Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW U die in Dillon 650

tgford58

As a note to others loading .45. I installed an EGW U die in the second stage of my Dillon 650 to address and issue I was having with bulged bottoms on some cases. What I had found is that out of 100 rounds loaded I was getting 5 - 10% that were not fitting my case gage. Most all shot in practice but I won't use them in competition. After investigating roll sizing and reading othere issues on this site, I followed the suggestion to buy the U die to work the bottom of the case better.

There was some problem in istallation, the die was not quite long enough to reach the shell plate and still have the locking nut make contact with the threads. I have it spaced up maybe 3/4 of a turn higher than I would normally - a problem I am going to fix by shimming under the nut as it is loose on the die and screwing it tight to the bottom.

First 500 rounds through the press - even with this less tha ideal set-up - I had no rounds not fit the gage except for 2 that has small wrinkles in the case mouth. The handle works a bit harder but not so much as to make it uncomfortable for either me or my wife.

I still think roll sizing is a good option and will probably send my brass out and have it all sized and sorted. But for day to day operation, especially with range brass - this seems to work real well.

Place the lock nut on the bottom side of the tool head.

You can also turn the nut upside down and get a little more. Put the O-ring some where so you won't lose it.

Have a little kindness in your heart for the wife get a can of one shot and put a little on those cases for her. :roflol:

I asked the wife where she wanted to go for our anniversary the other day. She said somewhere she had not been in a long time. I said the Kitchen..... not good.

Great ideas, sure beats the heck out of cutting shims.

You know I may have to lube cases a bit for her. With the two dies I'm afraid her right arm may start looking like Popeye.

Heck of a story on anniversaries. Ours was August 1st - spent it at a club match. Damn I have the perfect woman.

Great ideas, sure beats the heck out of cutting shims.

You know I may have to lube cases a bit for her. With the two dies I'm afraid her right arm may start looking like Popeye.

Heck of a story on anniversaries. Ours was August 1st - spent it at a club match. Damn I have the perfect woman.

WoW! :surprise: Yes you do!

To reinforce what others have said, I did the following with Lee dies: 1) Replaced the die lock rings with the new Dillon 1" lock rings; makes it FAR easier to work with the dies on the toolhead. 2) Put the lock rings on the bottom of the toolhead; this works no differently than putting them on top....except that you have plenty of thread to work with.

Well here's the report out on the EGW U die. I readjusted the die with the locking ring on the underside and have it set 1/8 turn short of touching the shell plate. After 2500 rounds the only rejects have been 5 for a ding in the case mouth where the case feeder didn't push the case all the way back. Typically we would have had 50 - 75 rejects on this many rounds loaded. Yes, it is a bit stiffer to load but with the blast of one shot not so much as to cause any problems. Going to run another 1000 or so tonight and expect the same results. $29 dollars and my problems are solved.

• 2 weeks later...

The teflon sounds like an idea. Powdered Graphite would make one heck of a mess.

Where are you buying the Teflon?

I would like to know as well........

Do a Google search for "teflon powder".

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

Well here's the report out on the EGW U die. I readjusted the die with the locking ring on the underside and have it set 1/8 turn short of touching the shell plate. After 2500 rounds the only rejects have been 5 for a ding in the case mouth where the case feeder didn't push the case all the way back. Typically we would have had 50 - 75 rejects on this many rounds loaded. Yes, it is a bit stiffer to load but with the blast of one shot not so much as to cause any problems. Going to run another 1000 or so tonight and expect the same results. $29 dollars and my problems are solved.

The instructions that came with my U die said to adjust it where it touched the shell plate. Just curious why you backed your off 1/8 of a turn.

I use Lee undersize dies on all my 650s, 9mm Major,40,38 super (for my 627) and 45. They are all in the first station and I have no problems. The die touches the shell plate and I use case lube. Why are you using two sizing dies?

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering why you use 2 sizing dies also. In addition, by putting the U die in Pos #2, you loose the use of the powder check. I have my U die in Pos #1 (almost touching the shell plate) and it works very good. Have one for 9mm but haven't used it yet, but will when the time comes.

As the OP, I use a dillon sizer die in station 1 and the Lee in station 2.

In the event a case doesn't make it all the way into position on station 1, the dillon die with its larger opening is a bit more forgiving and will "move" the case into position.

Of course if its way off, the case will still get crushed. Also, i found the spring loaded dillon decapping pin works much better than the Lee decapping pin.

With the Lee U die in station 1, the room for error is much smaller due to its smaller opening.

The cons of using two sizing dies is the loss of the powder check station but I visually inspect each case for powder so its not much of an issue.