Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sniper match at Rock Castle

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went down yesterday and hung out with the brave 3 gunners shooting the match. Joe stuck all the 3 gunners on the same squad, as if they were some kind of black sheep. :) It was about 10 degrees yesterday morning when they hit the first stage but warmed to a balmy 20 or so. I think the temperatures were a benefit though, we've had enough rain recently that if it was above freezing the road to one stage would have been difficult. The wind was playing hell. On some of the stages it may be 15mph at 2 oclock and suddenly shift to 8mph at 10oclock. It was a steady 10-20 from some direction all day.

The biggest targets I saw on any of the stages I looked at (5 of the 6) were 18" x 24" plates. I'm guessing they were at 850 and 1K yards. The smallest targets were golf balls. Most targets ranged in size from 4" to 11", steel plates of various shapes: squares, triangles, diamonds. The closest targets I saw were just under 200, most targets seemed to be in the 300 to 600 range. Take all this with a grain of salt- I didn't mil anything. Max rounds per stage is 25, time limits on most stages ran around 5 minutes. Some stages allowed the competitor to make a range card before the beep, on others the shooter had to estimate range on the clock.

Match management was very well laid out. Stages seemed to be running on time or early. The ROs all seemed to have plenty of experience calling hits on little targets. The staff at Rockcastle was friendly and helpful as always. Lunch at the restaraunt was delicious! The local county road department took care of keeping the snow cleared on the road up to the lodge.

I think Joe told me there were a total of 60 target points available. He said he figured the winner would be somewhere between 25 and 30. Just to finish a match when you may only pick up 1 to 4 targets on a stage takes a good attitude.

Good luck 3 gunners- make us proud!

From the photos `i have seen' people look a little sleepy - this could be because of the night stage or the fact the whiskey was out early...... In FB3DQs case I think its the whiskey.... :lol:

whiskey what up!!!

Has anyone heard results?

I was going to call Trapr yesterday evening, but I wanted to give him time to decompress. This looked like the kind of match that would wear you out mentally.

Jermy Parker won military. Congrats to Jermy.

I have some friends who were there as sponsors. I expect to hear from them soon. They had asked me back when they signed on if I was interested in shooting and all I could think of was laying out there in the cold trying to keep my naughty bits from freezing. No thanks.

Jeremy won the military division, barely edging out my partner and "super spotter/shot caller" Jeff Cramblit. Trapr also finished strongly in the military division. The 3-gun crowd was definitely well represented amongst a very strong field of shooters. We had a great squad and kept each other laughing through the tough shooting and weather conditions.

The match was definitely challenging both from a shooting and weather perspective. Us softies from below the Mason/Dixon were definitely suffering in the single digit weather. Each hit on a target was golden. You went from feeling lower than whale sh&t on one stage to being elated on the next.

The key to the match was being able to accurately estimate target ranges through milling and spotter/partner communication. A bit different from what we're use to but fun none the less.

Thanks to Joe, the RO's and sponsors for the hard work and support. They're planning to hold a Precision rifle/carbine match at Rockcastle in July which should be a hoot!

I forgot to add- all squads were shooting the night stage after dark yesterday. I didn't stick around this late so it will be interesting to hear about it from some of the guys.

The night stage involved shooting 4 MGM flash targets that were semi illuminated. Distance were from 125 to 350ish yards. You had one minute and 9 rounds to hit them from the prone position. No white lights allowed before or during shooting. An illuminated mil or moa reticle definitely helped as adjusting the elevation knob was impractical.

That was the only stage that I thought could have been a bit better organized. I don't believe they finished until after 10:00pm. I'm sure the MD and helpers learned and it will flow more smoothly next time.

Has anyone heard results?

I was going to call Trapr yesterday evening, but I wanted to give him time to decompress. This looked like the kind of match that would wear you out mentally.

Jermy Parker won military. Congrats to Jermy.

Jeremy is a good shooter and a nice guy to boot :cheers:

FB3GDQ - Do we know each other?

Edited by GunCat

Has anyone seen the results for all competitors? I can't find anything but a list of the tops in each division. Sounds like they may have some bugs to work out if you read the snipers hide forums but still has lots of potential.

MLM

Jeremy Parker won military as previously stated, hats off to him he just bought his rifle in Dec and wne t and won the match a month later. He shot a solid match getting decent points on every stage and let that total up in the end, great shooting my friend. In addition after shooting with Jeremy over the last year if 3 gun had a most improved player award I would have to nominate Jeremy,as I have watched him make huge strides over the last year and predict he will be a quiet, nice, fun loving force to be reckoned with in 3 gun as well.

I took second in military shooting a 308 gas gun, as any self respecting 3 gunnner should, Trapr sho a gas gun as well. George Gardner, one of the generous sponsors took third. I am pretty sure Clark Kennedy took first in Heavy division shooting a Barrett, another of the match sponsors. Clark was teamed with our 3 gun friend Tom Fuller, now working for Bushnell who was also a generous sponsor.

As always the comoradere at Rockcastle events was over the top and the "socializing" didn't ent until after 1am on Thursday, Friday and Maybe Sat nights, I pulled the plug a little earlier on Sat after the night shoot

Rounding out the rest of the 3 gun guys was Ben Fortin, Chris Schecichano. (however you spell his name) and John from JP rifles who also generously sponsored the match. Asmy good friend and spotter David Tapp (6th Open, Dave, we gotta get you some more velocity) pointed out we had a great squad and if they had found us all frozen it would have been with smiles on our faces, probably from helping out Ben. :cheers:

A huge thanks goes out to Joe and all his RO's who braved the cold weather with us, lesser men would have thrown in a towel. I want those guys spotting the steel for me on any long range 3 gun match I shoot or run, calling was first rate, I've seen none better and left no doubts in my mind of the quality of folks Joe can bring to the game

Thanks all, see you once I thaw

jeff

Thanks Jeff for those results, I was looking for far down the line, total results for all shooters. My brother was shooting & I wanted to know whether to congratulate him for not being last or commiserate with him if he was. Maybe stage scores as well.

Thanks!

MLM

Has anyone seen the results for all competitors? I can't find anything but a list of the tops in each division. Sounds like they may have some bugs to work out if you read the snipers hide forums but still has lots of potential.

MLM

There's some bitching along with some constructive suggestions over on The Hide about the match but most of the feedback is quite positive. Lots of people were definitely out of their comfort zones from both the weather and the stage designs. I'm sure Joe will tweak a few things but he'll always put on a tough match.

I think one of the reasons that the 3-gunners did well is b/c we've learned to read stages and make decisions on how to shoot them. There were some outrageously small targets way out there, but most of us just skipped them and concentrated on what we thought we'd hit and didn't waste time on the other stuff. I was trying to figure out how many of us did so well compared to the sniper match afficianados and I guess that's why (along with some good shooting by Jeremy, Jeff & Trapr etc)

Edited by dt1