's Digital Scale

I still have a list of things I want to get before I start reloading but at least I'll be able to set my press up on my bench and get everything squared away while my bank account recuperates. So for my next list of items to get here is what I have:

Digital Calipers

Lyman and Speer Reloading Manuals

Primer Flip Tray

Bullet Puller

Spare Parts Kit

I was told I don't have to use a tumbler to start out with. I don't really care if the brass is shiny or not and the brass I do have on hand is not dirty at all. They were all fired from my gun and picked up by me of the concrete directly afterward. Am I missing something in regards to that and actually do need to get a tumbler before I begin?

Also, the "As It Should Be" Upgrades would defiantly be nice but it just isn't in my budget right now. I could see myself upgrading in the future though. I do have a very sturdy work bench already, so I have that taken care of.

I'm beginning to realize powder choice if VERY personal, haha. Everyone suggests something different. I really just want something to start out with that is easy to load and safe for 9mm's.

Thanks

chris

Tumbler, media, brass polish, media separator, case gage, work bench,manuals and a bunch of them as many as you can find! Good luck and you will not be disappointed!

How'd we miss those? Brass polish I'll veto...you don't absolutely need it. I've got the RCBS rotary media separator and love it. I put brass through it before tumbling to remove dirt, .22lr brass, and any other small debris, dump out the crud, then use it again after tumbling to get the crushed walnut out of the brass. Case gage was already on his list.

Thanks nj, polish is not needed but I like my brass to be shiny and pretty to shoot out of my pimp-gun!lol...

Definatly, I'm going to buy all that stuff before I actually start reloading. Just wanted to go ahead and get my press ordered so I can go ahead and get it mounted and all that good stuff. Lowes has a set I'm probably gonna pick up.

thanks

You want to clean the brass (either tumbler or in liquid) before reloading it for the sake of your dies.

+1, sounds like your off to a good start. Now primers,bullets and powders!$$$$$ I use Alliant's Power pistol, it measures well and easy to work with also clean and inexpensive 18.99 a Lb. Ya don't start a powder war! Lol.. I'm jk!

Chris,

Thanks for the order! It will go in with Dillon today and ship tomorrow.

On powders for 9mm, I've never reloaded that caliber, so personally, I don't have a recommendation for you. However, in the "What are your favorite loads for common calibers" thread in the Reloading FAQs Subforum, I have seen two of my favorite 40 S&W/45 ACP powders listed for 9mm: Vit. 320 and Hodgdon's Clays.

be

I wouldn't put off getting the digital calipers until later-will need them for measuring your OAL/COL and crimp. You can get them very inexpensively at Harbor Freight if you happen to have one in your city.

You definitely need calipers. The only question is digital, dial, or both? I started with digital, and one night I went to use them and found that the battery was bad (the readout goes kind of nuts when the voltage gets too low) and my spare was dead too...so no working calipers. I bought a dial caliper after that.

Chris,

I have a 550 and love it. I like the idea of hand indexing. I feel it keeps me more in

control of my reloading; which I have been doing for almost 40 years.

I do not shoot 9mm, but have a couple of guys that I shoot with that shoot

Production (Glock 34's) and they shoot Winchester Super Target (WST). The

load is 3.3 grains behind a Montana Gold 147 gr complete metal jacket bullet.

I'm cautious about posting load data; so I would suggest if you try WST to

start at 3.1 and check for pressure, etc. But, the 147 gr gives you more

of a push and less muzzle flip.

Good Luck with your 550, as I'm sure other shooter have told you Dillons service

is second to none.

Sparky

I wouldn't put off getting the digital calipers until later-will need them for measuring your OAL/COL and crimp. You can get them very inexpensively at Harbor Freight if you happen to have one in your city.

You definitely need calipers. The only question is digital, dial, or both? I started with digital, and one night I went to use them and found that the battery was bad (the readout goes kind of nuts when the voltage gets too low) and my spare was dead too...so no working calipers. I bought a dial caliper after that.

Absolutely you will want digital calipers right away. This allows you to check the dimensions which your case gauge will not as Vigilante said. I also recommend going the cheap route on calipers. They are not rocket science and if you start with the Chinese models from Harbor Freight you will find yourself using the same calipers (although you will go through batteries) 10 years from now.

njl brought up a good point about batteries. After getting the calipers, open the case and look at the battery type and put on the WalMart list to buy next stop. I agree on dial but hate reading a dial (momma never raised any smart children) so I just keep a couple of extra batteries in the caliper case.

Also, I like the brass polish. A few drips into a vibrating bowl with new media turns out factory polish looking cases.

I really kind of hate it when people chime in on powders and say not to use something because its not what the powder was intended for, or there are better choices out there. Solo 1000 is actually a very good powder in 9mm. Its clean burning, and is a softer powder in terms of recoil. It is not a bad powder to start loading with, it has a pretty decent min/max weight spread, unlike Clays which can be very finicky and induce higher pressures. Research your bullet weight, and powder combination and start low and work the load up. You wont be disappointed with the Dillon at all. Good luck and safe reloading...

Bass