Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering my Dillon 550 tomorrow, a little help please..

famous187

I really kind of hate it when people chime in on powders and say not to use something because its not what the powder was intended for, or there are better choices out there. Solo 1000 is actually a very good powder in 9mm. Its clean burning, and is a softer powder in terms of recoil. It is not a bad powder to start loading with, it has a pretty decent min/max weight spread, unlike Clays which can be very finicky and induce higher pressures. Research your bullet weight, and powder combination and start low and work the load up. You wont be disappointed with the Dillon at all. Good luck and safe reloading...

Bass

I never tried Solo 1000, so I can't comment on it. And yes, Clays, is a bit high on the high pressure side, maybe especially for one new to reloading. But Hodgdon's load data site does list it for 9mm loads, for bullet weights from 115 grains to 147 grains.

be

I think for my first batch this is what I'm going to load:

Montana Gold 124gr FMJ

Winchester WSF Powder 4.7gr

CCI Small Primer

Mixed Brass

1.169" OAL

That is directly from Hodgdon's website. A couple of questions:

01. They don't list what type of bullet, just 124gr FMJ, does it matter what brand?

02. They list the starting load for the powder to be 4.7gr, should I work my way up to that or start at 4.7gr?

Solo is a shotgun powder. I'd do a little reserch and see if something better is out there. I would not substite a shotgun powder for a pistol powder. Burning rates are different. This is what their websight has to say on Solo 1000.

"A fast burning, single-base, flake shotgun powder. SOLO 1000 was the pioneer in the clean burning

revolution and is an excellent choice for trap, sporting clays and skeet shooting. It is an ultra clean

burning powder that is well suited for target handgun loads in 45 ACP and Cowboy Action cartridges."

Many shotgun powders are well suited for use in pistol rounds. The burn rate is what makes it work. Pistols and shotguns take a relativley fast powder (when compared to rifle powders). Longshot is also a shotgun powder, but is well suited for pistol in certain calibers.

Montana Gold 124gr FMJ

CCI Small Primer

Mixed Brass

1.169" OAL

01. They don't list what type of bullet, just 124gr FMJ, does it matter what brand?

02. They list the starting load for the powder to be 4.7gr, should I work my way up to that or start at 4.7gr?

Just about all of your garden variety FMJ's will be the same, if they are the same weight.

If Hodgdon says the start is 4.7, then you should be good with that, but obviously check your manuals. Here's a tip, when setting up your powder charge, throw at least 10 charges and weight them, then divide by 10 to get the average powder drop weight. Second, when setting your COAL (cartridge overall length), make sure to fill each station of the 550 with a case, just as if you were loading them. Trying to set the OAL with just a case in the seat station will give you inconsistent results, as the shell plate can flex without other cases in it. Third, set your crimp die to crimp the diameter of the bullet plus twice the case thickness at the mouth. It's not really a crimp, more like just removing the bell/flair put into the case at the powder drop station.

Been loading Solo 1000 most of the year for my 9mm STI Trojan, very pleased but it works best with heavy bullets. I loaded with good results 147gn lead, plated and jacketed bullets. 124's are about as light a bullet you can use with Solo 1000 as it fills the case almost to the top. It's a little messy as it will spill a few flakes on the shell plate.

I have polished the inside powder funnel with a wad of Q tips and some Simicrome to help bridging, helping a light flake powder meter. I like the accuracy and the felt recoil of Solo 1000 and 147gn bullets. To me it's worth the effort.

Winchester 231 or Hodgdon Titegroup are a good powder to start with both meter well and work with light or heavy bullets. VV320 is an excellent powder but a little pricey, you do get what you pay for though. I would suggest one of these to you get the feel of the machine and learn the adjustments.

Once you have the feel and are comfortable operating the machine, then try Solo 1000.

I have the roller handle and recommend it. I used a couple of small 2x6 boards the raise the machines off the bench and to provide a shelf to place bullets in on the machine on the left of my bench. I have two 550's one on either end of the bench.

I've found that powdered graphite is the best lube for the primer bar, anything liquid seems to gum up. I'll give the powder bar a light dusting once in a while also. Wouldn't hurt to have a small brush and a can a spray air handy also.

Check Handloads.com for some loading data.

Enjoy the 550 it will provide you with years of service.

Montana Gold 124gr FMJ

CCI Small Primer

Mixed Brass

1.169" OAL

01. Not enough to care about.

02. Start at 4.7. "Starting loads" are always going to be a safe place to start, regardless of the individual variables involved.

be

1.169 is the max COAL for 9mm. You may want to load a little shorter because not all your rounds are going to come out the same OAL...some will be a little longer, some a little shorter. If your target is max, some will be longer. At these lengths, you may find they either don't fit your mags or chambers.

So if I shorten the COAL from what the manufacture recommends for that load do I have to adjust the powder load to compensate for that? Basically I just want to know if shortening the COAL from what the load data lists will cause the pressure in the case to be dangerous?

Shortening COAL will increase pressure...but that's why you start at the start charge and work your way up using a chronograph (was one of those on your list?). Part of the problem with worrying about COAL is unless you have exactly the same bullets (and brass) used for the load data, your case volumes at equal COAL's will be different anyway. The shape of the bullet can influence pressure as well.

A general rule of thumb for changing AOL with the same powder charge, seating the bullet .010 deeper will result in an approximate 10 FPS velocity increase. And vice-a-versa if you go longer of course. I was surprised, over the years, how many powders I saw that hold true for.

be